PDA

View Full Version : Board very jerky when measuring

TurtleCove
08-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I did a nice carving today, on a small piece of cedar. All went well.
I loaded a new piece of cedar, to attempt to reproduce.

One of the first steps is the machine measuring the board, as you all know.
As it started to move the board, the machine sounded like it was hard to move the board...like it was struggling.
It got to the end, and seemed to "see" the end fine. Then it pulled the board in further, to about the half way point.
"Check feed roller" error.
I pressed proceed.

it moved the board 1/8", then back 1/8" then forward 1/8", then back 1/8", over and over and over, doing this faster and faster and faster. It was jerking the board back and forth 1/8" at the rate of 6 times per second, when I stopped it.

I then Did a complete vaccume job, flipped the board, even tried a different board. Same exact activity.

Any ideas?

I just checked my head pressure.
Did 3 readings.
130#
118#
129#

This is too high, right? Thus the machine is struggling to move the board.
How to adjust?

bergerud
08-07-2013, 08:50 PM
That is too high. Give this a read

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_head_pressure.pdf

TurtleCove
08-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I tried cranking it down, and then backing it off one click, and sure enuf....the board moved much smoother.
I will adjust my clutch lubrication, to lessen the load.
Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
08-07-2013, 08:55 PM
The rocking back and fourth is normally a brass roller not making proper contact.

Not sure what belts you have. Sand Paper Belts roll under at the brass roller raising the board off the brass roller.

And belts can get sawdust under them causing the belts to stick on the underside.

Rolled under belt is my first choice.

AL

fwharris
08-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I tried cranking it down, and then backing it off one click, and sure enuf....the board moved much smoother.
I will adjust my clutch lubrication, to lessen the load.
Thanks!

Make sure you pack grease behind the clutch washer. After doing so put a board in and crank the head down and engage the clutch. Keep on cranking several turns. Repeat this several times and then check the head pressure. The repeated cranks will help work the grease into the clutch. You cab add more grease if needed.

Also see how many thin washers there are on the shaft of the crank handle. You can remove some to decrease the pressure.