PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if a change has been implemented when hanging a design off the project brd.

Ton80
07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Would someone be kind enough to run a fast test project for me and let me know what happens when creating a project in D2.0? The attached MPC was created with 1.87 so I guess you will have to save it with 2.x first.

To quickly explain... I hang the majority of my projects off the edge of the project board in designer. Reason being is all my work spans across a set of cabinet doors with the project design split across.

When running a raster carve, the machine will only carve the half that is actually seen on the project board, leaving the portion hanging off alone - basically it's auto-cropping the portion of the carve that can't be seen - this is good and the way it should work.

When running a VECTOR carve, the machine does not handle this situation an elegantly. It will essentially waste of bunch of time moving around off the top or bottom of the board with the cutter moving up and down and the board moving around also. It's like the machine is trying to carve the half of the project that is hanging off in space on the project board in designer.

I have been splitting my designs into two separate files before ever bringing them into designer to remedy this but it's a P.I.T.A. to say the least and I am wondering of an upgrade to 2.0 will eliminate this problem. Most designs are complex vector images imported as Centerline so there is no easy way to manually split these designs using the Designer software. They either have to overhang the project board or be broken into two separate font glyphs for import.

Here is an MPC file if anyone is willing to test this out for me and let me know what happens, especially regarding the vector portion of the carve. It's one of the included patterns so you should be able to carve it. I placed the pattern on the left and an outline of the pattern on the right. Both are overhanging the edge of the board. With v1.87, the raster carve will crop off the part not on the board, but the vector portion won't and the cuttern will endup cutting into the board along the entire length of the outline, along the edge of the board. This is not good and what I'm hoping might be solved in v2.x.

To replicate the process the way I would run this please make sure you load a board that is at least 7" over in length and 1/2" wider.. Select IGNORE to auto-jig when compiling. At the machine, select NO to stay under rollers, select Keep original when asked about the wider board, select center the board when asked what to do with the wider board at the machine and select NO when asked if you want to cut the board.... Thanks to anyone willing to try this out for me.

lawrence
07-19-2013, 11:09 PM
bump-

I'm working on some other projects right now or I'd help if I could- but right now all I can do is bump it for ya,

Lawrence

fwharris
07-20-2013, 12:20 AM
See if this helps you out any. I traced 1/2 of the outline..

bergerud
07-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Am I missing something here? There is only a curve with no bit assigned.

Is the experiment just to see if the new Designer wastes time off the board when the vector bit path goes off the board? If so, can we not just try assigning a bit to a circle half off the board? Does the path have to be an outline? Lets simplify the experiment.

Ton80
07-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Absolutely. The experiment is to see what the machine does when a vector path is hanging off the board so if you just want to run a circle with half on/off the board that should work.

Ton80
07-20-2013, 06:17 AM
I didn't assign a bit because I didn't know what someone would have.

brdad
07-20-2013, 06:22 AM
At times like a this a "No Carve" region would be nice - a region where the CW will not drill holes, centerline, or carve vectors or rasters.

Ton80
07-20-2013, 06:22 AM
See if this helps you out any. I traced 1/2 of the outline..

Hey Floyd. On the iPhone so haven't looked at what you posted but I understand what you tried. While that is a good solution for his test, it won't provide a solution for my normal jobs. I need the machine to work with vectors hanging off the board in the same way it works with a raster carve hanging off the board.

Ton80
07-20-2013, 06:25 AM
At times like a this a "No Carve" region would be nice - a region where the CW will not drill holes, centerline, or carve vectors or rasters.

+1 !
We need that. At least I do.

lawrence
07-20-2013, 09:04 AM
it would be great for re-carves as awll

Lawrence

bergerud
07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
I just tried two circles half off of each side of a 2 X 2 Designer board. The actual board was 4 inches wide. What I got was two D shapes. The bit went straight parallel to the "edge" when it thought it was off the board. Sounds like the new Designer does the same as the old. (This also means that it can destroy a sled if the vectors go over the edges. I knew that!)

fwharris
07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Even more reason now to get the new tiling feature that Connie hinted about in the 2.0 section. Ability to layout projects over multiple boards...