PDA

View Full Version : Possible Board Sensor Problem - Frayed Wire

Tim Rogers
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I carved my first project over the last few days. .75 x 3.5 boards which I made into a picture frame. I was fairly impressed with the results. I used select white pine for the first project, oaks to expensive for a test run, and decided to try oak today. I loaded the wood, selected the project, decided to not stay on the rollers, and when the "Please Load Piece: Board" message displays, it will not sense the board. I first cleaned the machine again, just to make sure and get the same problem. I used a flashlight to check for any loose wires and it appears one of the wires leading to the board sensor is frayed. The wires are right up against the screw looking thingy (I don't want to get the manual out to look up the name of the thingy). I can not say for sure the wire is frayed, but it looks and feels like it is. I have not taken the cover off yet to check it. I was waiting to talk to CarveWright. However, I was on hold hearing the "Your estimated wait time is, 1 minute" well over a hundred times. After 1 hour on hold, I heard a ring and they hung up. Any idea on how to get ahold of them?

Tim :D

Jeff_Birt
02-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Tim, what wires are you looking at? Without taking the cover off the machine or taking the board sensor out you cannot see the board sesnor wires. Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the board sensor is mounted to the bottom of the Y-truck and is held in place by 2 screws. Is this the senosr you have cleaned? Have you removed it and cleaned it?

Ron Baird
02-12-2007, 08:13 PM
The most common cause for please load piece is the roller switches are out of adjustment or packed with dust. They are located on the key pad end of the rpper rollers and can only be seen by removing the side pannel. The switches are micro switches with little metal actuater arms that you may have to bend a little for adjustment. I have a beta m/c and the switch brackets are different on the Sears but the brackets are the problem on the betas. Your head pressure may not be high enough also causing the problem.

Tim Rogers
02-13-2007, 05:16 AM
I said board sensor but I ment the brass roller at the bottom in the middle of the squaring plate. Sorry, but I've been reading so many posts on the Board Sensor, I inadvertently wrote board sensor. As I am new to the machine, I'm still learning the terms. I believe this brass part senses pressure. I'm not at the machine, but I also believe there are four wires (ribbon cable) leading to the square black plastic piece which is attached to the brass roller and moves up and down when you put pressure on the brass roller. It is one of these wires that is frayed. I can just see the wires when looking with a flashlight through the back of the machine on the bottom keypad side.

Sorry for the confussion,
Tim :?:

Ron Baird
02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
The brass roller does not sense the pressure it keeps track of the board's X travel and position once it moves the board edge away from the board sensor on the bottom of the Y truck. If your board is too warped or damaged along the track of the brass wheel it will effect your length or X position. I have a beta m/c and it has four individaul wires going to the wheel but they may have changed that on the Sears. I don't think the cable is causing this problem but it may cause some X axis problem.
Ron

KarmaJon
02-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Is the board sensor a type of encoder?

My knurled brass knob has a groove on either side, and an O-ring on one side.

In the drawing, they don't show one O-ring, much less two. How many do you guys have?

(later...) Yep, it's some kind of encoder. I took my O-ring off and had a substantially different measurement! I may be on the track of my own personal issue. Thanks!