PDA

View Full Version : Attention Computer Gurus, need advice!

dehrlich
08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Ok, this has nothing to do with the carvewright, but I'm sure someone here can help me. So here's the deal, my laptop, which had all my design software on it was acting up. I took it to a repair shop, and long story short, when I got it back the display didn't work any more. I took it back, they couldn't figure it out even after talking to Toshiba. I ended up buying a new laptop, which I needed anyway. Problem is, I can't transfer any of my files off the old computer because I can't see anything to start the transfer program. It will no even work to hook a standard monitor to it. I'm guessing about the only option I have is to pull the hard drive, get an adapter and hook it directly to the new one. Anyone got another idea?

Only good part is I got a new HP Pavilion, 17", quad core with 8 GB of memory. Ought to make designing a lot easier!

Icutone2
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear that, but you have the answer that I would do.
Sorry that is all i can say.
Lee

mtylerfl
08-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Most laptops support an external display monitor. Check to see if you have a VGA output. If so, you can temporarily connect a monitor to see what you're doing. I do this on my older Dell 610 laptop that runs my ShopBot machine (essentially giving me two displays to look at depending on where I'm standing). For that laptop, it does NOT automatically "engage" the connected external display when it is first plugged in. I had to press the Function key (labeled Fn) while also pressing the F8 key (labeled CRT/LCD) to get the monitor to display. Your laptop will have something similar, but may be a totally different "F" key...just look for the one labeled CRT/LCD.

bergerud
08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I think his video card is gone.

mtylerfl
08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I think his video card is gone.

If so, then attaching an external monitor won't work. ;)
:p

chief2007
08-20-2013, 06:41 PM
You can purchase a hard drive enclosure, remove the hard drive from the old laptop, place it in the adapter and you now have an"external hard drive" you can recover your data from via USB port.

Best buy, Office Depot, Amazon should have them. I have used them several times to recover my data.

Digitalwoodshop
08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Unless the Computer Guy plugged in the External Monitor then it is possible that the Function Key was not pushed and like MT said... On my laptop it is Function F4 to activate the jack. No Push, No SEE.... Worth a Double Check...:idea:

OR a USB Hard Drive Case will work too....

AL

dehrlich
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Ya, tried the monitor thing, doesn't work. I think the video card is gone too. Strange that it was working fine before I took it to get repaired, then it's gone when I bring it home. Guess removing the hard drive is my only option. Thanks!

bergerud
08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I think you should at least get them to transfer the data for you. They may have software like LapLink or they may be able to put your old drive in another laptop.

fwharris
08-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I would for sure take it back to them since they seem to have caused the issue. Sure hope you did not pay them...

Capt Bruce
08-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Another vote for removing the harddrive and mounting it in an external case with USB attachment. I've had to do this twice over the years, once with a Toshoba Notebook and recently with a Vaio. In both cases it was far cheaper than paying estimated out-of-warranty repair estimates and removed the possibility of them ruining the harddrive too. Nobody values your data like you do. Look for an on-line User Group for your PC brand to provide advice and precautions. Best of luck.

dehrlich
08-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Kind of an update. A certain computer repair shop is going to be on fire when I go in there. I tore the laptop down today to get the hard drive out. First, they were supposed to have cleaned the inside, but the duct from the fan was full of dirt and lint, and a lot of dirt in other areas. Second they were supposed to upgrade the ram, but the chip that was in it was the 2gb it had originally instead of the 4gb one I paid for. Obviously when they couldn't get it working they took the new one back out. I'm gonna get my money back!

cestout
08-21-2013, 06:30 PM
The up side of getting an external hard drive is it can then be used as you backup hard drive. Look at "Backup EZ" for the software. Mind backs up all my files every Friday night so if I loose something it is never more that a week. And I do an image the first of every month so in the event of a major catatrastroke I can put it all back together no more then a month old, then replace the files from last week.

Digitalwoodshop
08-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Humor me.... Start up the laptop and slowly open the display further and further then close it slowly watching for the display to come back on... A High Failure on Laptops is the "FSC" type Cable for the screen display, data, and power... Along with the Fluorescent Light.

And BAD computer Shop.... A lesser knowledgeable person would have missed the RAM Swap... and the Dust...

I use Carbonite as a back up with the additional ability to IMAGE my Computer to a 2nd USB Hard Drive. So I have the Laptop Memory, the USB Hard Drive with the bulk of the old files on it. All backed up with Carbonite. Then a separate USB Hard Drive that is a Image, that contains all my programs and stuff... All for $99.00 a year... It did take 2 months for all the files to get backed up... I was told this by a computer shop... Slow but SO Worth it.... I just bought a 500 Gig Hard Drive and I am moving the stuff from the 260 Gig over to it... Because the USB Hard Drive is Mechanical I replace them every few years...

ONE last trick.... My computer buddy told me a trick he uses.... Place the laptop in a big Zip Lock Bag... Put it in the Freezer over night... Next morning plug it in.... The less Condensation in the AIR the better..... or it will get Sweat Wet....

AL

dehrlich
08-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Well Al, thanks for the advice. I would try that but, ummm... the old laptop is no longer in useable condition. When I took it apart to get the hard drive out and had discovered some of the other stuff I was not so gentle with it. It probably would go back together but not worth trying lol.

Digitalwoodshop
08-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, it was worth mentioning... I talked to my computer buddy today and he said a no boot or hard drive problem with a easily removal hard drive, just pull it and freeze it in a Zip Lock bag... It is usually is frozen bearings that the Freezer makes work again...

AL