PDA

View Full Version : Looking toward future expansion

TerryT
08-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Ok, I'm thinking of upgrading from my old computer. Looking at an HP, 8 gig system memory, 1 terabyte HD, quadcore processor, windows8. Only problem is the Intel 2500 video card. Anyone have any idea how well (or if at all) it will handle designer and other 3d software? I have a 6 year old nvidia geforce 8500 that I could probably stick in it but I'm thinking there has to be something better. Any advice would be appreciated.

Deolman
08-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Just a couple of considerations, first of all you pay a lot for brand name- propriety hardware. You might consider putting it together your self. I deal with a company called mwave.com. They have many menu-option packages to choose from. For a minor fee, they will put it together and test it for you. Then when the warranty runs out and it breaks, you can purchase off-the-shelf-parts much, much cheaper. (I have never had had a failure from them since 1996.) It sure doesn't cost much to look.

I can't say too much regarding the Intel video card. I am using Nvidia.

Now if you want it really fast, consider a solid state drive for boot up and perhaps paging. But then again with 8gb a paging file might be a moot point. Here is an interesting writeup:

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx?Redirected=true

Good luck to you. It will be interesting to see what you finally end up with.

Proctorw
08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Terry, I have a quad core desktop. After going to the conference, I developed LAPTOP ENVY after watching some of the other folks follow along on their own machines. Being able to take designer with me on the road became a goal. I also want to take sign orders at the fall craft shows we will be attending. With the laptop, I can design signs on the fly, get approval and payment from the customer and mail the sign out with in a week or two . I found a great deal at Best Buy on a Quad Core Laptop. It is plenty fast and I have encountered no issues. I really enjoyed having the laptop and taking on vacation with me and catching up on the 2d/3d tools which I don't seem to have time to learn. My 2 cents.

TerryT
08-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions.
Deolman, I have been looking at some custom stuff also. That may be the way I go.

Proctorw, I never thought about designing signs, etc, at the shows. That is a good idea.

I've done some looking on the internet and it looks like the intel 2500 is kind of "iffy". I think I'll stick with the Nvidia or better.

eelamb
08-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Terry, the nvidia is still the best. While you are looking, look into the dual video, it will mean a lot to you once you get used to it. Also look at newegg.com and choose the video card with about 2gb ram on it. Price on them are in the $60-$80. I work with a local builder, and he builds the systems to my specs for my customers. Can not remember the model of the video card I get (normally about 10 full system per month). Custom built DO last longer.
I will check with him tomorrow as to the model for the video card.

badbert
08-26-2013, 11:16 PM
+1 for newegg.com +1 for build it yourself!

TerryT
08-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Terry, the nvidia is still the best. While you are looking, look into the dual video, it will mean a lot to you once you get used to it. Also look at newegg.com and choose the video card with about 2gb ram on it. Price on them are in the $60-$80. I work with a local builder, and he builds the systems to my specs for my customers. Can not remember the model of the video card I get (normally about 10 full system per month). Custom built DO last longer.
I will check with him tomorrow as to the model for the video card.

Eddie, sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about the dual video?

eelamb
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Terry the video I have been getting lately is the AMD (was ATI) Radeon, GV-R7750C by gigabyte, with 2GB ddr3 memory on board. Newegg.com has them and I have had no trouble with them to date.
As for as the dual video. I have one on my system, a dual video card, with two monitors sitting side by side. I can (if minimized) drag any windows to the second screen, and if closed from there, it will open there the next time I start it. This allows me to have say a photo editing program open on right moitor, and 3d program open on left, while I draw or sculpt. Many of my customers has the same, but they have applications open on both monitors like outlook on one and their main app on the other. Most that use dual monitors WILL NOT SETTLE for just one after user dual.

About the computer, bump it up to 16GB ram (little extra cost), make sure it is either an I5, or I7 processor. Plus on the I5 make sure it is a quad. Initial I5 were dual processors with 4 threads. Then once Intel got their act together, they started making it a quad. So they are still unloading the failed quads as dual on the market. Many are miss lead with the 4 threads, thinking it is a quad. I7 is the best deal if you can get that one. Will run about $100 more for it.

And if at all possible get win7 on the computer. Win7 is still being sold and installed. Win 8 metro UI is a real pain, but if you have to go that way, send me a PM and I will tell you where to get a program to make the computer boot to the win7 user interface, if you wish. I hear win9 will be back to normal UI, no metro.