PDA

View Full Version : some new projects for the fall shows

myshop1044
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Here 2 styles I used for these projects. The first is just a simple merge of 2 patterns, 1 log slice and 1 other pattern on the same board.
The second style was taught to me by "Bud" sometime ago. I was able to carve one pattern onto another using one set on the machine.
I carved the oval log slice first, them without removing the board, I carved the second project. The second project was centered on the first , in design,using center/center. I then outlined the pattern, used "path offset" to enlarge the area around the pattern, then used "sweep" to soften the edges of the feather.

Perry B.

Geomoo1
08-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Very nice, Perry. Those should do good at the shows.

Proctorw
08-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Great looking work. I haven't tried that technigue. How long is the total carve time? I am also making inventory for Fall Craft shows. Have you decided on pricing yet? That is the hardest task for me. As a point of reference, I sell crosses some of which were posted in the forum (face of Jesus), and then a cross with a dove in the center I bought form the pattern depot. I sell an 11" for $40 made out of Cherry or Mahagony and a 7" for $25. They seem to sell, not like hotcakes but OK. How do you determine your prices???

myshop1044
08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
That seems like a reasonable price, but the most important thing is to get your name out there. you may not make a killing
but they will come back to the next show. I have some people come back every year just to see what new items I have made.
These took any where from any hour to 2 hours.

kcc2012
08-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Wow those look great.

lawrence
08-07-2013, 11:15 PM
+ 1 to the others' comments- great carves and I wish you well at the shows

Lawrence

peep
08-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Very well done. You must have a reliable sled.

kcc2012
08-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I wish I could give advice on pricing. I charge a lot more than most on this forum mostly due to my remote location and the cost of wood.

Capt Bruce
08-09-2013, 09:46 AM
I think you have a real set of winners Perry especially with the bark on slab look of the carvings. Well done and wishing you success at the shows. You may have to make some extras so you don't sell off all your wares in the first hour or so and have nothing to show for more orders.

myshop1044
08-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks Bruce, I have made 3 of each type and I have used different types woods. The finish grade pine from Lowes had a very strong grain in it and some took away from the patterns, but gave me 3 different levels of stain, I also used Spanish cedar , which gave me a rich red color with just Tung oil on them, next I used Alder (poor man's cherry) it also gave me some red color, but I was able to stain the bark darker, then the top lighter and left the center carve area natural and then seal the whole this at the same time.
Oh by the way the person or persons who created those round and oval log slices, they are great and if you wish to PM me, I would like to discuss the possibility of make some other different shapes, maybe the long log slice, just not a perfect oval, maybe a little more natural shape.
but thanks again for the slices.

Perry B.

RogerB
08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice work.The dear looks very nice.;)

henry1
08-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Nice work.The dear looks very nice.;)
yes real nice like roger said the DEER looks nice roger dear friend lol

rcdages
08-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Looking good Perry,

These should all sell well for you.

The one I like the best is the three deers.

Let us know how they sell.

Do miss Bud as we all do, I know..............

myshop1044
08-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you all for the comments, I think these will do well since they will be new to the show.
I did my first stacked lettering name sign as a test for the show. I believe I will get some orders
from the sample.
I am also working some Cajun Country paddles, they are small about 16" lg and have different
animal ptn on them that is poplar in the area.

Perry B.

cnsranch
10-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Perry - do you have the pattern for the log outline, or did you find it somewhere here?

ktjwilliams
10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Those are nice designs .. The logs are pretty cool ..

cnsranch
10-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Anyone????

myshop1044
10-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Jerry did you get my message about the log mpcs?
E-mail at PGBonin@yahoo,com and I will send them to you.

Perry B.