PDA

View Full Version : 3 d my first

Old Salt
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
3 d fish - miorred patterns on 1/2 hicorey glued together came out good

HandTurnedMaple
02-12-2007, 09:50 PM
The angle is a little odd in the photo, but if its a bass then it looks good.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
02-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to do one ohalf of the fish on one side of the board and then flip it over and do the other side? You could then cut a whole fish out without having to glue halves together.

Pete

BobHill
02-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Pete,

Yes you can do that, but, of course, you have to plan ahead and be sure that you leave the "cut out" still within the bounds of the initial wood, and be sure the tabs are solid enough to allow heavy carving on the back side (so I wouldn't use Cut Path, but set bit depth for path to 1/2 depth on each side. If you center the front side (both V and H) then do a flip on the back side and again center both V and H, it's going to match.

Bob

Northwoods Woodcrafter
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Nice!

Thanks Bob. My machine is supposed to arrive at my local Sears tomorrow.

I can't wait to try some stuff out. I'm really hoping that I can do some fretwork. I want to be able to cut some nice designs (cutouts) of moose, eagles, fish, etc for bookmarks made of thin wood. I'm hoping I can make the cuts in the thicker wood and then slice the thin bookmarks on the band saw (leaving a through cutout of the figure in the bookmark.

Make sense?

Pete

BobHill
02-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Pete,

Why use a band saw when you can cut directly on pretty thin wood by making and using a sled? Depending upon the thickness of the wood, the carver will do as good a job without damage as good as using a band saw to get the wood that size.

Bob

Aaron B
02-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Pete,

Yes you can do that, but, of course, you have to plan ahead and be sure that you leave the "cut out" still within the bounds of the initial wood, and be sure the tabs are solid enough to allow heavy carving on the back side (so I wouldn't use Cut Path, but set bit depth for path to 1/2 depth on each side. If you center the front side (both V and H) then do a flip on the back side and again center both V and H, it's going to match.

Bob

Bob, wouldn't you only do the cut path on the front side. It would carve the back first, then you flip it over and carve the front then do the cut path last then it will cut it out for you, then you don't have to worry about tabs since you would be done.

BobHill
02-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Aaron,

You ALWAYS want to be sure you have tabs when you do a cut through the wood on a looped path. OR, you are very likely to have the bit bounce against the inside object (the one you wish to keep) and let it fly, doing not only damage to the wood, but perhaps also to the machine. Tabs keep the inside attached to the whole wood until the bit is stopped, and then you can easily detach the two. The word is ALWAYS have a tab !

Bob

Aaron B
02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Bob, I am not saying get rid of the tabs because cut path will leave them anyway. Per your first post you stated

you have to plan ahead and be sure that you leave the "cut out" still within the bounds of the initial wood, and be sure the tabs are solid enough to allow heavy carving on the back side

You carve the back first. Then you carve the front, then do the cut out which will leave tabs. Since the cut out command is only done on the one side it shouldn't be a problem, should it??

What I am not sure of is if the carving is already on the back some wood is missing so even though it will try to leave tabs will there be any wood for it to leave tabs on?

Northwoods Woodcrafter
02-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I expect that you would only cut through on the second side, right?

BobHill
02-14-2007, 08:47 AM
If you are going to use the same file for both sides, then I guess you could use the Cut Path by eliminating it from the first side, but for me, I like to keep things even and particularly when cutting wood on a sled, so my thought process is to do that when it's a two sided cut. I make the path and make my own tabs and those tabs are a bit wider than the ones created by Cut Path. I like the better stability. And when you do the Copy/Paste for the back side, centering both on both sides, the path I create (using half wood depth for each side) will match perfectly. I'd guess either way would work just fine ...

Bob

Aaron B
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Bob, could you post an example I could download and look at?