PDA

View Full Version : have pdf file of a jig that i would like to carve in wood

temler
08-23-2013, 08:57 AM
hi all

it's been a long time since i have felt like using my CW. my doctors finally found some relief for all my pain. just a little relief but that is better than none. it has been over 2 years since i have turned any of my machines on. I know i need to put a lot of updates on and but some updates but i think i can still do what i need with out upgrade or i hope.
I am trying to take a drawing64244 that is in PDF format and turn it into something that i can carve from. what it is, is a jig for putting together model railroad switches together. I need to carve the RR tie into the wood jig then just a small grove where the railroad rail goes and all the other parts go. the pdf file is to scale, it is a template that you can lay things out on but i want to make it into a jig so all i do is put all the ties into there slots then put rail and tie plates on top of that and then hope they will stay in place while i spike them down to the tie. I think it would be cool.

please help i have forgotten so much, i think it is all the pain killers or maybe old age, but i am only 55 that not too old. ha
Thanks again
Tim

rcdages
08-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Tim,

Pleased to see you on the forum and to hear that the Doctors have fond some relief for your pain.

I will keep you in my prays.

aokweld101
08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
If I'm seeing the image right ..its one half of the pattern, here is what I came up with. if I'm right I can go farther with helping you.

bergerud
08-23-2013, 10:11 AM
If I understand it, instead of just placing the ties and track on top of the paper templates, Tim wants to make the templates out of wood with shallow slots cut for the ties and tracks to sit into as a jig for holding the parts as they are pinned together. It seems to me that this could all be slots milled with a 1/8 cutting bit. The track width looks like 1/8 and the ties look like 3/16. I would try to get the image into Designer as a background trace and draw the bit paths.

aokweld101
08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry I got the frist pattern wrong...

temler
08-23-2013, 04:58 PM
If I understand it, instead of just placing the ties and track on top of the paper templates, Tim wants to make the templates out of wood with shallow slots cut for the ties and tracks to sit into as a jig for holding the parts as they are pinned together. It seems to me that this could all be slots milled with a 1/8 cutting bit. The track width looks like 1/8 and the ties look like 3/16. I would try to get the image into Designer as a background trace and draw the bit paths.

thanks bergerud that is what i was trying to explain that i need and you did a much better way. I am on so many pain killers i don't explain things to well, but my brain does work well but i can't get it out the way i want to. but you got the idea of what i want. thanks aokweld for trying but that looks like just one rr tie, i need to have all the dark rr ties in the jig and all the rr rail groves. the problem it has to be very close tolerance or the train will wreck.
thanks all
Tim

temler
08-23-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry I got the frist pattern wrong...

well i will have to check this out after i update my carvewright ver 1.125 i think. it has been a long time since i used the program. should i try to save my money up and get the new 2.0 ver. I don't use it much so is it worth updating it.
thanks to all
Temler

DLG
08-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Tim, I understand what you need. I have downloaded the complete Fast Trackfile for your turnout. I can lay it outin my CAD program then DXF it into Designer. Your board will be about 5 1/2” wide x 28” long (plus 7”). I have the tie spacing at .417”, except forthe two on either side of the switch lever.
I am running Designer version 1.187.
I have some questions that need to be answered.
1) How thick of a board do want to use: ½”, Ύ”,etc.?
2) Do you have a 3/16” cutting bit or just the 1/8”that comes with the machine?
3) What is the width is your track at the base?
4) What is the width and height of your wood ties?
5) What is the width and height of your PCB ties?
6) Do you want the ties to lay snuggly in theirslots or can the slots be cut longer than the ties?
7) Do you want both the right and left hand TO’s?
I am in the middle of finishing my HO & O gauge layouts,so this might take me a few weeks to complete.
PM me with your answers and we can communicateby email as the Designer Project file(s) will be large.

Digitalwoodshop
08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Tim,

If you have any old projects files, suggest moving them to a directory outside of CarveWright. In the upgrade process of Designer you might loose them in the upgrade... IF you do have something valuable, you might wait for further instruction from LHR or someone here that is up on that....

Welcome Back !!!!

AL