PDA

View Full Version : Designer 2.002 Released

lynnfrwd
08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Software engineers have released 2.002.

Newsletter announcement will be out tomorrow with further description of features & possibly fixes.

See Readme.txt to see what has been changed: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/downloads/readme_2_002.txt

Also, if your thirty day trial version of 2.0 has expired, just download and run the new installation. It should work.

fwharris
08-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Wow what a long list!! Down loading now..

TerryT
08-05-2013, 06:56 PM
How about the fixed 1.187?

lynnfrwd
08-05-2013, 07:01 PM
It is my understanding, there will be a 1.188 released. Don't know for sure, when or what is in it.

TerryT
08-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Cool! That would sure be nice.
Thanks

Proctorw
08-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Lynn, Just saw your post, downloaded it immediately. 2 Things I noticed in the first 60 seconds. 1. I like the new splash screen (yes everyone it doesn't change functionality, but I still like it ;) ) 2. My POM Family project would not show up in 2.0, only 1.87. I did an update after installing the 2.002 and it showed up right away. Read the list. Your guys have been busy. Can't wait to take it for a spin tonight....

lynnfrwd
08-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Not me. The software team and beta testers, Dan, Brandon, Michael, and Jeff deserve the credit for their hard work.

lawrence
08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
edited/deleted by ldr

Dale
08-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Also, if your thirty day trial version of 2.0 has expired, just download and run the new installation. It should work.

Not sure about that. My trial version expired a few days ago so I deleted it and downloaded 2.002. When I open it I still get the message that I have 0 days left.

lynnfrwd
08-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Does it still let you play with the software with 0 days left?

lawrence
08-06-2013, 12:43 AM
post deleted by ldr

aokweld101
08-06-2013, 12:49 AM
where do I go to get the free download, It will give me time to play with it till I have the money to purchase it.

lawrence
08-06-2013, 01:01 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/update2/

aokweld101
08-06-2013, 01:51 AM
thanks Lawrence, I'm starting to really rely on people in the forum, I want to take the time to say thank you to the people that help us along in this learning process!!!!

Dale
08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Lynn, With 0 days left on trial 2.0 version it will not let me play with 2.002

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 11:05 AM
I am told, you can just download and run the 2.002 installation file and it will work. If it doesn't, try going into your control panel and removing the designer 2.001 program and then running the 2.002 installation file. Let me know, if this works or not.

RMarkey
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Nope, it won't work.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Nope, it won't work.

Not acceptable. There's got to be a way.

RMarkey
08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Not acceptable. There's got to be a way.

Yea, its called "extended trial license"

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
(Like pulling teeth....) I think I need further explanation...

RMarkey
08-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Give Dale an extended trial license through tracking. Have him update his licenses. He will get another 30-days.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Awesome! I'm a happy camper, now!!!

Dale, you will need to UPDATE LICENSES for it to take effect. Let me know.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
If you downloaded Designer 2.0 when it first came out, your 30-day trial period may have expired. We want you to be able to play with the new 2.002 version. Please let me know via email or private message and I will add the extended trial version to your account. It will only last for thirty more days.

Thank you, Metallus!

henry1
08-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Awesome! I'm a happy camper, now!!!

Dale, you will need to UPDATE LICENSES for it to take effect. Let me know.
this 30 day trail do you have delete the 1.187 before you download

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 12:56 PM
No you do not.

aokweld101
08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
downloaded the free 2.002 trial and it took awhile for the computer to turn on then took some time to open the program. then after I opened a program it crashed. do I keep trying?

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 01:39 PM
downloaded the free 2.002 trial and it took awhile for the computer to turn on

This part confuses me. Is there an issue with your computer?

aokweld101
08-06-2013, 01:41 PM
no, I was running smooth this morning

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Call a software tech and we can troubleshoot it.

SteveNelson46
08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Like Lawrence, I've been trying to break it (Version 2.002). So far I can't. Awesome job on the fixes. Has anyone read the "Reademe" file? There are so many fixes it's like reading a manual.

SteveNelson46
08-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Well, I crashed it. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Just trying to outline two objects to create a path for a cutout. It worked great the first time but, when I deleted the path and tried again... See pic

EDIT: Both objects were puffed.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Is it a repeatable crash?

SteveNelson46
08-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Is it a repeatable crash?

Yes! I did it three times.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Can you post the mpc? (You may have to decrease the amount of puffing for file size.)

SteveNelson46
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes! I did it three times.

EDIT: Of course, now that I have said it, I can't get it to repeat again. Maybe a restart had something to do with it.

