PDA

View Full Version : Air Carving? Bit not touching board in some passes

DianMayfield
08-04-2013, 10:13 PM
HI,

I am carving a project and it seems a little rough edged. I am using the optimal setting during upload. Watching the project, I noticed that the beginning of each carve segment, the bit drops as if to carve for the first 3 or 4 passes, without touching the board. Is this normal? If it is, I am really unhappy with the fine detail capabilities of this machine :( I am cutting text, 1/2 tall at .04 depth. Really doesn't look good - no feather, draft or no draft- not much improvement, bit optimization high - I lose bits of the letters (like the tops of Os), low seems just average.

I did the board thickness re-calibration.

I have spent the past 6 hrs reading troubleshooting tips and tips and tricks and now my brain AND eyes hurt. Too may different places to try and find good solid info, just so MUCH.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dian

Answers to preset questions:

1. Which model machine do you have? The choices are A, B, or C. C
(you can find this by looking at the first letter in your serial number)

2. Which Chuck is your machine equipped with?

3. How long have you owned it? 1month

4. How many hours are on the cut motor? 7hrs/40min
(You can find this out by pressing "0" on the keypad and following the prompts)

5. What was the last maintenance or repair performed, and how long ago? Cleaning - Vacuum & Air - Every project, recalibrated the board thickness today.

6. Is your machine equipped with sandpaper or rubber drive belts? Rubber

7. What kind of dust collection are you using? Shop vac with filter bag inside

badbert
08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Please attach your File, so we can see what's going on. I would place my bet on bit optimization. Text usually looks better without it. Zoom in close in designer and change the bit optimization from high to low, I bet you will see what's going on! Trust me this little machine can carve some detail! Don't worry we all had to learn somewhere and this is the best place to learn the Carvewright! My machine does the air carve for three or four passes, only when using optimal.

Digitalwoodshop
08-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Run project again and when you do a bit change you should get in the habit of watching the bit actually touch the bit plate and board. Dirty Z Rails can cause this air carve... As can a dirty stuck bearing.... Or a bad FSC Cable.... I am betting on dirty rails...

Lots posted on this topic, remember to use the "Air Carve" as in the " " with the search.

Looked at your first post again.. If your trying to put text in a carve region.... There is a CW "App" for that.... $$$...

AL

DianMayfield
08-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Lets see if I can figure out the attach feature :). Sorry, never get that phone tuned right! I carved this first in pine, looked yucky, played with bit optimization - sounds logical to use it. Could tell in the software it caused the missing pieces of the text, so I changed to low or none. Copied the text elements to a new project & set to carve a little sample in the oak piece. Not terribly happy with result. Really looking for crisp, not feathered, although the effect of the Draft on the larger letters looks kinda cool - but not neat.

I appreciate any advice!

DianMayfield
08-04-2013, 11:24 PM
It does hit the bit plate & wood when doing the measuring and after installing the bit. Had just watched the video on cleaning rails and bearings before posting. My bearings were clean, the rails a little dusty.

I really appreciate the feedback. :)

fwharris
08-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Here is my take with the following changes:

Test spacing increased for better separation between letters

Draft set to medium on all to help with chipping (maybe:D) and thought I could see a difference in designer.

bit optimization set to high on everything. To me, in designer it seemed to look better.

If I was going to up load and carve this I would most likely go with optimal.

Old Salt
08-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Carving letters at .04 ?
I carve most letters at .25 to see draft .

Proctorw
08-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Look at the thread I started a couple of months back. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?22981-Centerline-and-90-degree-bit. A few others have had the same problem. There was a "Bug ?" with my system that LHR helped me resolve. Geomoo1 had a very similar issue. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23550-Centerline-Text-won-t-carve. Yours may be different, however I would start there. I would also Cut a Square 1/4" deep and then measure afterwards. Mine was 7/32 instead of 1/4". And I did it a couple of times on a couple of different boards to make sure it wasn't a board problem.

Digitalwoodshop
08-05-2013, 11:33 AM
I would purchase Centerline Text and do it with a V60 bit. This is Raster Text correct?

AL

DianMayfield
08-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Got bit by the "your software is better than mine" bug. Won't open.