PDA

View Full Version : Purchased an STL but cant convert it to a pattern

kcc2012
07-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I just purchased an STL from a company and I have been trying to convert it to a pattern but have had no luck. I open the STL importer which imports the pattern but when I try to change the size or try to make it into a pattern I get a GUI run time error and it shuts the program down.
Ive attached a couple of pictures. Ive used other STL patterns from the company I purchased this from and have had no problems resizing any advice would be appreciated.

fwharris
07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Looking at the dimensions it looks like a real large file. Is it crashing when you try to change the size in the importer?

One thing you might look at is the number of patterns you have in your favorites list. If you have a lot then it can be loading up your system and causing the crash. Try reducing the number you have and give it another shot..

kcc2012
07-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Its crashing when I try to change it in the importer and if I leave the dimensions the same it crashes when I try to save it in either favorites or as a pattern on my desktop. Ill try taking out some of my patterns and see if that works.

chief2007
07-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Agree that it is the size of it that causing the crash.

If you get it imported, allow it a couple of minutes for the software to capture everything.

Then change only the z axis and allow it to catch up. You may have to go just a few inches at a time.

SteveNelson46
07-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I just purchased an STL from a company and I have been trying to convert it to a pattern but have had no luck. I open the STL importer which imports the pattern but when I try to change the size or try to make it into a pattern I get a GUI run time error and it shuts the program down.
Ive attached a couple of pictures. Ive used other STL patterns from the company I purchased this from and have had no problems resizing any advice would be appreciated.

This happens to me quite often. Especially if the .stl file was created at a really high resolution (3,000,000 triangles or more).

chief2007
07-15-2013, 07:41 AM

I would also suggest to contact the company and see if they might be able to reduce the size for you.

kcc2012
07-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions and help. I finally got it changed. I guess the old saying is true "By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard its hard".