If I reduce the puffing the file will not be the same.

SteveNelson46
08-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Bergerud,

You were right, the file is to large. If you PM me with your email address I'll send it to you.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Ok. I will PM you.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Well, I crashed it. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Just trying to outline two objects to create a path for a cutout. It worked great the first time but, when I deleted the path and tried again... See pic

EDIT: Both objects were puffed.

Well I gave into my curiosity and downloaded 2.002.

It crashed for me 10 out of 12 times. I quit before lucky #13.

#1 Clicked open w/preview, message flashed quickly across screen "column path not unique, unable to fetch results." So quick I could barelly read it. Then the old "gui.exe has stopped working"
#2. Opened "gui stopped working"
#3. Attempt to load same MPC I sent to Joe. "using puff in demo mode" then gui stopped working.
#4. Attempt to open MPC that works fine all other versions... "gui.exe stopped working". Died
#5. Same as #4
#6. Re opened and designer just disappeared after about 20 seconds of inactivity.
#7. Reopened and designer disappeared after about 10 seconds.
#8. Attempt to load MPC....gui died.
#9 Loaded MPC same one I sent to Joe. It loaded and I closed it without further action.
#10 Loaded another mpc. It also loaded. I closed it without further action.
#11 Clicked on MPC then on cancel before it loaded.... gui died.
#12 Restarted program.... designer just disappeared, went away completely before I could click on anything.

I'm very concerned about the future of designer. Yes my PC is a couple of years old. Over 3 gig system memory, Nvidia geforce 85oo GT graphics card on windows vista.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I think what you need to do is disable file previews. Some computers (mine) keep crashing as the program creates (in the background) previews of all of your projects and patterns. Under the help menu, click on "disable file previews". (Do it and close the program fast!)

Edit: I have 4 GB of Ram.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Why don't you call us, so we can figure out why it is crashing. You can open 20 more times and until we figure out what is up, it may just continue to crash.

Is this the first time you uploaded 2.00X? Did you have an older version of 2.001?

The first thing you did was "open with preview" which has been explained may crash until it gets through generating the database of thumbnails. It can be turned off in 2.002, but if you went to a folder that has tons of projects or patterns (and I'm confident, you have a lot), then it may take a while and have several crashes.

Also, if you are getting a gui right at the beginning. You may have something blocking it, so we would need to look at your out file.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Sorry Connie,
But since I had no interest in 2.02 ... at least until 1.187 was fixed, I wasn't following the list of instructions to get it to work.
I just saw all the "yea! It works!" stuff and decided to give it a try. I may go back and read all the posts to see if I can make it work in a day or so.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I think what you need to do is disable file previews. Some computers (mine) keep crashing as the program creates (in the background) previews of all of your projects and patterns. Under the help menu, click on "disable file previews". (Do it and close the program fast!)

Edit: I have 4 GB of Ram.

Thanks for the info. You would have to be darn quick. However, the preview would be one of the selling points for me. Interest goes away fast if I can't use all of the new features.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Terry, trust me, just turn off the file previews (for now).

bergerud
08-06-2013, 05:40 PM
EDIT: Of course, now that I have said it, I can't get it to repeat again. Maybe a restart had something to do with it.

If I reduce the puffing the file will not be the same.

I could not get it to crash. I outlined-deleted-outlined.... Played for awhile.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Terry, trust me, just turn off the file previews (for now).

Ok. I was quick enough! That seemed to slow the gui died routine, but did not eliminate it. I didn't experience any more "disapearing designer" so it's good there.
However, there is still the same problem as with 1.187. This was with 1/4 feather. No feather is not as bad but still not right.

bergerud
08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Do you see the Floor Feather check box in the middle of the tool bars? Turn it off for your pattern.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Is this the first time you uploaded 2.00X? Did you have an older version of 2.001?

Connie, It is a virgin install.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Terry:

(I am going to attempt to relay what I was told.)

One of the reasons you may be seeing so many issues with the preview is probably due to the fact that if there is anything in these files that is no longer handled, or no longer handled the same way, the Designer may crash on it the first time and then ignore it the second time. You have been a member since 2007 (and that's a good thing), but you may have more projects or patterns that were created from much earlier versions, therefore may experience more crashes until you get past the initiate database build of your preview files.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Terry:

(I am going to attempt to relay what I was told.)

