PDA

View Full Version : importing stl files to dockuments

aokweld101
08-03-2013, 12:19 PM
I have ben trying to import a pattern from sketch up I have it downloaded into mesh lab and have managed to get the file on my documents but I can't get it to come up on the STL files when I search my documents it is not in the document file that pulls up its a 2-d file... am I trying the wrong program?...determination is my middle name..grrr

bergerud
08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Are you saying that you exported a mesh as an .stl from Meshlab to my documents and now you cannot find it in the file explorer?

aokweld101
08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I can pull It up on the traceing image and can pull it up in the in the patterns but can't find the file when I try the stl.

fwharris
08-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Make sure when you save/export out of mesh that you are doing it as an stl file. The default might be the 2-d file format..

bergerud
08-03-2013, 12:46 PM
The file extension must be .stl for you to use the STL importer. It sounds like the file is a graphics file with an extension like .png or .jpg. Did you export from Meshlab as an .stl?

aokweld101
08-03-2013, 12:50 PM
and how do I see if it is a stl file that I'm exporting...I spelled documents wrong in the title ...sorry I'm not that dumb I was excited on getting a answer...lol

SteveNelson46
08-03-2013, 12:53 PM
aokweld101,

Open the file explorer by double clicking on "Computer" on the desktop. Double click on your "C" drive. In the top right corner is the search. Type "*.stl" (without the quotes) and press enter. Once you have found it, right click on it and select "Open File Location"

I hope this helps.

fwharris
08-03-2013, 12:54 PM
and how do I see if it is a stl file that I'm exporting...I spelled documents wrong in the title ...sorry I'm not that dumb I was excited on getting a answer...lol

There should be a drop down area in the save/export window that you can select the file type when you are saving/exporting it

bergerud
08-03-2013, 01:02 PM
When you export from Meshlab, you have to choose export type as stl. Make sure you note where the file will be saved so you can navigate to it when importing into the STL Importer.

(I have to say that something seems wrong about all of this as I do not see a 2d graphic export from Meshlab.)

aokweld101
08-03-2013, 01:07 PM
ok I done what Steve said, an got that but what do I push now ...the stl download?

aokweld101
08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
this all getting complicated, I'm getting lost again, should I start where I left off on downloading from mesh lab ?

SteveNelson46
08-03-2013, 01:17 PM
aokweld101,

The procedure that I described just finds the file on your hard drive. If you look in the address bar close to the top of the screen it should tell you the location of the file so you can find it in the program that you are trying to import the .stl file into.

bergerud
08-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Is this where you are?

aokweld101
08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
yes bergerud that is where I bring up the stl but when I do that I can't find the file on my documents when I import the files, I can see the documents are in the file but it don't show when I'm in the stl program.

bergerud
08-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Well, if your exported file has an stl extension and you can navigate to where it is from the STL importer, it should show up. This is what it looks on my computer.

lynnfrwd
08-04-2013, 08:18 AM
but I can't get it to come up on the STL files when I search my documents it is not in the document file that pulls up its a 2-d file... am I trying the wrong program?...

Is it a 3d model or a 2d path?

What did you name the file you are trying to open with STL Importer?

aokweld101
08-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I imported it under a dxf file for one pattern I downloaded and a stl on a different pattern when downloading had a window on both patterns come up that said the file was not supported or it was not all Imported and I didn't name the file kept as the same name that I downloaded

dbfletcher
08-04-2013, 09:24 AM
It seems the LHR's STL importer struggles with a lot of STL files. I typically just load any trouble STL files in to meshlab (http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/) and then resave the file as an ascii stl.. this typically lets LHR's importer work correctly.

lynnfrwd
08-04-2013, 09:40 AM
There is almost always unnecessary information in an STL file. The importer will tell that some info couldn't be imported. You should continue and import.

aokweld101
08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I feel like I need do more reading on this subject I have tried this all morning and half the afternoon and still can't get it done. working on the computer is hard work... I think it's naptime....lol

bergerud
08-04-2013, 02:53 PM
I just woke up! What's the problem?

aokweld101
08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
berergrud , I thought I was on a roll with this downloading from the 3-d warehouse in sketch lab to meshlab then to project designer and put that file on my documents then I go and try to Import into the stl and then.. it tells me that some of the file is not Imported and I can't go any farther...

dbfletcher
08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Can you post one of the stl's so we can take a look??

bergerud
08-04-2013, 08:00 PM
berergrud , I thought I was on a roll with this downloading from the 3-d warehouse in sketch lab to meshlab then to project designer and put that file on my documents then I go and try to Import into the stl and then.. it tells me that some of the file is not Imported and I can't go any farther...

