PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use "cut board to length" prompt?

jab73180
07-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Does anyone use this? Can it be disabled? If you do use it, does it work good?

fwharris
07-24-2013, 08:19 PM

No, I doubt it and do not know... :D

mtylerfl
07-24-2013, 08:30 PM

No one ever uses it, that I know of. It's probably best to not do so. I do not know of a way to disable it...perhaps a future update will "kill" it.

jab73180
07-24-2013, 08:35 PM
No one ever uses it, that I know of. It's probably best to not do so. I do not know of a way to disable it...perhaps a future update will "kill" it.

That would be awesome.

bergerud
07-24-2013, 09:18 PM
"Cut Board To Size" NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO..... I wonder what it does? Has anybody even tried it?

jab73180
07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I guess this is for the designer wish list thread, chuck it. Save us time and get rid of 'er.

-Jason

fwharris
07-24-2013, 09:23 PM
"Cut Board To Size" NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO..... I wonder what it does? Has anybody even tried it?

Back in the old times before I learned the CW I did do one or two projects this way. If the board you put in the machine is larger than the design size it will cut your design board out of the larger board. It actually worked very well but since I got smarter and do have a table saw and chop saw I learned to save CW time.. ;)

aokweld101
07-25-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm like fwharris, I was assuming that is what it was for, but I have to many tools or toys to do what the carvewight would take to do it and save wear and tear on the machine

lawrence
07-25-2013, 12:11 AM
I haven't done it either... but I'd personally rather see the option "hidden" rather than "removed"... I hate to lose a capability if I don't have to (albeit a capability I'm not sure I'll ever use... who knows though)

Lawrence

badbert
07-25-2013, 12:34 AM
I haven't done it either... but I'd personally rather see the option "hidden" rather than "removed"... I hate to lose a capability if I don't have to (albeit a capability I'm not sure I'll ever use... who knows though)

Lawrence
I am sure it is there for people who only own a carvewright. Who knows deserted island, only one tool... Or woodworking in an apartment...

bergerud
07-25-2013, 01:29 AM
I cannot think of a quicker way to break that 1/8" cutting bit. Maybe now with the 3/16" cutting bit I could try it just to see it work.

badbert
07-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Maybe we are looking at it the wrong way. Suppose your design board was 18 x 6. And the board you are using is 24 x 12. Maybe it would just make an Auto-cut path and leave tabs!

dbfletcher
07-25-2013, 05:33 AM
I cannot think of a quicker way to break that 1/8" cutting bit. Maybe now with the 3/16" cutting bit I could try it just to see it work.

I have used it a few times in the early days. It works very similar to the way it does the cross cut and rip functions from the keypad (Which I have also used in the early days). I don't use it anymore for the same reasons most of you have posted... there are better ways to do that. But if the CW is the only tool you have, it can be a nice feature. I do see the advantage of being able to selectively enable/disable certain features however. FWIW... I cant really ever recall breaking a cutting bit using those functions either, but I don't believe I ever tried cutting anything harder that oak.

brdad
07-25-2013, 05:43 AM
I have never used the cut board to size feature but I have used "square board" on several occasions, because it makes a cleaner cut on end grain than the table saw does (or my table saw anyway). But that feature is accessed by the machine's menus and not annoying users when starting a project.

As far as breaking the bit, the "square board" feature uses the 3/8" straight bit, does the CW use that or the 1/8" straight bit for cutting to length?

I've probably mentioned a dozen times how we could use more options, disabling this and the "scale board to size" option are two good ones in the load project menu.

RMarkey
07-25-2013, 08:40 AM
It actually worked very well

Why, thank you!

For people who put boards larger than the designed size in their machine (which should be about everybody), it will cut the board to the project size. Setting the max-pass-cut-depth within the firmware (0-5-6-1) can limit the per-pass depth if necessary.

It generally works best when an edge rout is added to the project as much material is removed from its cut path. Tracking can be an issue, so use your masking tape and make sure your head pressure is good.

DickB
07-25-2013, 09:02 AM
For people who put boards larger than the designed size in their machine (which should be about everybody),
I suspect many if not most use sleds rather than oversize boards.

jab73180
07-25-2013, 09:40 AM
I suspect many if not most use sleds rather than oversize boards.

True DAT. Its not a huge deal to press another button but it could be set up differently. When the machine asks you "stay under rollers" it could ask you "are you using a sled" and it could bypass the "cut board to length" question.

RMarkey
07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Well, in 2.002 firmware, the rollers prompt has been moved into user settings. 2.002 should be released within a week.