PDA

View Full Version : O ring replace or not? Calibration needed?

keninar
08-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Just had another sand paper belt give up on me - but I'm getting used to that. Can now change them in my sleep.
(However, It does give me a repetitive sequence to make sure the X-drive gears don't' get fouled!)

But that's not my query at this point.

In the process of removing the inbound belt assembly, I discovered that the rubber o-ring on the brass roller was missing. Found the broken carcass under the belt assembly.

Time to hit the forum and see if someone had posted the size. Sure 'nuf, Mr. T had posted the desired information for both old and new rollers. Have a 1.5 year old C machine - new roller. Many Thanks, Mr. T. Now know the size.

Not being in a position to run down to the local hardware store to see if they might, by chance, have one, I continued to review the discourse on "The Saga of the Rubber O-Ring."

Much to my surprise - I discovered that at the 2011 Conference, the o-ring was declared unnecessary. Connie further explained the possible situations where it could be beneficial. All great information.

Then I happened onto the discussion relating to the potential need for calibration. The analogy (which, by the way, made sense to me) was that the "initial" diameter of the roller with the o-ring (as my machine was shipped) is actually larger that the ring without the o-ring. One could then surmise that the rotational equivalent - how far the machine thinks the board has traveled in one revolution - would be different between the two setups.

I religiously use masking tape (Thanks Bud!) and if I read things correctly, that should suffice.

But the question remains - Will it require a recalibration if I originally had the new ring on my roller - and I now attempt to carve with no o-ring at all?

Cannot Thank those that follow these forums enough. Without your support since purchasing my machine - I'd have nothing be a paperweight!

Thanks!

Ken

bergerud
08-17-2013, 12:32 PM
The O ring compresses to the diameter of the brass roller. (Remember the brass roller marks on the wood.) So, the diameter as far as calibration is concerned is the same. You should have no worries. To test, just measure a board!

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Numerous Sand Paper Belts, not your real question.. but check head level... It can cause broken belts.

2 boards one under each side with a strip of paper on each. Crank down pull paper.. One pulls free.. Head high...

AL

Icutone2
08-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Good call Al That is a sure fire way to see the dif. in head location
Thanks
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
That paper idea comes from AskBud. Rest in Pease Buddy.

AL

keninar
08-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for your responses.

Bergerud - Thanks, That concept never crossed my mind - but makes perfect sense. Again , Thanks!

Al, Thanks for the comment. My problem with paper sandpaper belts has nothing to do with head levelness. The last batch of sandpaper belt replacements would separate at the seam even before I got them back to the machine. If they didn't separate when I released the pressure during the re-install process - they would fail at the joint over the next day or two. Never lost one during a carve except the first one (original to the machine) which was my fault.

Bought 2 sets - all 4 failed. Connie was kind enough to replace them. #4 failed a few months ago. Since then I've been involved with radiation and chemo - so didn't get back to it til yesterday.

Installed the first of the replaced replacements yesterday afternoon. This belt held overnight (I saw no need to re-install on the machine until I was relatively certain it would not fail immediately.) One of the seams looks like it is beginning to open up - but hasn't split completely yet. Will keep fingers crossed.

Again - Thanks for the comments and Thanks to those who support learning via this forum.

Ken

liquidguitars
08-18-2013, 04:09 PM
If you take the ring off you can get a shorter carving " I think" so it best to re calibrate to make sure.