PDA

View Full Version : Fireman Themed Sign

Rob Mulgrew
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
63473This turned out to be one of my best projects thus far and most profitable. The top piece is 14 x 14" and is a pattern that somebody shared freely on the forum at one point (thank you). The bottom fire truck I made into a pattern from an image I found online. The painting my wife did, like usual. I added a few coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane on it and its ready to be delivered today.

peep
07-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Nice and personalized. Good paint job also.

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Very Nice !!!

Fire Clocks DO sell.... I wish I could paint 1/2 as good....

AL

Rob Mulgrew
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
As for the requests I am getting for the patterns for this carve, please message me with your email. The top pattern someone else made and is here somewhere on the forum freely shared but I will send it to you again if you cant find it and the bottom firetruck piece I made and will send the mpc to you if requested.

Rob Mulgrew
07-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks Al!
I would love to try a clock. Where do you get the clock mechanisms at? They are pricey at the hobby stores I go to. I was thinking of just buying a clock at the dollar general and taking the motor and hands out?
Very Nice !!!

Fire Clocks DO sell.... I wish I could paint 1/2 as good....

AL

clweed
07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Try Klockit (http://www.klockit.com/?gclid=CIX2xZzDpbgCFZRj7AodqSEAsg&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Rob Mulgrew
07-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Very cool site. Thanks for sharing.

Try Klockit (http://www.klockit.com/?gclid=CIX2xZzDpbgCFZRj7AodqSEAsg&gclsrc=aw.ds)

lawrence
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Great looking sign, thanks for sharing your pic with us

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Klockit and I get them by the case of 100.... SO much cheaper.. and get the one with the longest shaft... and get the wrench and little minute hand nut driver... Worth it... and the metal bracket...

With the AC Adapter Klockit sells with the rechargeable battery... WE can now add LED's to the Clock... and the Wall Wort Adapter will run the lights... A ACRYLIC Clock like this would be COOL....

Here are some more ideas form the past...

The Maltese Cross has that Recess FLAT area where you can ADD the TEXT... In the PAST I would DO 2 mps's... one with ONLY the Text as it was a Recess Area.... With our new tools we can do it the first time... some of the clocks in the first set... I had to use a nail and DEEPEN the TEXT before painting because of Depth Problems... No longer....

I was learning.... Using a Drill Press and the BIG BIT that Klockit sells.. Off Center on some... And the picture with the picture to sketch program I was playing with at the time...:mad:

AL

chebytrk
07-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Hey Al... I know that it all depends on the demographic area, but I'm curious on the price range of your clocks. If you don't mid saying... JerryB

Klockit and I get them by the case of 100.... SO much cheaper.. and get the one with the longest shaft... and get the wrench and little minute hand nut driver... Worth it... and the metal bracket...

With the AC Adapter Klockit sells with the rechargeable battery... WE can now add LED's to the Clock... and the Wall Wort Adapter will run the lights... A ACRYLIC Clock like this would be COOL....

Here are some more ideas form the past...

The Maltese Cross has that Recess FLAT area where you can ADD the TEXT... In the PAST I would DO 2 mps's... one with ONLY the Text as it was a Recess Area.... With our new tools we can do it the first time... some of the clocks in the first set... I had to use a nail and DEEPEN the TEXT before painting because of Depth Problems... No longer....

I was learning.... Using a Drill Press and the BIG BIT that Klockit sells.. Off Center on some... And the picture with the picture to sketch program I was playing with at the time...:mad:

AL

Rob Mulgrew
07-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks Al,
You always have very good information and helpful posts. I would be interested in knowing also in how you price your pieces. Is there a set formula from how much materials you use to how much labor you estimate into a piece?

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Pretty much all the clocks will sell for $35.00 all day long... But I try to get $40.00 to $45.00 and if Custom $50.00.

With that being said... I have only sold about 2 clocks in the last 3 years... Given away about 10.... They sold well at CRAFT Shows.. but I have not done any shows in about 3 years... Not that much money in shows at the moment but Fire Tags have my interest... But even that is the lowest in 5 years.... I did talk to a guy that has been still doing the shows I was doing and his Craft Stuff sells like crazy... I just have too many irons in the fire.... Wood Signs, Metal Signs, Fire Department Stuff...

