PDA

View Full Version : tutorial for Import tracing file

aokweld101
08-06-2013, 12:28 AM
could someone help me get started on this and where to look, I can get a image on a file but don't know what do after that.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
The only one I know of is

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/vector-drawing/

aokweld101
08-06-2013, 01:02 AM
thanks again begrerud, I talked to Michael today on the phone, and he kinda told me what I was trying to do wasn't right, trying to download the programs because it wasn't a program till I made it into a program to download. so I aborted that way of thinking and gonna attack I from a different angle and start trying to do the programs with what carvewright has to offer and then learn the other programs though programs like mesh lab. As I told him when I bought the carvewright if I knew you had to do all this learning I don't know if I would of bought it..lol

Ton80
08-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Are you looking to create vector carvings of an image or 3D relief style? Either one doesn't require really learning expensive software but just learning some techniques that seem to work. I am not an expert ( still call myself a novice ) when it comes to using applications like GIMP, PhotoShop, Paint or other applications that will let you trace an image. GIMP is free and as powerful as Photoshop, and it can be almost as intimidating when you open it for the first few times if you haven't ever worked with a pro-level image editor before. But it can be fairly easy to "automate" the tracing process if you have the right type of image to work with. From there you can develop an image for a vector carve or a 3D pattern. If 3D patterns is what you're after I would think Carvewrights Creator Suite might be worth a look. If that is too expensive ( on sale for another 24 hours ), Alan M. has posted a couple of extremely useful videos demonstrating just how simple it can be to utilize GIMP and only GIMP to develop great looking 3D relief patterns as grayscale images ( heightmaps ). **** SURE DO WISH HE'D DO A FEW MORE **** ;) They are very easy to follow and inspiring... but you do need to know your way around at least the menu system of GIMP so it might not be something you're comfortable with if you have never played in GIMP before. Alan's videos are here : http://www.cncmodelclub.com/pixel-based-modeling-cnc-pattern-tutorials/

Maybe you can explain a little more what end results you're looking for and provide an image or two that you would like to work with. Don't know if I can provide anything useful but by providing a little more info you will more than likely get much better info back from the users on the forum.

mtylerfl
08-06-2013, 07:10 AM
I spoke to aokweld101 for quite some time and had a very nice conversation with him. He owns all the CW software and is in the process of learning and understanding how each module works. There was a lot of confusion regarding what the DXF and STL Importers were for and how they are used. I believe aokweld101 understands what they do now and what their purpose is.

He is currently focusing on learning the 2D and 3D Suites so he can create his own relief models. I pointed him to the two CW video tutorials (Ray Gun and Jet) as those pretty much cover all the bases as far as how both Suites are used and gives a nice step-by-step process to follow. He has viewed them several times already, but will view them some more until he "gets it".

I really admire his determination to learn how to use the software - he will not give up!