PDA

View Full Version : using a jig

carpenter
08-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I want to start using jigs I am tired of wasting 7 inches of lumber in all carvings I made to jigs one for 11" x11" pieces the jig is 18x 11" and the other jig measures 31"x11" for 24' long pieces when I loaded the board the screen asked what the board thickness is on the card the measements are 11x11x3/4 thick do I need to change the board thickness on the settings when using a jig. Thank you for any help. Doug

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Someone else needs to chime in.... since I am still using 1.184. A change was made since 1.184 I believe...

But I believe is you load thicker board on a sled once it does the cut path bit check it will ask Project or Board...? Project as in what you entered in Designer as the thickness.. Board as real world.... Whole thickness.... But I could be WRONG....

AL

fwharris
08-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Do your project design with the actual board thickness of the board you will be carving on. If you design with the thickness of both, project and sled, and are doing any cut outs then it will try to cut through the sled and/or you will be an error message telling you the board is to thick to cut through if the total thickness is greater than the depth of the cut bit.

carpenter
08-15-2013, 09:59 PM
thanks for your response I also found info on tips and tricks. One other ? regarding jigs do I not want to stay under rollers when asked that ?. ?

Geomoo1
08-15-2013, 10:47 PM
You do not want to select "stay under rollers" as long as the jig adds at least 7+ inches (3 1/2 on each end) to the length of your project.

Proctorw
08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
I thought even with Jigs you always said Stay Under Rollers. I have with all of my carvings? I just make sure my jig accommodates
my carving and when asked where to position the carving I use the "Center" option.

carpenter
08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Ok I do not stay under rollers and select put on center what about thickness I know when I design I enter thickness of board to carve but when asked on machine the thickness from what I got from respnse do I enter thickness of carve piece and carrier board or just carved piece.

rcdages
08-16-2013, 08:33 AM
I have not had the machine ask me about Project of Board for a very long time.

All my boards or jigs have 4" added to each end so I know they will stay under rollers so I
say NO to stay under rollers.

DickB
08-16-2013, 08:38 AM
I generally use a sled with 1" rails and 4" ends. The rails allow me to carve right up to the edge of the project board if the project calls for it, yet ensure that the rollers have adequate surface to grip. I lay out my project on a board that is 2" wider and 8" longer than the actual project. I draw a rectangle representing the actual project board. I say No to Stay Under Rollers, but of course the sled will stay under the rollers. I say Place On Corner which is generally faster to set up than Center.

If the thickness of the bottom of your sled plus the thickness of your actual board is more than the capability of the machine to cut through, you won't get asked the thickness question. For example, a 1/2" thick sled with a 3/4" project board. If you do get asked, use the thickness of the project board.

Icutone2
08-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Great info Thanks
Lee

Proctorw
08-17-2013, 09:16 PM
I have not had the machine ask me about Project of Board for a very long time.

All my boards or jigs have 4" added to each end so I know they will stay under rollers so I
say NO to stay under rollers.
OK, so when I use a Jig, I have at least 4" on each side. I always so Yes to stay under rollers. What will "No" do? I haven't had any problems with "Yes", and have some carves tomorrow. Don't want to say "No" and find issues. What is the real difference? Setup Time? Early on, I swear everyone was saying to say "Yes" to the question.

Thanks,
Wayne

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Wayne,

It comes down to the length of the board in Designer and the Physical Board.

IF the Designer Board is 10 inches long and the Actual physical Board is 17 then telling the machine Yes stay under Rollers OR NO don't stay under rollers will NOT make any difference.

BUT... 11 inch Designer board and 17 inch physical board...

Tell the machine NO don't stay under the rollers and use Center on Board and it will likely carve OK.

Tell the machine YES Stay under the rollers and use Center on board and the machine will need 1 more inch and will SCALE the project down by 1 inch.... That make sense?

AL

Proctorw
08-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Yes, thanks AL!!!