PDA

View Full Version : Greek carving ??

Rick P
07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Has anyone ever carved something like this Greek carving for the outside of a house?
Person wants it about 8 feet long by 12 inched tall?
They also said it may have to be 10 inches deep, which I don't think a CW can do.
All comments and suggestions appreciated !!!
Rick P

fwharris
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
The only way to go that deep would be using an STL file and slicing it..

Rick P
07-30-2013, 05:36 PM
The only way to go that deep would be using an STL file and slicing it..

Thanks...that's beyond my expertise with a CW. I'm looking for a business in Minnesota that could do this type of carving.
Pediments are for sale too...there could be a ready made pediment we can find.

liquidguitars
07-31-2013, 01:07 AM
You could ask James Mcgrew he has some bigger CNC's you can reach him at www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org) or on Facebook.

Underdog
07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
I could model that in ArtCAM, and do that on my KOMO at work. It would have to be layered even though it has an 8" capacity on the Z.

I wonder how much the customer is willing to pay?

It'd take some serious modeling time, and take probably days to carve. But if you're willing, I'm certainly willing. Give me a shout and I'll see if I can work up an estimate.

Rick P
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
The depth really only needs to be about 2 inches (not exact at all) ... is this possible with the standard 1/16 inch tapered carving bit ?? I'm just not understanding how to do a deep carve ... ??

earlyrider
07-31-2013, 11:51 PM
How about doing it in layers- a foreground and a background, then glue them together. The foreground would be a pierced carving. The challenge would be manipulating the depth of the various elements. Others have done something similar with a deer/wildlife scene.
Ron

Underdog
08-01-2013, 03:15 PM
The total depth limit of the CarveWright is .90 inches if I remember correctly. In other words it won't carve even one inch deep in one carve. You'll have to slice the carving into layers. If you want something 1.5 inches deep, best to slice into layers .75 inches thick and glue together. If you want something 2 inches deep, you'll need to slice it into three layers about .666" deep, then glue it all together.

lynnfrwd
08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Carving depth is .8" deep. Cutting is 1" thickness.

bergerud
08-01-2013, 03:47 PM
The problem with a carving like this is that the outside layers will break up into many pieces. It is not a simple object. I have experimented with a technique of "gluing as you carve". For example, for a three layer slicing, I first carve one side of the middle layer (assuming this one sided carve will hold together as one piece). Then I glue on the top layer board (precarved on its under side if it needs to be a double sided carve). I glue only where the pattern is and put screws in the board corners. Now carve the top. The small pieces of the top board which would have all been separate are held because they are glued on to the middle. Now flip it all over and carve the other side of the middle. Then glue and screw on the bottom board (precarved on its top side if it needs to be a double sided carve) and carve the bottom. The finished carving is now trapped in the block and will fall out when you undo the screws.

(I would give pictures and the files of my experiment but it was a 15" tall Miss Curvewright which may not be appropriate for the forum.)

fwharris
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Ah Dan!! Just one peak!!! :D