PDA

View Full Version : not measuring 1/4" board

wyldblu
02-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Help!!!! i have been trying to use a 1/4" thick board (actual meas. is .255) it will read board width but not length. i put a 1/2" board in and works fine :? i dont get it. i have cleaned the sensor, tested the sensor outputs it reads 149, 150 with board in and goes to zero when board is out. i am sooooo confused!

menewfy
02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
is there a dark piece on the board like a knot. some folks were having trouble but it had nothing to do with height of board. I think they used a piece of tape or something like that. I bet if you search for the word tape you willo find the thread

good luck

wyldblu
02-11-2007, 07:06 PM
i tried 3 different boards. all different colors. both sides. and tape everywhere on the board . ends; middle; side. i dont know

The Bard
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM
if you check out the faq... "Minimum Workpiece Size: 1.5" wide x 0.5" tall x 7.0" long"

It simply will not read anything less.

wyldblu
02-11-2007, 07:24 PM
:oops: i could have sworn it said 1/4", my bad. and that would explain a whole lot

pwngsd
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Bard

Could we stack two 1/4" boards and have it cut the 1/4 board as if it were a 1/2 board? I've only done three small non-complicated projects so far.

-Paul

menewfy
02-12-2007, 09:52 PM
paul there might be a couple of issues doing that
1. top board might move the guide will hold the bottom one in place but the top one could move on you, you might want to put sides on the bottom piece tight to the top one so that it will not go side ways or forwards so almost build a box for it to sit in.

2. if you carve a board that thin you might end up taking too much away and that would leave the board open to warp or crack after not too long.

good luck though

BobHill
02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
As long as you either tack the top board onto the bottom board with something like a glue stick (which is what I usually use) or double sided tape (also good) no problem at all. That's like making a sled for using less than 1/2" boards. I very often have to cut parts out of a 3" x 24" x 3/32" so I have a sled made up that's 3" x 31" x 1/2". This allows full use of the 24" (with 3 ½" 3/32 glued tight to each end) resting in the cradle of the sled, tacked down with a coating of avery (or 3M) stick glue. this way small parts don't get flipped out when being cut through with a setting of 3/32 for depth (you don't ever use Cut Path with this type of setup, of course.

Bob