PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect from this machine

carpenter
07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
I am a new carvewright user I received it 7-16 have only 2 hours on the machine and went to use it today and it said z axis stall so called customer service ran a test they said it was the z motor then called back and ran another test this time said it is power supply problem sending me new power supply.I guess what I am saying I am impressed what the machine can do but after only 2 hours and already having issues don't know what to expect as far as problems. I know the machine has been out since early 2000's as compucarve have things gotten better.

KeystoneChuck
07-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Only advice I can give you is buy the warranty. Not that I take my own advice but the more you read this forum the more you ask yourself "what did I get myself into". Its a great machine when its running properly but thats the catch, when its running properly. I just took my motor out today after 50hrs & 47 minutes of carve time on the motor because for lack of a better word it "exploded". Check out my pictures on the thread for Trouble Shooting they are listed under "Motor sounds gritty". I'm hammering out a deal for a new CNC as we speak. Different brand than Carvewright, I'll probably keep my Carvewright but I can't count on its reliabilty. I sell signs at our local market and customers don't want to hear "when my machine gets up and running I'll call you".

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2013, 11:10 PM
WELCOME..... As you can see, LHR is sending you the parts... Likely the Power Supply was the cause of the Z Stall... but time will tell.

Since you are getting parts from LHR, I am guessing it is a new "C" version.

Many changes have been made to the machine over time and YES things have gotten better. You have the best of the best with a "C"... But even with that being said, sometimes Electronics fail... You will still see a few posts with low hour "C" machines that have had some problems, don't get discouraged... Once you work through the issues I am willing to bet you will be a Happy Carver.

As I posted in your Pattern Post, find Tips and Tricks on the LHR site and please read them. Written by many of us, it will give you information you will need to know and understand... Like the 7 inch rule of Wood, Scaling, and Sleds, Carrier Board, Frugal Use of Wood and MORE.... Plus get familiar with designing projects using "Place on END or Corner". Many like I started off using "Center on Board" but you will watch the machine measure every board TWICE.... With Place on END... You will see the machine measure ONCE...

Add your location on your profile. You may have a user near you.

And getting a Dust Collection System is very important. And YES with most, you will need to cut the clear cover to add it.... but it is worth it.

Good Luck,

AL

Edit: I just saw the above post... If I were to look for a unhappy customer with a "C" machine, KC would be on the top of my list... I saw the pictures of the motor.... Only 50 hours... since January. Glad He is keeping the CW.

lawrence
07-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Yes... they have gotten better... in many respects though they are the same basic machine, two major things have happened which have raised expectations -

1. LHR has made changes to a couple of their higher-problem areas mechanically - these changes have ranged from subtle changes like adding a drop of adhesive on a
contact point to as drastic as completely re-engineering the chuck which holds the bit. These changes made the machine vastly more reliable.

2. The experience level with regards to troubleshooting has become very extensive for both LHR and for the community in general. There are many folks like AL and others
that are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and generous in helping to troubleshoot things. I laugh every time someone has a problem and Al or someone else says "put the machine
on its side.. does it do THIS now? If it does, this is you problem... etc etc" These experiences have made troubleshooting much less of a "guess" and have eased things drastically
for many folks.

My portfolio (below linked) show some of the things that are possible with a carvewright and minimal "assistance" from me- I really do love my machine (add. caveat- I am sorely
disappointed in many of the business decisions and practices of LHR, the parent company right now... for me to "wax on" about how good the machine can be really says a lot about
how capable I believe the machine can be.

It may have been perceived as a lemon machine in the beginning of its life, but both the CW machine and designer software are
a testament to amazing engineering and longevity in this age of "disposable" consumer items (I've gone through 3 cameras but only one CW...) ... and it did this despite some
blisteringly horrible historic customer service (now greatly improved), terrible reviews from the Sears Compucarve sales, and astonishingly head-scratching public relations (IMHO
in the past and now...)

It really is amazing and refreshing.... and a little frightening all at the same time...

but that is half of what makes life fun.

I recommend you swap out the power supply, read up on some of the tutorials, and dive in head first... we only live once and this machine has certainly made
my woodworking experience more enjoyable.

We're here to help share in your victories and setbacks both... welcome to the forum!

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Well Said !!!!

