PDA

View Full Version : erwin dust collecter

carpenter
07-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Ok I have a dust devil I want to install but am not sure about grounding my shop vac does not have a ground its a polarized plug is this going to be a problem or do I need to figure out how to ground. Has any body had an issue with this

Digitalwoodshop
07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
In the dust collection thread you will find the many ways it is done. Most Shop Vacs take the AC in and run it through a full Wave Rectifier making it DC Voltage to run the Vac Motor. So like you said, no ground... You need to ground the machine.

And be careful as using a shop vac hose to suck chips has killed many a machnes... You will find many posts that start out... "I am in the middle of a 4 hour carve and I stopped the machine to vacuum the sawdust.... NOW the LCD and Machine are DEAD...." Very Common.... The act of the wood chips flowing through the plastic shop vac hose produces the Thousands of volts of Electricity, KILLING the machine.

The Maker of the Dust Devil will chime in soon.

AL

carpenter
07-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Al for the response if I need to ground the shop vac how would I ground it to the vac using a polarized plug. Please forgive my ignorance I'm a carpenter with no electrical knowledge