PDA

View Full Version : Carve depths and Text

DianMayfield
08-04-2013, 01:15 PM
First post! I am working on a plaque that has an image imported, and I want to add text. The text overlaps a part of the image. The main body of the text is set to a depth of .07, the image is set there as well. I get a weird effect of the overlapping text being a raised outline, instead of carved into the image. I only get this if I set bit optimization to high. If I choose any other setting, it disappears.

If I change the depth of the text deeper - presuming it would carve "down into" the image, it disappears. If I make it shallower than the image, it is raised instead. I made the letter that overlaps a separate element, so I could play with the various settings, all to no avail. I am leaving my job and need going away presents made from my "new life" as a carver, but I am not getting very far :)!

I tried using the gray height pattern that I found in another posting to add the letter to the image (already grey scaled) But it does not carve the same depth as the same color elsewhere in the image - it is still raised! arrgghh!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - you folks all sound wonderful, and I anticipate lots of time here.

Dian

mtylerfl
08-04-2013, 01:35 PM
First post! I am working on a plaque that has an image imported, and I want to add text. The text overlaps a part of the image. The main body of the text is set to a depth of .07, the image is set there as well. I get a weird effect of the overlapping text being a raised outline, instead of carved into the image. I only get this if I set bit optimization to high. If I choose any other setting, it disappears.

If I change the depth of the text deeper - presuming it would carve "down into" the image, it disappears. If I make it shallower than the image, it is raised instead. I made the letter that overlaps a separate element, so I could play with the various settings, all to no avail. I am leaving my job and need going away presents made from my "new life" as a carver, but I am not getting very far :)!

I tried using the gray height pattern that I found in another posting to add the letter to the image (already grey scaled) But it does not carve the same depth as the same color elsewhere in the image - it is still raised! arrgghh!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - you folks all sound wonderful, and I anticipate lots of time here.

Dian

Hi Dian,

Perhaps these two Tips & Tricks issues will help you...

ISSUE 2 November 2007 – Group _and_ Merge Features in Designer (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Nov07.pdf)

ISSUE 1 October 2007 – Pattern Layering _and_ Composition in Designer (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Oct07.pdf)

Digitalwoodshop
08-04-2013, 02:07 PM
WELCOME !!!!

MT is correct, the answer is in Tips and Tricks...

Find the "7 inch rule of wood" answer too... Or your 2nd post will be, "My image is carved 1/2 size?" why?

Good Luck,

We welcome your questions.

AL

DianMayfield
08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Working through the T&Ts. The 7" rule got me on my first test, so it was the first lesson out of the box! ;)

Thanks guys!

DianMayfield
08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
__--__..___.. (tele-type noise) UPDATE IDAHO!

That pesky "group" function was the thing biting me in the backside! Early on I had grouped everything to move it - then what ever I did, I did to the whole project. All those wonky results :)

We have success, we have farewell gifts!

Thank you, gentlemen!