PDA

View Full Version : Cover sensor problem

moofrank
02-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm 3 weeks in, and have still yet to get a reasonable test carving out of mine.

The current problem is the cover sensor keeps tripping--but only when the router motor is active. I've tried a few mechanical hacks, pressing the cover door down firmly with both hands, tightening all of the cover screws, reseating the cover cable, and even the tiny wad of paper jammed in the cover door sensor to try to keep it closed.

And...nothing. Projects halt a few seconds after the router motor fires up. Chris is supposed to send me a new sensor---the cover sensor seems a little wonky, sometimes failing to activate when you poke it with a screwdriver while staring at the sensor test.

But, I wonder if power isn't a possibility. The router should run off a higher voltage and mostly seperate circuitry from the sensor chips---but does it really?

Moo,
Frank

Jeff_Birt
02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
The rear cover switch is wires in series with the motor. If the switch is flaky it will indeed cause the motor to stop. The other thing you can look for is the connections where the switch meets the motor wiring harness. Unplug your machine. If you open the cover and, from the cover side of the machine, look into the back right corner on top. You can see a wiring harness, which is the lead from the cover switch, which goes down through a piece of green/grey looking cardboard right behind the motor. A small black wedge shaped piece of plastic keeps the wires in place. Pull up in this gently and inspect the connections (barrel connectors)make sure they are plugged together snugly and securly fastened to the wires.