Connie, got it. I'll play with it some more.
Thanks.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Do you see the Floor Feather check box in the middle of the tool bars? Turn it off for your pattern.
HOT DA.... ah..
I mean, thanks bergerud. That seems to have fixed the problem.

lawrence
08-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't like the "keep opening designer until it stops crashing" thing either... it definitely must be fixed

After a couple of days of playing with 2.xx, the crashes did diminish some (even with 2.001), but the 2.001 software was still too crashy
for me to rely on it when designing - I really just gave up in frustration after 6-8 hours of playing with it over the course of the last month.
It was used for experimentation only... and was just not reliable enough to use for actual designing

In the last 24 hours I have almost as much time playing with 2.002 as I did 2.001 over the last month...with little to no frustration
about the software itself... I can now see using it as my primary designing suite.

I suggest turning off preview for now as others suggested and trying the other features out- there are several that are pretty darned cool and now
that they have corrected some key features (like not taking away fonts and adding the ability to and it is running without crashing, 2.xx is a pleasure to use
(and it should be because now we're paying annual fees to keep it to the newest version!)

IMHO It feels like this last month has been the actual true beta tests and fixes... I think it was just released a month too early (though still is
without actual documentation in the manuals)

I obviously still have issues with portions of the new pay-scale, multiple versions, etc. (my biggest beef with LHR though is how they react when they
are given negative feedback... their PR over the last month has really been off putting) but it is GREAT to see the software being sold with the
machine still being supported and it is even better to see the software itself usable for me.

I'll kick this new version around some more first, but I'm looking forward to to making a review video MUCH more now than I was a week ago.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
There is no "fixing" it. It's kind of like taking a photographic inventory of everything in your house. A grueling task at first (especially if you have a big house), but after that you only have to take photos as new items come into it one or two at a time.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 09:53 PM
New customers (starting with an empty house) won't have the same issues you guys are that have lots of ptn's and mpc's.

TerryT
08-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Is the inability to load my own patterns because pattern designer is in demo mode? Or is there an issue there. I just get " you can only edit patterns that you made" or however it is worded.

fwharris
08-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Is the inability to load my own patterns because pattern designer is in demo mode? Or is there an issue there. I just get " you can only edit patterns that you made" or however it is worded.

Terry,

Betting it is do to the "demo" mode.. I have had no problems with working/looking at any of my patterns..

bergerud
08-06-2013, 10:56 PM

It believe it is because the demo version is not really licensed to you. As far as the program is concerned, there are two different licenses. If you upgrade, the licenses would be the same. I suppose you could go the mpw route. Save your old patterns as mpw.

lawrence
08-06-2013, 11:10 PM
New customers (starting with an empty house) won't have the same issues you guys are that have lots of ptn's and mpc's.

It is still a problem for some new users. Some are given large file libraries when they get their machines. Others download or are given the large pattern zip that Jason created a while back with all of the forum patterns included. (and some have even purchased pattern dvds from ebay)

It is also not just an issue once, it appears to be an issue every time a customer moves to a new computer (and my library isn't getting any smaller). Loading a new piece of software should not be "grueling" for the consumer. If it is, I believe there is a genuine place for complaint.

Perhaps the engineers can work out something where the inventory would be all done at once the first time it is installed ("please wait while your patterns are inventoried, this may take XXXX depending on the size of your library")

...long story short is that some of us are explaining that we found/find the crashes to be disruptive of our customer experience, especially when we don't know how many crashes/how long it will take for the photographic inventory to be taken.

V/r
Lawrence

lynnfrwd
08-06-2013, 11:19 PM
A good suggestion. Not sure if it is possible.

The "inventory" file (can't remember what it is called) can be copied, just like the favorites file can be.

dbfletcher
08-07-2013, 05:05 AM
A good suggestion. Not sure if it is possible.

The "inventory" file (can't remember what it is called) can be copied, just like the favorites file can be.

I cant see why it wouldnt be "possible". If I was the programmer, I would just extract the thumbnailing code and make it in to a stand alone utility. There is no reason it can't be made crash-proof either, but at least as a stand alone utility, people could just fire it up before the go to bed, or at times when they know they dont want to be using the computer for carvewright or other tasks. (i'd probably still leave code in designer that would create a thumbnail at project "save" time.

SteveNelson46
08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
I hate to be nit-picky but.....

Opened my mpc in 186 and the same mpc in 2.02. in 2.02 the text is all justified right. should be centered like in 186. click on text then edit text shows default set to center even though it opens right justified. Click ok and it goes to center like it should have on open.

TerryT

Not sure what your issue is but, that's a really nice sign.

