PDA

View Full Version : New flexshaft

unitedcases
07-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Any tips on breaking in a new flexshaft assy. My old one never got warm at all but the spring came apart and the connector to the truck was wore out. 1500 hrs. So I soaked a new one and ket it drip dry for about 24 hrs. This new one appears to be hitting about 99 in its hottest spot. The building is about 93 right now. I dont turn on the ac in there until I come home so it takes quite a while to cool off. Its just a little warmer than I like. Any thoughts?

bergerud
07-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I have always thought that a new flex should be broken in. A few quick, low torque projects. I have never heard any official word on the subject.

unitedcases
07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Thats what I am doing. A narrow carve. But not short. I was going to pull it out after the carve and give it just a shot of lube.

chief2007
07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
If its running 99 when your building is 93 then not so bad

What is the temp running when the building is cooler? Say at 80

unitedcases
07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
It cooled off as the night cooled and the building cooled. The temp wasnt what bothered me as much as the stiffness of the sheath. Going to run about 4 or 5 narrow 4 hr carves to finish the breakin. When it goes over to measure it appears to still be pretty stiff. Running better though.

unitedcases
07-27-2013, 09:07 AM
So...I have put about 25 or so hours on this new flexshaft and it just doesnt sound right. The shaft is lubed, I have verified that. It seems to have some spaces along the shaft. Like it is coming unwound but its still tight. If that makes sense. If I put my old shaft in the new sheath it sounds much smoother. Any thoughts? Using the right lube too before anyone suggests that one.

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Length of core? Any chance the new core is slightly longer and causing it to be pushed into the flex....

I "Might" try removing the Top Hat and installing 2 SMALL washers under it at the screws making the flex appear shorter....

AL

unitedcases
07-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Good thought al. However I changed the entire assy. I agree with your thought but I would think that shouldnt be a problem. The old one works as advertised. Doesnt heat up or anything. I think I will resoak the new shaft and keep it as a spare. If and when this one finally gives I will measure and adjust. Maybe it just takes a while to break in.