PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole Questions

Underdog
07-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Tried creating a keyhole last night using a two segment linked line (in a very steep "V" shape) and then assigning the 3/8" keyhole bit at .325" deep.

But when I got the thing to the CarveWright, it asked for the 1/16" carving bit, and then it made a pass on each segment instead of staying down.

Where'd I go wrong?

bergerud
07-07-2013, 07:59 AM
The keyhole only works using the keyhole tool. You will see the keyhole pattern on the board. Just assigning the keyhole bit does not give a keyhole. (Strange that it did not ask for the keyhole bit after you assigned it though.)

Edit: you must be using 1.187. I just noticed that the keyhole bits are not in the bit list in 2.001.

Underdog
07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
The guys I've talked to about this, said they made keyholes without the keyhole tool, using the method I wrote about above. The only difference is that they used the 3/8" flat bottom bit.

lawrence
07-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Wasn't there a way (at least in the past) to get a keyhole by drawing the line in designer down and then back- it wouldn't show in the software but you'd get the effect when you carved it.

I have always just used my router table for this so I'm not sure

Lawrence

Underdog
07-07-2013, 09:07 AM
That's what I wrote about above.... You make a very steep "V" shape with the segmented line tool, then assign the 3/8" bit to it.

Perry first told me about it at the Woodworking Show in Atlanta this spring. So I was surprised when it didn't work...

I'll try it with a scrap piece of wood and the plain 3/8" bit...

dbfletcher
07-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Wasn't there a way (at least in the past) to get a keyhole by drawing the line in designer down and then back- it wouldn't show in the software but you'd get the effect when you carved it.

I have always just used my router table for this so I'm not sure

Lawrence

I think this is what you were referring to Lawrence.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13483-Router-bits&p=111073#post111073

This is how I have always done keyholes on the carvewright. Once you understand the process, it is pretty simple to make any type of keyhole you wish. Even thou it is the least cost add-on LHR has, I still couldnt justify the cost for what it does.. especially since you can do everthing it does with the tools already in designer. If they sold it without the bit, I'd be more inclined to buy it, because the keyhole bit I have works just fine.

Underdog
07-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks Doug. I didn't see that one in my search last night.

My question is why didn't it work when I selected the 3/8" keyhole bit?

What's the difference in that one and the 3/8" straight bit? Is that why it didn't work, or is there something else going on?

bergerud
07-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Sorry, I get it now. I thought you were trying the new keyhole function. Those keyhole bits in the bit list may be something that was supposed to be removed before release. They do not make real sense and they are not in release 2.001. I would just choose the 3/8 straight bit.

Capt Bruce
07-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi Underdog,

Yes, you and Perry and I reviewed the technique we've both used to make key hole cuts on the back of carvings as a two sided carve. What we were reviewing preceeded the introduction of CW's Keyhole software and their bits.

Using a 3/8" keyhole bit from the aftermarket, we showed you how to draw a connected horizontal line the total length of your desired keyhole, click to set the length and then draw back to the starting place with a second line segment, but do not quite touch the stating point, click and end the segment.

By then assigning what Ver. 1.187 thinks is a 3/8" straight cutting bit to that line pair and a depth of 3/8" the bit will plunge and travel the length and back where it will withdraw leaving you a keyhole. The only precaution is to check the height of the lower cutter and if it is taller than 1/4" make your plunge depth greater so the undercut sides will be at least 1/8" thick. That is what we reviewed at the Atlanta WW Show in March. Hope this helps.

This what you would see on screen in Designer 1.187 even though the 3/8" opening (dotted line) and narrow horizontal slot will appear on your board.