SteveEJ
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Connie,

Glad to hear about the new release. I am in DC so I will not be able to test it out for a couple of days.

Reference the 'Cataloging' of all of the patterns, how about a small stand-alone program that can be run by itself as part of the install program OR by itself that just handles the inventory of files? This would reduce the size of designer itself as well because it would take all of those functions out. It could be made very robust and as crash proof as possible. Sort of a database builder/manager for patterns, mpc's, etc.

Just thinking out of the conventional box..

Thx,

Steve

lynnfrwd
08-07-2013, 02:45 PM
All good ideas, but ultimately, it is the software engineers that will have to answer to these suggestions. I will make sure they see this thread. I do know that Bergerud has been working diligently with them to come up with a satisfactory solution.

I'm just the messenger, so don't shoot me. :)

TerryT
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
When you don't know for sure what to expect it is extremely dificult to accept all the crashing, etc. But, like has been said earlier, once you get through the original making of the thumbnails it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue.

I just opened designer and let it sit there until it crashed. Restart and repeat. about 6 or 8 times then it stopped crashing then I went to different directories and sub directories and just let it sit until it had made all the thumbnails. Then just move on. It takes a few minutes (in my case an hour or two) but when its done its done. Designer actually makes the thumbnails very quickly but still, in a large directory it will take a while.

I'm still playing with it but it seems to have gotten over most of the bad habits it had.

Would making the thumbnail generation into a stand alone program really help? It seems that making the thumbnails is in itself the issue whether stand alone or inside designer.Wouldn't it be the same process?

SteveEJ
08-07-2013, 06:44 PM
No shooting Connie. High Five for being the messenger that gets shot all the time.. Thanks for what you do.

I just know from experience that sometimes multiple programs can be a good solution. Running the thumbnail generator as a background task while running designer that doesn't allow preview abilities until the background task is complete may work. Designer would not crash because of that! The background program would detect error and keep on looping till complete.

Just a thought.

Steve

brdad
08-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I installed 2.002, but the trial period did not reset. But I am leaving Saturday on a 7500 mile road trip, so I'll wait a few weeks to have that fixed. I do wish LHR would consider doing away with the time trial and stick with not being allowed to save and upload to card for registration restrictions.

I am glad to see the new icon so it's easier to tell which version is which.

bergerud
08-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Look at this post if you want to extend the trial period.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23789-Designer-2-002-Released&p=209612#post209612

lawrence
08-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I am glad to see the new icon so it's easier to tell which version is which.

+1 - it's one of those little details that are a simple outward visual thing that only begins to capture the TONS of work that obviously went on behind the scenes to bring the software out. The last month really has been such a bummer for me as I'm sure that all the folks that put the work into the 2.001 software felt like their work was not being admired- but IMHO it was just released a wee bit too early- like a really good loaf of bread which just wasn't cooked enough (I'm supposing that the conference had something to do with the schedule, but am only guessing here)

As long as 2.002 continues to work for me the way it has over the last 48 hours or so though, I can't imagine myself using the older 1.87 for anything other than making patterns for others that don't have the 2.xx software...now that it has been patched, the new software it no longer appears to "take away" any functionality, it adds some very powerful new tools (though some are quite reliant on owning the other add-on software such as centerline or the 3d tools), and it is stable/reliable enough now that it is functional (better than just functional even, I'm finding the stability to be very good).

The bottom line for me is that the new software is also now quite fun to use.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
08-08-2013, 04:17 PM
The file known as out.txt in Designer 1.187 is now named cwlog.txt in Designer 2.

TerryT
08-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Once you get the thumbnails made this is one heck of an impressive piece of software. My compliments to Metalus and the whole team of software engineers. This is quite an accomplishment. Well done and thanks!

RogerB
08-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Can anybody tell me if you can puff the text if you don't have the 2d or 3d software.

lynnfrwd
08-08-2013, 07:47 PM
You must have 3d for the puff tool.

lawrence
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
I do not believe so, no... you must have the 3d software to use it (edit, Connie beat me to it)

(correct me if I'm wrong guys) but you also do not get the benefit of the rewritten centerline text functions if you don't have the Centerline text add on.

As far as I know, all the other new features can be used with the "native" 2.xx software without any add ons
Lawrence

RogerB
08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Darn will have to save more nickle's (Canada "A" no more Penny's ) Thanks ;)

SteveEJ
08-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Got home over the weekend and just downloaded 2.002 for my mac. Looks like my 30 day trial is out. Any way to extend it so I can check it out?

