PDA

View Full Version : Carving started fine then lost it's mind

johnathanw
02-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I started this sign with no problem. Everything seemed to be going along fine then about 7 inches in the carving bit went DEEP making about an inch of nasty grooves. It then appeared to get back on track for another 7 inches or so. At this point the carving became shallower and shallower until the bit wasn't even touching the board. I wasn't present when the carving was going on...I started it & came back when it was time to put the cutting bit in to find this mess. (pictures of 1st problem attached)

I ran the sign a 2nd time without problem until the motor seemed to run at half speed while cutting the sign out. After 3 passes it ground to a halt and never finished cutting.

After that I gave it a 3rd try...the machine went through the start up fine asking for each bit...then as it began the carving the bit went straight down, through the board and snapped off as the head moved left. Now I'm waiting for new bits and wondering if I should attempt the 4th try or if something is majorly wrong.

Any suggestions or similar problems?

thank,
brian

Jeff_Birt
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Brian, First suggestion: do some searching in the troublshooting section. The search function is your friend. (i just searched for Z axis and had several hits)

The problem you are haing is symptomatic of a Z-Axis motor encoder problem, loose Z-axis belt or loose Z-axis truck. Look at the similar posts in the trbublshooting section for ideas but you will problably need to call CW on this one.

jspringertx
02-14-2007, 07:58 AM
I am going to Pasadena today with the same problem. I will post the results in the forum under my previous post "error code 439"

I know the belt is okay and I assume that the cable has come loose. This is my second visit with my machine and I am confident that they will find the problem.

CareWright has an excellent support staff and if you call them they can probably talk you through the problem. I wouldn't suggest you insert a new bit until they have a chance to diagnose the problem.

jspringertx
02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I took my unit to Pasadena and they worked on it for several hours. The test worked just fine and when I returned home to run a sign it was okay for 6" in carving and then started a gradual plunge. I have left the unit unattended and when I returned the bit had penetrated the 3/4" cherry board, touched the bottom of the unit and then stopped.
I sent my program to CW for them to check out as this is exactly what happened a week ago,