PDA

View Full Version : Y Truck bearing coming loose and then the Z axis went south

Semper Fi
02-13-2007, 07:35 AM
After I finished a project, when taking the bit out, I felt play in the Y truck. The screw that holds the lower left bearing on the truck is very loose and the bearing is wobbling. Do I dare put Locktite on the screw? If not, how tight should the screw be torqued? Also, during the carving, the head locking lever fell off. I found a allen head screw and a washer, that kinda looks like a top hat, inside the machine. Does anyone know how these parts fit together, and have I found all the parts to this lever? Sure wish I had a parts diagram.

Ernie

PS. Still love the machine........... used to ride British motorcycles, so I'm kinda used to tightning up pieces after use! :roll:

Semper Fi
02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Guess this isn't a problem anymore. I just put it back together and it worked for one project, then on the next one the bit plunged into the wood and the screen went blank (except for the little squares). I called Carvewright on Wednesday afternoon and the lady said she would have Chris call me. It's Friday morning now and I haven't gotten a call yet. I don't want to call back and tie up their resources if I don't have to. Can anybody tell me how long it would normally take to get a call back? I've read on another post that Chris has said when they start doing this, they only get worse. So I came to a standstill while I wait for a call. Just hope my request didn't get dropped.

Ernie

Jeff_Birt
02-16-2007, 08:12 AM
See this post, http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1720&highlight=pinched

Sounds like the same problem I had, pinched board edge sensor wires.

Semper Fi
02-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the reply, Jeff. I had read the post you referenced, but I don't know how to take apart the truck to check it. I was a Customer Engineer for IBM and am a little hestitant to tear apart a machine that might have sequence sensitive adjustments without knowing. I tried that with a selectric typwriter once and turned it into a boat anchor.

Ernie

The Bard
02-16-2007, 09:21 AM
amen.

don't take the machine apart. Call us, and you may have to send it in.
Most companies would void the warranty if you were to randomly remove parts.

We don't usually do that, but I think we're reluctant to have people taking the trucks off. They are not easy to replace and damage to the machine could be extensive if they are put together wrong.

Semper Fi
02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Bard, can you tell me if I'm in the que to be called back?

Ernie

The Bard
02-16-2007, 11:16 AM
sure... last name?

Jeff_Birt
02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I was not meanign to suggest that removing the trucks should be attempted by everyone. As Bard says it is a bit tricky to get the bearing adjusted right and I don't want anyone to break their baby worse than it was to begin with. That being said, it is really good to know these types of signs, clues as to what might be wrong.

Semper Fi
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
No problem, Jeff. Bard and I have emailed each other and now I'm settled in to wait. Just needed to know that I hadn't dropped between the cracks.

Ernie

The Bard
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
not YET.

Semper Fi
02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Bard worked with me today......THANKS! We eliminated several things as the cause, but still not resolved. Now the creature has taken to just shutting off while into the carve, with the screen showing all dark squares up top, like when it doesn't have a card in it. I call it a creature because I'm beginning to think it has a mind of its own. Probably gonna be something simple, and I hope we find it soon. I got sawdust to generate! :lol:

Ernie

PS. Did I say thanks, Chris????

The Bard
02-17-2007, 07:08 PM
:oops:

just doing what they pay me for.

Still, if its dying mid-carve I would not rule out controller issues.

is the motor speed fluctuating?

Semper Fi
02-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Didn't seem to. At least I couldn't hear any difference. It just quit. I left it on, just the way it was when it quit.

Ernie

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I would bet that you have a pinched board edge sensor cable. Reread my post, you will see the similarities. This is a big problem guys :!: Getting the right wire in this cable shorted to machine ground kills all the sensors. Even if this short happens for only a few tens of miclliseconds how many times has the controller tried to update servo loops, etc. This is a single point of failure for all sensors :!: :!: :!:

Semper Fi
02-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Jeff, I appreciate what you're saying, but the fact remains, I do not have any instructions to tear down this puppy to see the cable, or permission to do it and not void my warranty. Catch22??

Thanks anyhow though,
Ernie

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Ernie, I'm still not suggesting that you should pull your Y-truck. I'm just saying that a permant fix needs to be found for this cable or all the Z-motor packs and board edge sensors in the world wont't help. I earestly belive that it is the root cause for a good percentage of the failures seen to date.

Semper Fi
02-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Jeff, I hear what you're saying and I would have to agree that this probably needs fixed. Now having said that, I would think that Carvewright would make available a field pack to fix this.... otherwise, if you are right, they are looking at thousands of machines coming back to have this fixed under warranty....... not he cheapest way to do this!?! This can't be rocket scientest stuff.......... after all we are hands on kinda people, right?

Bard?

Ernie

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Unless the wire was pinched during assembly (by it not being installed properly), than there is no cause for concern and no retrofit would be needed. What I'm saying is that on that small percentage of machines that have experianced problems this is one of most likely causes. Once it is fixed on these machines (new cable, properly installed), than it will never again be a problem on them either. In order to keep it from happening in the future either the assembly process or cable/cover needs to be redesigned. This is nothing unique to CW it is something that every manufacturer goes through.

OK, now I'm done with my mini rant.... :wink:

Digitalwoodshop
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Ernie,

Are you using Dust Collection? Electro Static problem?

Just want to rule that out as I am about to set up my dust collection.

AL

Semper Fi
02-18-2007, 06:05 AM
yes I am. Never thought about that..... Bard?

Ernie

The Bard
02-18-2007, 10:28 AM
HERE I COME TO SAY THE DAYYYYYYY

Ernie?

Semper Fi
02-18-2007, 10:33 AM
yes,Sir?

The Bard
02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
just figured we were spouting out random poster names...

Jeff?

Semper Fi
02-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Ok, Bard..... I was hoping you would tell me if I can try any of these things. I have left the machine sitting just as it quit, with power still on. I have a 5hp Dust Sucker and it does generate static electricity when I use it to clean up the shop. I also thought about reformating the memory card, in case it got fried too. I see the pdf for removing the Z truck motor pack and the reference to the cable that Jeff thought might be the problem, if it was pinched.

But, I didn't want to erase the operating environment if you had something you wanted to look at.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Sorry. :oops:

Ernie

pkunk
02-18-2007, 10:56 AM
With all the few word & nonsense posts by Bard, you have to believe he's trying to up his post count to look important. :roll: :D :D

The Bard
02-18-2007, 11:10 AM
damn... you caught me. Guess I'd better only post when I have something important to say.

I actually didn't read through the whole thread again... :cry:

So i'll call you right now cuz I have an idea.

Semper Fi
02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Bard, I unplugged the ribbon cable on the controler and it powered up normal looking. The Z and Y axis trucks didn't have any resistance on them. I plugged it back in and the Y truck did have resistance, but the Z didn't seem to change. The "doughnuts" you asked about on the power supply seemed to be standing up(Really down) and were secured with the gook. If I was looking at the right ones, there are 3 and the two are partially hidden by an aluminum box, which I assume is a heat sink. I also found a plastic cover , semi round, about an inch around..... I couldn't see where it might have been missing from, but it appears to be somekind of a dust cover.(it was laying on the carving motor when I saw it after putting her on her back.

Ernie

Semper Fi
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Well, at least I now know what the cover goes to............. the Z motor heat sink.

Ernie