I think you can just keep going. See what you get.

aokweld101
08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
I have been trying to get this file into one or the other into the dxf or the stl file and thought I would try a simple pattern from sketch lab and try to start learning how to do a 3-d pattern I have pushed all kinds of buttons and probably 8 times over and I have progressed a little, but I'm not getting it to go into either one of the programs I'm at my last knot on the rope and slipping... could some tell me what I might be able to do.

dbfletcher
08-05-2013, 01:37 PM
That file is a raster image (jpg). Neither dxf nor stl import will do you any good with a raster file. Dxf importer expects 2d vector graphics in dxf format, and stl importer expects 3d object data in STL format.

mtylerfl
08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I have been trying to get this file into one or the other into the dxf or the stl file and thought I would try a simple pattern from sketch lab and try to start learning how to do a 3-d pattern I have pushed all kinds of buttons and probably 8 times over and I have progressed a little, but I'm not getting it to go into either one of the programs I'm at my last knot on the rope and slipping... could some tell me what I might be able to do.

Howdy,

Is that a screenshot of just a photo you are trying to create a pattern from? If so, you cannot import it as a DXF or STL. You can import the image and create a pattern from it, although it probably won't look or carve very good as-is.

Is that an STL file? (I doubt it), but if it is, post it here and we can see how it imports via our STL Importer.

Is that a 3D DXF file? (I doubt it), but if it is, you cannot import it via the DXF Importer because there are no vectors and Designer does not support 3D DXF file fomats.

Also, you mentioned previously that the STL Importer gave you an error that some of the file wasn't imported. This is confusing to me as I have never seen that when importing an STL file (and I do it several times a week).

DXF Import is another matter...every DXF I import yields that message, and is of no concern whatsoever...it is just discarding 'odds and ends' that have no relevance to the DXF vector import.

Help us help you. We desperatelty need clarification on what it is you are actually trying to import.

aokweld101
08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I went back into sketch up and ended getting a vector drawing for a dog that I was trying to get into the files the picture was to the side of the vector drawing I don't know what I pushed to get the vector drawing but don't ask me to do it again I can't seem to do it again.

aokweld101
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm getting a little upset with this 3-d thing ...IT"S.... NOT... GONNA... BEAT... ME!!!...:mad: lol

lynnfrwd
08-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Go here: http://www.3dvia.com/search/?search%5bformat%5d=stl&search%5bfile_types%5d=1

Download a free STL file. Do an easy one at first, like the diamond or the airplane.

All I did was put: free 3d stl files into a Google search.

Click on the one you want to try and then the big green DOWNLOAD FILE in top right corner. Select the STL format to download. Save it to your desktop or somewhere you can find it (maybe defaulted into your downloads folder) and then FILE > Import > Import STL with Designer software.

bergerud
08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Or here is a baseball.stl in a zip. Just unzip it and import it into the STL Importer.

mtylerfl
08-05-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm getting a little upset with this 3-d thing ...IT"S.... NOT... GONNA... BEAT... ME!!!...:mad: lol

Ya know...you are always welcome to give me a call. Perhaps talking on the phone will be more helpful and a lot quicker too.

aokweld101
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
maybe I need to give up for the day, I went into the page that u just mentioned and can't even get that to download...grrrr

aokweld101
08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
boy, its gotta be Monday I even tried to download the baseball and it said its under a license agreement...

bergerud
08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Was that something to do with the unzip program? Has anybody else had a problem unzipping and importing the baseball?

Geomoo1
08-05-2013, 04:16 PM
No problem un-zipping here. I do not have the importer.

mtylerfl
08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
I was able to unzip, import, resize, slice, no problem.

aokweld101
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
its not opening for me, oh well,... I just received my er11 in the mail but as the picture... the wrench wasn't in it .... I'm not having a good Monday..lol

bergerud
08-05-2013, 07:18 PM
its not opening for me, oh well,... I just received my er11 in the mail but as the picture... the wrench wasn't in it .... I'm not having a good Monday..lol

Reply in ebay to the message he sent you saying there would be a wrench telling him there was no wrench. He will send you one.