PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander

JoeinWestMich
08-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I read a thread on one of the CNC forums where the user was preparing his wood blanks with a drum sander. I have never used one before so I don't know how useful this piece of wood working equipment would be in general and for CNC in particular. But the drum sander seems to be ideal for preparing wood blanks of uniform thickness and with a final finish (220 grit) for most stuff I would do with my Carvewright. I was looking at the Jet 16-32 drum sander online (Woodcraft, Amazon). It is not inexpensive but I could save enough to get one in a couple of months. Could those of you who use one please pipe in and give me your advice. FYI, I have a DeWalt 14 inch thickness planer, a Powermatic 6 inch jointer, and a very good cabinet table saw. Would a drum sander complement these tools or just be overkill. I am finishing setting up my garage wood shop for my retirement next year so any purchases such as a new drum sander would have to come this year. I look forward to your input.

DickB
08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Depends on what you are doing, but I would say yes, it can be very useful for a CarveWright user. I just got a used Ryobi drum sander several weeks ago and I like it. If you follow my signature link to my web site, you can see the lake maps that I make. I use a poly/stain on the lakes and lettering, just slapping it on, then sand the uncarved portion to trim. Did it with a random-orbit for a long time. The drum sander works great for this. I also make max width pieces, 14.5" wide. The drum sander does a great job after gluing up a project board of that width.

badbert
08-01-2013, 06:42 PM
What is the advantage over a wider planer? My planer certainly leaves a smooth enough surface for anything i do.

DickB
08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
What is the advantage over a wider planer? My planer certainly leaves a smooth enough surface for anything i do.
Cost I suppose. My Ryobi is open-ended so it can accomodate a 32" wide board. How wide is your planer?

badbert
08-01-2013, 07:36 PM
15", Yeah that certainly rocks! Does that mean you have 32" wide sandpaper? I gotta check one of these things out!

OHH Duh! You flip it over to do the other side! LOL SO it is 16" I often wondered why they called them 16-32!

Ducky63
08-01-2013, 08:15 PM
I have an older Performax 16-32 & I use it a lot to sand my boards before I run them in my CarveWright. I really enjoy it for putting a smooth surface on my boards. When I run it I use my dust collector to take care of the sanding dust.

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I found one on Sawmill Creek 1 hour away... Love it... But it is easy to take TOO much off... :)

A tip I use is to place a strip of fiber packing tape on the back side of the pointy ends of the roll paper. Prevents the end from tearing if you change Grits often... And after you change Grits the first time, one board and check paper tightness...

AL

badbert
08-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Like I said I would be looking on Craigslist before I paid for a new one. You might find a deal like this... http://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/3909381817.html

chkorte
08-01-2013, 09:29 PM
I have a Dewalt 13” planer with a 24 carbide bit spiral cutter head that gives me a glass like finish. I also have a Delta 18X36 drum sander that I bought used for $175 that I use when the board is too wide for planer.

Old Salt
08-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I have a 16 " and use it a lot . Have the old blades on my planer and it takes all the planer marks off the wood.

earlyrider
08-02-2013, 11:33 PM
The sanders are good for figured grain that might otherwise be chipped out with a planer.

Underdog
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Like Tiger Maple. Only a pineapple head on your planer will keep it from chipping out badly. I use the drum sander for curly grain.