In the Beginning when LHR teamed up with SEARS to sell the "A" Machines Sears bough a very very LARGE Block of Machines of which, I have 4.... With that being said, as the machines were put to use some unexpected Design weaknesses showed up like the Power Supply L2 Coil not having enough glue and vibrating like a lolly pop.... It was by Accident I placed MY machine on it's back with the Power Switch STILL on and I see the Dead Machine come to LIFE on the LCD.... Eventually I found the coil problem as did LHR and my tip helped many do a quick troubleshooting job. I could list the other problems that HAVE been addressed but since Sears had Purchased the HUGE BLOCK of machines, "MANY" machines experienced the same issue. Having Known Issues and coupling that with Sears having a very EASY Return Policy... Many Machines that should have been fixed under warranty were in fact swapped out with a NEW Machine... Some bragged they were on their 6th or more machine.... THIS contributed to the problem.... That and the Sear Tool Guy knew if HE returned the machine for Credit or Cash the Commission would be DEDUCTED from his next check...

The QC had a big part to play in reliability.... And it was because WE used them WAY PAST being Worn Out and Shook the machines to DEATH like a Vibrating Saw... You will find some parts are Consumable.... The Old QC was... The CT makes a big difference.

Lessons learned resulted in the "B" then the "C" Machine.... Little changes... MY 4 "A" Machines will work JUST as well as a "C" machine as I have changed the parts that have been improved with the exception of some Frame Changes. The "A" Frame when DROPPED by the Shipper damaged easaily...

And a Happy Customer will tell 10 people... and a Un happy customer will JUMP to tell you He is unhappy and will tell 1000 people... So you hear many un happy stories on other forums and reviews... Here... Mostly Happy Campers.... WE do our best to Guide and Help unhappy users.

AL

aokweld101
07-23-2013, 03:20 AM
It's funny u say your customers don't want to hear when its down I went through the learning phase of the brushes, censors x-gears and some of the minor problems and have to admit I got flustered, I was about to give up but instead I bought one more machine and a whole lot parts of what I thought would go out just to have them, since then ever thing has been fine, I have the one machine boxed up, in case the other is down. Its not the customers I worry about its me. My computer was down, went to the shop and was with out it for 3 days and all I could think of was getting it back... I punished my step son and took his laptop away for 2 weeks and he threw a fit, was funny cause told my wife now I know how he felt. And the time that I was down with my machine was right before Christmas waiting on parts and wanted to make presents but couldn't... I'm the one that doesn't like to be without it and I consider it a hobby... good thing too if I was making a living at it I'd starve to death, it's gotta be the area that I live in....lol

badbert
07-23-2013, 07:17 AM
What you can expect is an amazing little machine. It has a learning curve, but if you stumble with this one, try a bigger CNC. Yes you will have breakdowns and problems. But once you learn your way through them, it will become second nature. The key is in keeping it maintained and clean. Don't wait for parts to fail, buy them to have on hand, and keep it going. Some people think the maintenance is too much, but consider this. When this machine is on, it is working. I have made 27 hour projects. 200 to 250 hours is maintenance schedule. And parts will break along the way. But consider using your tablesaw for 200 hours non stop. You can bet it would need bearings and a blade change too! LOL

The other day I noticed my machine making a squeaking sound. I immediately realized that I had forgot to add a feather to a pierced carving. Forcing the bit squeal against the edge it had cut. Stopped, added a feather, started over, and no more squeal!

brdad
07-23-2013, 08:27 AM
I figure I have been lucky with my machine, especially since buying it from a third party. But it helps to have mechanical and electrical knowledge as I have repaired items like the power supply on my own, and fabricate a better attachment method for the flex shaft to cut motor. I have not had to purchase any mechanical parts for mine yet. I think there are some parts which could have been better designed, like the cut motor and the lid switches and many of the connections that just don't seem to hold up to the vibration well. I can understand why some users give up and I would not want to rely on it if I had regular demanding customers. I've only used mine 200 hours since 2008, and only figuring machine, parts, and software costs (not my time fixing and maintaining or electricity - which is minimal anyway), my CW currently calculates to $13 per hour to operate. At the same time I like what it can do and have made stuff I would not and could not have done otherwise. And the forums here are priceless.

So as far as what you can expect - Reliability and fun of a Model T. Fun to ride, but be prepared if you want to drive cross-country with it.

KeystoneChuck
07-23-2013, 09:11 AM
I should have added that in my post. THIS forum is priceless and the members especially Al & Lawrence are very knowlegeable and giving. I would have walked away from the machine or threw it first then walked away the first month I had it. I think a big success in the machine is this forum. Could you imagine the learning curve their would be if there wasn't this forum. And I'm not just talking about "fixing" your machines. It sometimes the simple operations that make you say "why didn't I do that". You can see it does have a decent operating cost but in the end it ways itself out with the time and lumber money saved from reading this forum and not making the same mistake others have made in the past. If only we could get our government to operate like this forum, we could see what does and does not work before we spend millions in tax dollars to say "oh right we tried that before and it didn't work"

gapdev
07-23-2013, 02:01 PM
fabricate a better attachment method for the flex shaft to cut motor

This deserves a separate thread with explanation and pictures!

Kenny