PDA

View Full Version : lubing flexshaft

carpenter
08-04-2013, 10:55 AM
The flexshaft was getting hot so I stopprd the machine and was going to use liquid wrench it says it has moly in it then I called lhr and customer service said they have a lube for the flexshaft since the other makers stopped using certain ingrediants in their product is the lube from lhr the best lube for the shaft if so maybe they should let new owners know this so they don't make a mistake that could cost the more money down the road maybe they could offer the 5 oz. lube in with the machine. Just my 2 cents

fwharris
08-04-2013, 11:22 AM
If you lube says it has "molly" in it your should be ok as that was what the recommended lube was until liquid wrench changed their formula that did not have the molly in it....

mtylerfl
08-05-2013, 09:20 AM
If you lube says it has "molly" in it your should be ok as that was what the recommended lube was until liquid wrench changed their formula that did not have the molly in it....

Floyd, the new formula states it still has molly as an ingredient, but it is the WRONG type...the new molly is clear...the old was black. After quite a bit of back-and-forth between me and the lead chemist, it was finally determined the new formula (with the 'clear' molly) is unsuitable for lubing the flexshaft.

I think you already know all this, but didn't want someone to run down to the store, buy the lube that says it has molly, then burn up their flexshaft because it is the "new" (inneffective) molly. ;)

CarveWright has the right kind of lube and for most folks, is their best bet to make sure they use the proper type.

fwharris
08-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Floyd, the new formula states it still has molly as an ingredient, but it is the WRONG type...the new molly is clear...the old was black. After quite a bit of back-and-forth between me and the lead chemist, it was finally determined the new formula (with the 'clear' molly) is unsuitable for lubing the flexshaft.

I think you already know all this, but didn't want someone to run down to the store, buy the lube that says it has molly, then burn up their flexshaft because it is the "new" (inneffective) molly. ;)

CarveWright has the right kind of lube and for most folks, is their best bet to make sure they use the proper type.

Michael,

Good point and yes if the chain lube is a clear base then yes it is not the correct type. Carpenter did not state if it was the clear base or the black and guess I should of read more into the post being he is a new user....Thanks

carpenter
08-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks Floyd and Michael for the input on the lube, I did not know there was a difference with the old and the new and I used the new and had over heating problems I have some new lube coming this week so I will be back up and running this week.

Digitalwoodshop
08-06-2013, 12:36 PM
That is the GREAT thing about this forum... Lots of GOOD info floating around.....

AL