PDA

View Full Version : 2.001 problems

Gary Koval
07-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Okay everyone,
1. I have installed the software via posted instructions. My computer info is listed below. Not all patterns are viewable in the new "open with preview" option. Is this normal?
2. When I "save as", name the file, get out of Designer and come back in, it is not listed where saved. If I query the file it shows that it is saved, and at that point can be opened. Now, if I restart my computer the file is lost.
Just trying to get past these problems before going on... Am I doing something wrong?
Gary

lynnfrwd
07-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Will have to try to reproduce that. Are you sure it's not just the system trying to create the new thumbnail view?

bergerud
07-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Try using the normal open file dialogue without the preview feature. I noticed that it really took quite some time for the thumbnails to be created.

lawrence
07-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I do have a software question about this- I move my files quite around quite a bit- will this recreate itself each time?

Also, I keep many of my files on an external drive and in some cases on several different thumb drives, is the system going to have to "find" my files each time I re-insert the drive?

Lawrence

Gary Koval
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
In reference to the "Open with Preview" option no I still do not have all files showing, and if I stay on a certain file for it to load the pic, I get a program crash and loose everything.
Gary

bergerud
07-05-2013, 04:02 PM
That is what happened to me for the first while. I think that the program has taken up the task of creating all of your thumbnails in the background. Try a sub directory with only a few files in it. (I am just going to skip the preview feature until 2.002 comes out.)

farmer
07-05-2013, 05:42 PM
I just tried to open a old project and DS 2.01 said the font was not installed on this computer!
I went to windows and look it is installed. So I opened DS 1.187 and went to text and it show the
the cooper std black font in it! Went back to 2.01 and it does not show!
I consider this a bug!

bergerud
07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I count 255 fonts on my computer in 1.187 and only 204 in 2.001. So I must agree with you, some fonts are missing.

bergerud
07-05-2013, 06:51 PM
What kind of font is the one you are missing? Is it a Truetype font or a bitmap type font?

Gary Koval
07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Yep, worked all day on a file saving it faithfully every half hour or so. Went back to it after dinner- it's gone. Still not all previews showing, yep probably wait like Bergerud till 2.002 comes out.
Gary

bergerud
07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Do you mean the file is actually gone or just that there is no preview?

farmer
07-05-2013, 10:26 PM
It is a .otf Adobe open type font. I have other files that are the same type and they show in both 1.187 and 2.01. Have not figured out why some show and some don't in 2.01.

bergerud
07-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I believe the new text morphing features in 2.0 demand vector based fonts like Truetype. Some fonts are bitmaps and they could be the ones rejected. I tried an experiment with a font which showed up in 1.187 but not in 2.0. When I opened the file in 2.0, it said a font used in this project isn't installed on this computer and a replacement would be used. Then it opened with (I assume) was a replacement but then when I tried to edit it, it crashed.

So, I assume that the new text features are somehow related this new font selectivity and someday soon, we may get an explanation.

Gary Koval
07-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Bergerud,
Sorry if I'm not clear here. I have two problems- 1. That not all previews are showing.
2. That I cannot "save as" when I do, the file never shows up in the destination selected. If I query the file, it can be opened in the query window, by clicking on it. If I close Designer or restart my computer, the file is lost. If I query after that I'm informed that there is no file by that name on the computer. I hope you can understand, as sometimes I get to wordy, like now.
Gary

bergerud
07-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I had the same problem with the previews. Some of the previews did not show up for a few days. I had a large directory of files.

As for your second problem, it really sounds strange. Once a file is saved to the hard drive, how can it disappear? I have not heard of anyone else with this problem. You are going to have to do some more digging. If Designer is deleting files, well, it just would be just too strange.

Gary Koval
07-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Unfortunately none of those re-saved files work for me on both versions of Designer.

While not pertaining to my issue, it also seems there may be a file association issue, perhaps from switching back and forth from 1.187 to 2.0 as I am getting "Application not found" errors if I click on the downloaded file through Google Chrome, and if I go to my download folder and click the actual file, Windows brings up the dialog asking what program to open the file with. Telling it to always open using gui.exe (1.189) seemed to fix the issue for now - but clicking the file always opens it in 1.187, which seems like expected behavior. I know someone in another post has file not found issues, that may help.

I have determined by saving to the Desktop that this is part of my problem (see pic of saved "test" file on desktop). I cannot however, click on the "Always use the selected program to open this file" box as it does not highlight to be able to do that (see pic). Any thoughts on how to rectify?
Gary

brdad
07-07-2013, 09:39 AM
I have determined by saving to the Desktop that this is part of my problem (see pic of saved "test" file on desktop). I cannot however, click on the "Always use the selected program to open this file" box as it does not highlight to be able to do that (see pic). Any thoughts on how to rectify?
Gary

Did you click on the gui.exe that was in the window, or did you browse to the actual file location? If you did not browse to it, that could be your issue. Sometimes the listed program is not where Windows thinks it is.

And not to be picky, but isn't it time the Designer got a better name than the default "gui"? :confused:

fwharris
07-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Gary

Gary,

I have seen this also with saving a file (not necessarily Designer) to "desk top" and then not finding it listed when trying to open it from an application. What I found was that it was saved to the desk top in another account. Seems like it they were in admin. Also have seen that they would not show up in the application window but when I looked for them with Explorer they would be there..

Gary Koval
07-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Brdad,
Tried it both ways, neither highlights.
Fwharris,
When I save the file to my personal "Carvewright saved Patterns" it will not show up where saved. If I then query in that file, I can then click on the query list of the selected file and it starts in Designer. If I close Designer or restart the computer, the file is lost. But if I save to desktop I can access it and save my progress in it. When I save to desktop, the file is a blank file and when you click on it, the window opens asking which program you want to start the file with. I hope this makes sense to those that read it...
Gary