PDA

View Full Version : Letter Spacing messed up

SAA3840
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I am having a problem with the spacing on my current project. I've made several of these in the past and had no problem with the spacing of the letters. I just finished two more copies of this project and I've ended up with what amounts to some pretty firewood. I've attached the MPC file and a picture of what came out of the machine.
I used masking tape on both edges and the center of the back, both belts are clean, the boards used were both planed true, little if any warping.
Any ideas as to why the spacing is off??
Oh, The machine carved the two border lines first so I am assuming that the board is not slipping. I could be wrong I suppose.
The font is Black Chancery

lynnfrwd
07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
What font are you using?

SAA3840
07-08-2013, 04:03 PM
What font are you using?

Black Chancery

chief2007
07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
How many hours are on the machine?

DocWheeler
07-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I would suspect head-pressure and/or not good contact with belts; just my $.02

SAA3840
07-08-2013, 05:34 PM
How many hours are on the machine?

Without going out to the shop and checking, I'd say 3-400hrs. Nothing is original on the machine, I've replaced a ton of stuff, belts, wires, I'm using the collet-tool holder ( I can't remember the name of it, Quick-change is long gone).

DickB
07-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Are the spacing errors identical on the three messed-up projects, or do they vary?

fwharris
07-08-2013, 06:11 PM
What version of software are you running?

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
In my opinion it is all about the brass roller. Had you watched the machine do the text I bet you would have seen it do bits and pieces of the text and go back and finish deeper stuff.... And from the time that the first text was cut the X Shifted as in the Brass Roller lost contact with the board.

I would take some PLASTIC WOOD and make a pass over all the text filling it in to the point so you can see if it carves a 2nd time.... And after dry, sand flush and cut again... This time masking tape on the bottom of the board at the brass roller and a few strips under the board. Watch it and you will see the skipping text....

Again, it's all about the brass roller... and loss of contact. Fix that and happy carving.

AL

badbert
07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a quick workaround for you. Group the two texts together, and Create a pattern from them. delete the text and load the pattern. It will now carve in raster. Much slower but usually works better.

SAA3840
07-09-2013, 06:19 PM
What version of software are you running?

I'm using 1.186 right now. The machine has 655hrs and 49min on it. And the spacing errors were about the same on both projects but the first one had a bunch of letters that were cut too deep. I can't take a picture of the first ruined project as I ran that board through my planer and made a 5/8" board into a 1/4" board.

Now I'm going to try this same project using Raster letters rather than Centerline. Designer says it's going to take almost 8 hours to finish, but if it works it will be worth it. Oak makes for expensive firewood.

DickB
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
If the spacing errors were identical, it might suggest a Designer issue or a corrupt file on the card, in which case a reformat and upload to the card would be suggested.

Since raster moves the board only in increments and only in one direction, but Centerline moves the board back and forth, you may have a fundamental tracking issue that will appear to go away in raster but still remain to haunt you later. I would try measuring the same board several times to see if a tracking issue shows up. Also, is your board 7" longer than your project (are you staying under the rollers)?

SAA3840
07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
If the spacing errors were identical, it might suggest a Designer issue or a corrupt file on the card, in which case a reformat and upload to the card would be suggested.

Since raster moves the board only in increments and only in one direction, but Centerline moves the board back and forth, you may have a fundamental tracking issue that will appear to go away in raster but still remain to haunt you later. I would try measuring the same board several times to see if a tracking issue shows up. Also, is your board 7" longer than your project (are you staying under the rollers)?
Yes, the project, as loaded on the card, is 21" long and 11" wide. The board I used for both botched projects were 30" long and 11 1/4" wide.

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Board bumping up against a high in or out feed table?

SAA3840
07-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Board bumping up against a high in or out feed table?

Don't know but that's one I never thought of. I'll check both feed tables.
Thanks.