PDA

View Full Version : Gun rack

johnsonswamp
07-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Here's a gun rack I just finished up, all cut out with the CW and a pattern I found in the store. Was my first time using Shellac and will be my last time brushing it on, it didn't turn out as even coated as I like. Was my first time painting a carve, not as easy as I thought it would be, but fun.

mtylerfl
07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Great job! That turned out really nice!

aokweld101
07-10-2013, 07:48 AM
I think you done a excellent job on the painting I use a brush to put the shellac on I put three coats on to keep it even and sand with 220 sandpaper in between each coat and wiped it down with mineral spirits it comes out looking like a mirror. I didn't do well at the start it looked liked I painted over sandpaper.

lawrence
07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
great job- that is a fine looking project.

For the shellac, did you buy it premixed or mix your own? Freshness is a really big
factor in the success of shellac (for drying etc) and it's not uncommon for an old can
to discourage first time users.

I've found another key to shellac is thinning it out with plenty of denatured alcohol and
to only use the dewaxed versions (if using premixed this is the "sealcoat" not the clear
or the amber shellac which both contain wax which can complicate the finish)

At any rate, real nice job on the project,
Lawrence

Smoken D
07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
What Lawrence said! Great Job, painting is a *****, but what it does to a project really makes it stand out. Again, Great Job!

johnsonswamp
07-10-2013, 10:00 AM
great job- that is a fine looking project.

For the shellac, did you buy it premixed or mix your own? Freshness is a really big
factor in the success of shellac (for drying etc) and it's not uncommon for an old can
to discourage first time users.

I've found another key to shellac is thinning it out with plenty of denatured alcohol and
to only use the dewaxed versions (if using premixed this is the "sealcoat" not the clear
or the amber shellac which both contain wax which can complicate the finish)

At any rate, real nice job on the project,
Lawrence

I used bullseye from lowes, both the dewaxed and wax/amber. I had a couple different problems with it.

I stained, applied the dewaxed x2 coats. 2 coats waxed because I wanted that golden/amber color, then 2 more coats of dewaxed for the clear finish look. all with sanding in between coats to even out but not remove the layer. followed the labels on drying, etc.

1st problem was runs when applying it to the edges, when you wipe them off the previous layer has started to remelt and smudges..

2nd was if you look on both sides of the carving you can see how the amber didn't lay down evenly and looks blotchy to me, and that was after thinning it down.

3rd and what made me say many, many choice words was after about 2 days of drying I had a few days of down time so I set all the boards to the side until I could assemble it, and 2 of the pieces glued themselves to my work bench popping off chunks of the shellac. I guess it was not all the way cured when I moved them there.

I will never ever use the amber again. I may try to mix my own in the future, but for now it's back to stain and poly only..

SteveEJ
07-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Nice! I may have to look at one as soon as I finish a door height spice rack that is LONG overdue! I have a LOT of spices and rubs. I am in West Tennessee, aka: Memphis style.. lol

Added after above read.. I put down wax paper and lay project on it before adding finish coats. Don't know if it will work for you. Just a tip I use. You probably thought of it already though.

Bigtyme
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
After using all types of finishes for 30 years, I have become a big fan of wipe on poly. I find it applies easily, can certainly be wiped in the right spots, comes in several gloss styles, and dries hard and fast. It can be recoated relatively quickly and is very hard when completely dry. I always use oil based finishes as the water "born" finishes only seem to add more work between coats dealing with raised grain.... As Dennis Miller would say, "Only my opinion and I could be wrong" :)

James RS
07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I like your project great job, also liking the new thumbs up option