PDA

View Full Version : AUGUST 2013 Project of the Month - Friends & Family Event Organizer!

mtylerfl
07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for AUGUST 2013)...The Friends & Family Event Organizer!

A couple of the folks from CarveWright headquarters suggested this project (thanks, Connie and David!). I really liked the idea and went for it! This type of wall-hung plaque is most commonly known as a “birthday board’, but I decided to call it the Friends & Family Event Organizer. You’ll find yourself referring to the ‘board’ often and is quite handy for notating recurring monthly events, such as birthdays and anniversaries (Husbands rejoice! - now you’ll always ‘remember’ those important dates!)

The text is completely customizable, so you can change and modify the carved wording to anything you like. The fonts are Freestyle Script and Arial Bold. If you don’t have these fonts, you can substitute other similar fonts as desired.

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The overall dimensions are about 20.75" Wide x 9½" Tall (not including the hanging wooden discs).

Main items you will need:
1) The Project File (included):
• Special_Event_Organizer.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 11" x 29"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) Twelve cup hooks, a container of “jump” rings to connect event discs, 1.5" dia. thin wooden rounds (your quantity will vary depending on number of events). I bought the jump rings and wooden discs at Michael's Art & Crafts...jump rings are found in the jewelry craft section.

4) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish, your preferred hanger hardware or method

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Event Organizer made from Select Pine:

• One coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (50/50 Sealer and Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Painted lettering with paint pen (black) and brushed acrylic craft paint (Apple Barrel Brand #20563 Liberty Blue)
• Stained overall with Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Traditional Cherry color
• Several spray coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic

TerryT
07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Pretty cool Michael. I still can't figure out how you keep comming up with new ideas every month. Keep it up!

lynnfrwd
07-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I actually got it uploaded and ready to go....just waiting for August 1st!

mtylerfl
07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Pretty cool Michael. I still can't figure out how you keep comming up with new ideas every month. Keep it up!

Thank you, Terry. I have to give credit to Connie and David for this POM idea. Connie mentioned it back in January and David emailed the idea earlier this month!

Thankfully, I have a list of POM ideas that will probably outlast my lifetime.;)

mtylerfl
07-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I actually got it uploaded and ready to go....just waiting for August 1st!

Wow! You're fast!

aokweld101
07-24-2013, 08:36 PM
my subscription ends next month I appreciate the work that you done. I plan to subscribe for another year, I'm like a little kid, afraid that I might miss something.

Bigtyme
07-25-2013, 09:12 AM
What a great idea for a POM and it looks great, Michael. I can see a lot of folks (especially grandparents of big families) really liking this one....

lynnfrwd
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Just sent this out. Enjoy!

Smoken D
08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Got mine and uploaded just fine this time YEA!:D

lynnfrwd
08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Got mine and uploaded just fine this time YEA!:D

YEA!!!!!:D from me too!!!!

rcdages
08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Great looking POM.

Need to download and carve it.

pgrinde
08-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I just tried to carve the project. It carved perfect. When it went to route the edges it appears the board did not move correctly on the bass roller and messed up the whole project. This is the first real problem I had with a project. My question is what precautions should I take as I try this again? I will clean the machine, and reveiw the service tips to be sure I am up to date on everything. I am using a very nice piece of pine board. Should I put masking tape on the edge.? What else should I check? This was the largest carve I have done. Have Floyd's dust collector and just upgradedvthe software to the new and improved 2.0 .

mtylerfl
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
I just tried to carve the project. It carved perfect. When it went to route the edges it appears the board did not move correctly on the bass roller and messed up the whole project. This is the first real problem I had with a project. My question is what precautions should I take as I try this again? I will clean the machine, and reveiw the service tips to be sure I am up to date on everything. I am using a very nice piece of pine board. Should I put masking tape on the edge.? What else should I check? This was the largest carve I have done. Have Floyd's dust collector and just upgradedvthe software to the new and improved 2.0 .

Sorry you had a problem. You mentioned "When it went to route the edges"...I THINK you actually mean when it was performing the cut paths??

If the board did not track or feed properly during a project, there are some basic/common things that could cause this...

1) Board not square and binds intermittently during feed through
2) Loss of contact with brass roller...board warp, head pressure off, dent or defect on bottom of board causing momentary loss of contact
3) Sliding Plate is too tight against the board edge...can cause binding, which leads to throwing off the board feed data
4) Bottom of board is "too slippery"...masking tape pressed firmly along the length/edge where the brass roller rides will eliminate this

Again, very sorry you had a problem that spoiled the project.

Here is a link to a Baord Tracking article that may be helpful for the future...

ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)

pgrinde
08-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the advise. I am confident that the problem is something I did or did not do. Will try again next week.

Paul