PDA

View Full Version : Quick tip on brush on lacquer

KeystoneChuck
07-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I experimented with brush on lacquer over painted letters. When you put lacquer over the paint pens you buy at the craft store (acrylic paint pen) than now I am reading "water resistant". The lacquer smears the paint on the first pass. And this is having the paint sit on my practice board for over a week. Then I put the lacquer over the acrylic paint that you buy in the craft store. No problems with smearing at all. I even tried to smear it on purpose with aggressive brushing over the same spot. Just thought I would share. I am so glad I did a practice piece because I was going to do my lettering with the paint pens like I normally do but thought I would experiment before I committed since I am using the brush on lacquer more and more.

JoeinWestMich
07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience.

gregsolano
07-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I use paint pens and then spray on (spray cans) lacquer. I have been using them for years with no issues.

KeystoneChuck
07-18-2013, 11:52 PM
I use paint pens and then spray on (spray cans) lacquer. I have been using them for years with no issues.
Hi Greg, my issue being addressed is "brushed" on lacquers. I to have covered over many signs with paint pens with spray lacquers with no issues. That is why I was sharing my experience. I didn't think an issue would be there until it smeared like lipstick on glass.

07-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi Greg, my issue being addressed is "brushed" on lacquers. I to have covered over many signs with paint pens with spray lacquers with no issues. That is why I was sharing my experience. I didn't think an issue would be there until it smeared like lipstick on glass.

Why do you use lacquer instead of WBPU? (water-based polyurethane) I prefer WBPU because it has water cleanup, and no (well, very little) smell.

What am I missing?

KeystoneChuck
07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
I use the WBPU also. The nice thing about the lacquer is it doesn't matter if the stain you applied is water based or oil based. One can does both stain types. I have various samples in my stand both in the oil and water base. Its a 50/50 on the customers selection. So having a one can do all is convenient. Can't tell you how many times I mixed by accident water with oil and visa versa. And I see a difference on the durability/finish on the lacquer. It looks more furniture grade looking to me.