PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with bit locating on Swing Arm?

Bill
02-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Hello,
Jeff you can move this post if you like I could not find yours to add this to it.

(Trouble with bit locating on Swing Arm? This may help.)

I had been having problems with the bit locating on the Swing arm and had seen
a post by Jeff using Chain Wax. The y-truck is a porous casting and the swing arm
is steal and it seemed to set up a binding affect between the two.

So not having Chain Wax I tried Candle wax and you can believe this or not but it did the job.
This had lasted for about a week and I noticed it was not swinging out all the way again so
I switched wax again and used Ski Wax as most all know Ski Wax reduces most all friction
and so far (knock on wood) no problem what so ever Swing arm comes out and the bit hits
dead center on the swing arm.

I put the wax on the edge of the y-truck that contacts the swing arm and also on the
radius edge of the swing arm. Seems like once the pores are filled with the wax on the Y-truck it
operates fine you may need to put the wax on occasionally keeping the pores filled.

I have also attached a few pictures showing there is no debris attaching to the waxed areas on the Y-truck
or the swing arm (Before cleanup)

PS
It was called to my attention that Ski Wax is not readily available in all parts of the U.S.
I have found out that the wax on Surf Boards, water skis are the same or just about the
same thing and should work as well as the Ski Wax.

Bill.

Jeff_Birt
02-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Very nice Bill! Perhaps the CW guys may pay some heed now and find a 'reccomended' lubricant. In one of our conversations, Bill also mentioned that perhaps a bit of teflon on the Y-truck contact point would solved the problem. That also sounds like a good possibility.

Hawg_man
03-08-2007, 04:55 AM
I had the same problem after a week of flawless operating and put a small amount of Silicon spray on it and it is now working every time. Was carefull not to overspray and also wiped the area with a cloth to remove any excess.:)

toothpicks
03-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Just curious - did you already go through all of the other steps in the sticky about the bit plate and still have the problem?

Digitalwoodshop
03-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Had the bit flag problem today and used a fine sharpening stone to hone a burr out of the rounded part where the x or y, not sure goes right and hit's it.

AL