The first 2 pictures are Metal Signs for the Fire Department Parking Lot where the Life Flight Medical Helo lands... Getting there and finding a Truck parked can be a real bummer.... They have had to pull a few off the lot... Red Film cut on my Graphtec FC7000 Vinyl Cutter then applied over White High Intensity Film. It's basically a Street Sign... I can do Green, Red, and Blue. Having the ability to print full color on everything from Ceramic Tile, Coffee Cups, Mouse Pads, and Fire Tags gives me the ability to print on a Clear Film. I then apply it on White Reflective Vinyl and make Stickers, Hitch covers, and License Plates... I DO still do Fire Shows...

The 1.5 x 4 tags are on the way to North Dakota and that Chief has reserved booths at the next 2 Fire Shows to sell my stuff... He Loves it that much.... Plus he is a Fire Training Instructor....

So I sit in the AC today listening to Sirius with 2 Boom Boxes one on each end of my shop and when cloud cover causes a slight loss in signal I get out of phase music... I am listening to the 80's and the ECHO sounds like a Amptheater... Life is GOOD.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I received a PM asking how I market the Fire Clocks? I wanted to pass the answer on to all.

I believe that since all towns have fire departments I believe in making a few clocks for each fire department in the area and stock piling then in the off season. EASY to store... I use the Plastic Tubs that have the 2 hinged flaps that Wally Mart sells. They stack nice on end and without the clock works are easy to display. At Craft Shows the clocks are a "Impulse BUY" where either a fireman or a fireman FRIEND will buy the clocks... So having the clocks is like Money in the BANK in MY book... I tend to use #2 Pine and plan the placement of the clock BETWEEN the KNOTS.... I use the taped on 4 inch block of wood as seen in a picture above that makes for FRUGAL use of WOOD...

I have even had Fire Departments that do BINGO offer the clocks they buy from me as a fund raiser...

WAY BACK when our Carving Buddy "ChrisAlb" was still in the area he helped me deliver Carved FIRE Trophy's for the County Fair event.... It ended up being the last year as a Car Demolition Event took it's Saturday Night place.. It's all money.... Fire Event was FREE the Demolition they charge for...

So with some Creative Ideas... I made some Trophies... All started with selling a Clock.... "Can you do Trophies like THAT?" Sure....

I have my site too as seen below for the Tags and I do get requests for clocks and stuff too...

Last year I visited the Fire Department that is in the Development that I do all the Wood Signs for to inspect the Fire Tags I had done in 2008. Saw the Wooden Trophy that THEY had won that night... Still Looked GREAT....

The 2nd picture is a RARE picture of ME and the 2nd to last is a RARE Picture of Carver ChrisAlb. Chris moved south to help with Family a few years ago. He Checks in sometimes... "HEY BUDDY"

Nothing prevents you from making a SAMPLE Clock and finding out what night the local Fire Department has it's Monthly Meeting and ask to make a presentation.... The way I did it was make one for the FIRE HOUSE and DONATE it... and take orders.....

AL

CNC Carver
07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a good way to get some interest in signs. I'll be making some for our volunteer department as gifts. Thanks to Robert sharing his pattern. Thanks
Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Make sure your contact info is on the back of the clock... I have done a few Fireman Retirement Plaques where the idea was planted when they saw the clock. And I have done a few to Honor Lost Firemen....

AL

Underdog
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Al and Robert! I might just have to make some of these ideas. The FD is just around the corner from me...

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Finished the LZ Signs. The top 3 are recycled .080 blue 911 signs with new white Engineering Grade Vinyl with Red Film. I make 911 signs for local Fire Departments.

The bottom is a High Intensity White 8 x 36 Street Sign with red film. It will hang on the Building.

Don't forget the EMS side of Clocks too....

AL

PDunn
05-27-2014, 09:11 PM
where did you find the pattern for the fire truck

CNC Carver
05-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Read first post. Robert made the truck pattern. Send him a pm he might share it with you.

Jeff

where did you find the pattern for the fire truck