PDA

View Full Version : Fix A Cupped Board

James RS
08-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Ok Ive been working on project on and off for awhile now
and I finally got the backer glued on. Well I noticed it cupped
on me and I'm trying to figure a way to save the project.
6 hour carved Any idears?

Thanks,
Jim:(

PCOutlaw
08-12-2013, 05:52 PM
It will take some time, but…

You can take the cupped board (depending on how cupped it is) and wet it with plain water and then put it between two pieces of larger wood and slowly clamp it back flat, do that a couple of times (wet it and clamp it), each time you clamp it make the clamps a little tighter. Slowly it will straighten out.

Just don’t clamp it too tight the first couple of times, or it might crack the cupped board.

(Some have mixed vinegar with the water, which helps, but depends on the kind of wood, some wood gets stained/lightened by vinegar.)

gashawk
08-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I've gotten away with just weighting the board flat on the floor over night, but if you glue it must be done before it drys.

James RS
08-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I've gotten away with just weighting the board flat on the floor over night, but if you glue it must be done before it drys.

It happened after it was glued and dried

James RS
08-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I will give it a shot, the wood is Poplar. I have to carve some spindles anyways
I saw on Youtube where they used a planer but I really didn't want to do that

Thanks

It will take some time, but…

You can take the cupped board (depending on how cupped it is) and wet it with plain water and then put it between two pieces of larger wood and slowly clamp it back flat, do that a couple of times (wet it and clamp it), each time you clamp it make the clamps a little tighter. Slowly it will straighten out.

Just don’t clamp it too tight the first couple of times, or it might crack the cupped board.

(Some have mixed vinegar with the water, which helps, but depends on the kind of wood, some wood gets stained/lightened by vinegar.)

RogerB
08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
You can add heat to the one side it will pull back. Use a small heater. Works for me