PDA

View Full Version : power corde

dench
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
my cw dint come whith a ground on the power supply cord if carving plastic materials woud the static electicity be harmfull to the computer any one whith expertise in this area ty dench

Jeff_Birt
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Ty, there has been some debate in this area. The two pronged cord was done for UL rating. Som ehave grounded the machine frame. If you ground the frame with a local ground (i.e. water pipe, ground rod etc). The local ground should be tied to your electrical system ground rod. This keeps everything at the same potential and will keep you from getting shocked.

The Bard
02-13-2007, 01:51 PM
the machine was insulated fine before. Most grounding problems have been people adding aftermarket dust collectors and vaccuums to the machines and messing it up.

If you use the machine as it was designed you should have no problems.

dench
02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
ty to jeff and the bard for the reply on the power corde dench

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I should have been more clear, if you are grounding a machine (or yourself, or whatever) to prevent staic build up it's best to put a 1 meg Ohm resistor in series with the ground lead. This will allow the staic charge to drain off without allowing a significant amount of current flow in case of an electrical problem. This is the same manner in which wrist straps and static mats are grounded.

But as Bard says, you should not need to do anything (unless you have a really unusual case).

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Jeff, I was thinking the same thing.... For the same reasons.... Bleed off Static.... Are you a fellow Electronic guy???

AL

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Al, yes I'm geeky as charged :lol: . I'm a research engineer for UMR.

edzbaker
02-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Awww, one of you guys ought to go ahead and tell us all how to identify a 1meg ohm resistor.... bad boys rape our young girls... You know the lines...right ?? ha just pickin at ya.. thanks for the ideas on grounding.