Thanks..

lynnfrwd
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Got home over the weekend and just downloaded 2.002 for my mac. Looks like my 30 day trial is out. Any way to extend it so I can check it out?

Thanks..

There are two ways:
1. purchase it (come on....you'll like it)
2. Update your licenses under HELP > MANAGE LICENSES (and apply the extended trial license I added to your account) it will give you 30 more days

SteveEJ
08-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks Connie! I'll get to it first thing tomorrow.

lynnfrwd
08-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks Connie! I'll get to it first thing tomorrow.

No problem. My spirit has been restored by all of the positive comments I'm getting about 2.0 from customers on the phones. Thanks for the lift.

SteveEJ
08-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Ok.. I must be out of it this morning.. When I run Designer 2.002 (Mac version) it gives me 2 options.. Online registration or register from another computer. If I select cancel so I can go to Help/Manage Licenses it quits, Online says invalid license (nothing in the license number box), and from another computer asks for license code which I don't have..

What do I do next?

Thanks..

lynnfrwd
08-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Ok.. I must be out of it this morning.. When I run Designer 2.002 (Mac version) it gives me 2 options.. Online registration or register from another computer. If I select cancel so I can go to Help/Manage Licenses it quits, Online says invalid license (nothing in the license number box), and from another computer asks for license code which I don't have..

What do I do next?

Thanks..

You need to get to HELP > MANAGE LICENSES > UPDATE LICENSES. You may need to open Designer 1.187 and update there, then try to open 2.0.

SteveEJ
08-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I ran 1.187 and updated the licenses as you said. Then I ram 2.002 and had the same issue. It needs a serial number or will completely exit.

Sorry for the trouble.

SteveEJ
08-14-2013, 11:12 AM
OK.. Here is what I did.. Got Sooooo close..

I went to the web logon with 1.187 and saw the license you gave me. It is 18 characters long. I tried to cut and paste bit it was disabled for some reason so I copied it down and started to enter. When I got to the 16th character on the License Number box (2.002) it stopped accepting any more digits. The license number is 18 characters so I could not enter the last two characters.

I deleted 2.001 so I could not install it and try. If you can provide me a link to 2.001 I will download it and try to see if that method will work there.

Thanks..

lynnfrwd
08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Registration code from one computer will not work on another. Downloading the license file will.

Best bet is to delete the 2.001 trial version then download 2.002 (latest version) and run it for thirty days.

Connie

SteveEJ
08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Here is a screen shot..

SteveEJ
08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Downloaded it first time and tje web site showed Fatal Application Error. Developers notified.

Selected 'Email License' and it is stuck 'Sending'

Selected Download again and it worked. Got the license file and imported it. The trial is working.

I do have a question, if the license number is 18 characters long why will the program only accept 16?

Thanks again!

lynnfrwd
08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Downloaded it first time and tje web site showed Fatal Application Error. Developers notified.

Selected 'Email License' and it is stuck 'Sending'

Selected Download again and it worked. Got the license file and imported it. The trial is working.

I do have a question, if the license number is 18 characters long why will the program only accept 16?

Thanks again!

The 18 digit numbers that you see on your Customer Account are specific to that computer and feature only. They are not License (or Activation) codes. They can never be entered anywhere.

License (or Activation/Serial #s) codes are 16 digits (4 letters & numbers dot 4 more dot 4 more dot 4 more). These are sent to you when you purchase a new license (software, patterns, collections or projects). It is ONLY ever activated to your Customer Account ONE TIME.

Download License downloads from all computers on your Customer Account.

aokweld101
08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
just seen the demo tutorial on the 2.0 it looks like a must have item... awsome

SteveEJ
08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Got it.. Thanks for the explanation.

Bigtyme
08-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Well, after spending quite a few hours reading posts and watching the video multiple times, I downloaded the demo and really like 2.002. Unfortuneatly, I discovered pretty quickly that my 8 year old "refurbished" laptop wasn't going to cut it. Windows XP on a low end machine with little to no support any more wasn't going to let me enjoy the new features, so I shook the piggy bank hard and this is somewhat of a special post. I am typing this post on my new "refurbished" laptop :) (at least it has windows 7 ) and just transferred all my files over to it. Thanks to Chris at LHR for getting my license transferred quite easily and reminding me how to re-install my prior purchases. Also, I just went from the demo version to a purchased version ( I really did shake piggy hard) and i think this is my 500th post and I couldn't think of a better one to make it 500. I have played with the 2.002 a fair amount but look forward to the first carve with it....which will be tomorrow :)...