PDA

View Full Version : Any way to cut down machining time besides save levels?

Underdog
07-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Since we don't have good pocketing capabilities, is there any other way to cut down machining time besides save levels (draft/normal/best/optimal)?

Like for instance, making lettering shallower (say 1/8th rather than 1/4")?

lynnfrwd
07-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Taking out less wood, by making your depths shallower, do save time. We usually change it from the default of .250 to .125. Just depends on your patterns and if they look better deeper with more detail. Also, using the 3/16" carving bit instead of the 1/16" carving bit when your projects are appropriate to use them saves time, as well.

Underdog
07-21-2013, 05:43 PM
How about "bit optimization"? What effect does setting this at the highest level have?

lynnfrwd
07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Means bit will stop before carving away parts of the design on the z axis. Not much savings i imagine.

lawrence
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Another thing to consider is to play around with the feathering and draft. A bit of feathering (and draft) seems
to often cut down on the project time (significantly in many cases...)

One more technique I use on small carves is to run the "length" of the carve along the y axis. This will make the y travel be longer but will reduce the total number of passes required for the carve. On my recent eagle carve I was able to get the carves down to about 40 minutes by altering the feathering and positioning of the wood/carve in the machine to optimize things.
(45 seconds into this video shows an example of what I am talking about)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrLdtx9u8JE

A great feature would be a "preview" of how long a carve will take without actually loading it onto the carve... but for now you have to load it each time you try something difference.

Hope these help,
Lawrence

Underdog
07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
So... a bit on the same subject and a bit off the subject...

If I can't get my carve less than 3 hours for a 10" x 22" oval sign, how much should I charge for it? I've heard some say that they charge $60/hour machine time. Some charge about $.30/sq.in....

Can I charge $180 for a small sign and still sell it?

Bigtyme
07-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I think $60 a machine hour is pretty steep. I try to look at about $10/ carve hour plus material plus any labor to get material ready and/or finishing. I also try to get design time as well. If I can get $10/ hour, at 200 hours, I have recouped the cost of the machine plus.... A 3 hour carve of a 10" by 22" oval sign in my shop would run $55 to $85 depending on material, finishing and design complexity....

Underdog
07-23-2013, 04:27 PM
What do you charge per hour of finishing and design time?

Bigtyme
07-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Depending on the project... Between 15 and 20 per hour

liblakelady
09-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I would also check out the pricing from on line custom wood carving sites. Those guys have it down and are making good money from what I can see.

aokweld101
09-18-2013, 04:53 PM
This a touchy thing on pricing I think as carvers we know what it takes to make a product.... wood, hardware, sandpaper, stain, varnish, paint and time, But with the economy like it is, the customers, want you to just about give your products away. I have come to the conclusion that if I can't get what its worth I'm keeping it. With jobs being reduced to a thirty hours a week. a lot of people are having a hard time to come up with the money for what I consider specialty items that the carvewright produces. by the time its all said and done the customer would like you to make $20.00 for a days work.:(