PDA

View Full Version : Carve regions slanted?

gwhiz
08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to carve a "text on top of text" logo on the back of a wedding bench. I decided to test in on a piece of MDF and it didn't work out as planned (I'm glad that I tested it!). The carve region...an oval in this case...is slanted--it starts deeper than designed and ends up shallower, carving right out of the board. The oval is .125" deep, but it starts carving about 1/4" and ends up air carving.

I'm running 1.187 -- (build 10870 if that makes a difference).

It did it twice in a row, so I started fresh with a reboot, new mpc from scratch and non-overlaid text--just the word "Closet" in raster set in in a .125 deep oval. Same result except the carve region depth is very inconsistent.

I'm thinking that this is a software issue? Anybody see anything like this in 1.187?

lynnfrwd
08-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Spindle type?

unitedcases
08-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Just for giggles, dirty z encoder?

Digitalwoodshop
08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Some serious problems here....

Could be mechanical as in roller rail bearings bad or dirty or the rails....

Could even be a loose bearing.... with power off and a bit in the machine, "Carefully" do the tug in every direction looking for a loose mechanical... Even could be the corrugated damper around the lower spindle bearing.... There is a correct name for it, but I can't remember it... I call it a damper... or was it tolerance ring....

Then Electrical....

And like above, you could have a dirty Z encoder or a even a loose clear disk.

Then we have the FSC Cable.. It can be bad too.....

I made a post on testing the Z the other day using the LCD....

And lastly... Like asked above... What Chuck do you have and any chance of bit slippage? Or a damaged or dull bit... ding ding ding... We have a winner... :)

Good Luck,

AL

gwhiz
08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
OK--I'm embarrassed that I posted this. It's a Carvetight spindle. But I'd forgotten that the bit that I had in is one that I pressed out of a Quick Change chuck and have in a split collet. And yes, it was slipping. I neglected to check the basics! (At least I checked to see that the machine was plugged into the wall before posting!)

Sorry gang--but thanks for the responses!

bergerud
08-20-2013, 11:12 AM
You need an ER11M adapter!

lynnfrwd
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
You need an ER11M adapter!

OR a bit with a hard pressed adapter!