PDA

View Full Version : Y track Rail Issue

Proctorw
07-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I just began to clean my machine at 75 hours, have it powered down and unplugged. The Y truck won't move like it should when it is unplugged. It is frozen. If I turn on the machine, the truck homes and seems to work fine. Unplugged it and again the truck won't move on the Y axis. I removed the Covers/guides (1 snapped) sprayed some WD40 on the bearings, but no luck. I tried to force it pretty hard, but I am afraid of breaking something. Any ideas or do I need to wait to call LHR on Monday? I had some plans which will now be put on hold.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

Proctorw
07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Re-Assembled, still frozen, now I get a "Y axis stall message. E05-0303 Press Stop". I will search for other threads with this issue.

henry1
07-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Your bearing check them , you might have to take the carriage off and check them , the bearing will give you the Y error

liquidguitars
07-06-2013, 03:30 PM
With the power off and if the truck is still tight it means that your bearings are dirty. the fix is to remove the truck and inspect all of the bearing by hand, not possable if the trucks installed. once removed spray the bearings with the WD40 then blow with air repeat untill they spin. also a good time to look at the y pack, push down on the gear if it move more that a 1/6" you could need to rebuild.

07-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I just began to clean my machine at 75 hours, have it powered down and unplugged. The Y truck won't move like it should when it is unplugged. It is frozen. If I turn on the machine, the truck homes and seems to work fine. Unplugged it and again the truck won't move on the Y axis. I removed the Covers/guides (1 snapped) sprayed some WD40 on the bearings, but no luck. I tried to force it pretty hard, but I am afraid of breaking something. Any ideas or do I need to wait to call LHR on Monday? I had some plans which will now be put on hold.
Thanks for any help.
Wayne

Try disconnecting/unscrewing the y-axis motor assembly and then try moving the truck free from the Y-axis motor cog. That will locate the problem between the truck or the y-axis motor assembly. I can say from experience that the Y-axis motor is vulnerable to bending/breaking if a chip lodges between the belt and either end sheave. (...it was just a little shard of plastic!) If it still jams without the Y-axis motor attached, then unscrew the plate with the right sheave of the toothed belt (the one with the spring) so the truck is free of the belt. This may not fix the problem but will locate it better. It goes without saying not to force anything.

Proctorw
07-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the input. I know what I will be doing this evening. This is the reason I really do like the Carvewright Machine, the community of folks on the forum. I have never seen such a great group of folks willing to help out others. Thanks, I will post my progress later this evening!!!

Proctorw
07-06-2013, 09:53 PM
OK, took off the belt, the truck moved fine. Removed the Y motor and blew out some dust. put Moly on the gears and turned with hand, at first rather difficult but loosened up a bit. Put everything back together and it seems to work, however moving the truck with the power off seems more difficult than I remember. I will see what LHR has to say on Monday. I had taken the cover off and disconnected the shaft. after putting everything back, I noticed this part sitting on the rubber pads. Any ideas what this is? I will have to look tomorrow to try and figure out where it cam from. It is difficult to see in the pictures I posted. It is a small piece about 1 " x 1" with a tab on the end.

As always thanks for your help,
Wayne

bergerud
07-07-2013, 12:51 AM
That is part 55 - Blow Port Deflector. It pinches between the top cover and the frame right up above the brass roller.

fwharris
07-07-2013, 01:19 AM
How was the play/movement of the big white gear in the Y gear box? Did you spin/move the gears with out the motor installed to the gear box? Also did you check the small gear on the belt tension adjustment end? If the truck moves fine without being attached to the belt then the bearing in the Y gear box assembly could be bad. They can spin freely when not attached to the belt but with tension of the belt the force will bind them up.

Proctorw
07-07-2013, 06:14 AM
That is part 55 - Blow Port Deflector. It pinches between the top cover and the frame right up above the brass roller.

Thanks bergerud.

Proctorw
07-07-2013, 06:19 AM
I didn't remove the gear box from the motor. The small gear on the belt tension adjustment seemed to move freely. How freely should the gear on the motor move. It was quite difficult at first, but after cleaning and putting moly on the gears it was easier to move. Still seemed like it should have moved a little easier, but I have nothing to compare it to now. I was going to make a small carve this morning and see what happens. Thanks for your help fwharris.

liquidguitars
07-07-2013, 11:16 AM
however moving the truck with the power off seems more difficult than I remember.

do your bearings free spin? just takes one bad bearing to make a issue like this.

I didn't remove the gear box from the motor.

this is not normally needed useless the z belt is loose.

Still seemed like it should have moved a little easier

After you removed the truck and cleaned all the bearing this would indicate a simple adjustment to the cams of the bearings being to tight.

Proctorw
07-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the advice liquidguitars. I tried a carve and the first one went way too deep, not sure what happened, but caught it pretty quick. Powered the machine down and restarted and now I get the "Y Axis error. Guess I will take off the bearings and see how they move.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Proctorw
07-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Talked to LHR. I let them know that the Y axis error motor was very difficult to turn by hand when I removed it. The Tech mailed me a new one, I just received it tonight, opened the box, and the motor was very easy to turn by hand. Will get it installed tomorrow and start a new carve. The difficult thing about "Debugging" this was I had no knowledge of how easy the Y motor should have turned. Anyway, looks like the issue is resolved. Thanks again for all your advice.

Wayne

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Just for FUN.... Remove the back of the BAD Motor.... Might be DUST inside...

AL

Proctorw
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Al, It is covered under warranty, so I think I better not to get my core charge back. Once I have to pay for these, I definitely will take it apart.