PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about...?

Universal-e-Network.com
02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, I just spoke with someone interested in a CC and he mentioned something about a gun show he goes to, where a few folks will engrave the pistol grip or butt stock of your weapons! He mentioned that he thought it would be a great idea if the CC had the ability to carve into the pistol grips or the butt stock of a rifle. Does the software that comes with the CC offer that capability or maybe something similar? I know that the manufacturer is in the process of creating jigs for certain projects...
so I was thinking maybe the CC, (one day) could be used for engraving these weapons with wooden handles. Do you think it would be possible to create some kind of jig for specific guns, including rifles and handguns?
Do you think that the manufacturer would update the software to accommodate this type of design idea?

Do you have any suggestions?

BoardSilly
02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Actually you should be able to accomplish this with relative ease now.
You would need to build a sled to transport the work piece. I would recommend removing the grips or stock from the weapon. Using a simple carrier support and some clay base you should be able to keep it in position while you carve. I like the idea, have to give it a whirl when I get time.

Dan-Woodman
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Don't you think you would have to scan the ( rifle) first to get the curve and then add carvings or whatever to that?

BoardSilly
02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Don't know till I look into it and see what options there are.

Universal-e-Network.com
02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Love the optimism! I personally think it's a great idea. I would agree that you might need to scan in the stock or the pistol grip to acquire the curves. My customer also mentioned something about making a mold, (as a jig) to support the piece of a specific stock. I'll keep coming back to view the topic here for more info, and to keep you updated. Thanks again.

menewfy
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
if someone is already doing it they are most likely using a laser engraver which will give you a lot smaller font size. it would have to be a small and easy design as I am sure most grips are not too big, another thing to consider is if you were to do it, the jig would have to meet the min measurements of the cw machine.