PDA

View Full Version : Bug reporting - designer 2.001

lawrence
07-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Bug reporting - designer 2.0001

I'm finding quite a few bugs/glitches and am unsure where to post them... so I guess I'll post them here as I find them. I'm not going to lie, though I'm pretty happy with the potential for this new software, I am so far disappointed with its stability or the "completeness" of the features. I plan to do a few videos up showing the 2.0001 in use so that y'all can hopefully get a good idea of what works and what doesn't work as I'd expect it to, but in the meantime I plan to post the bugs here for the programmers.

Here's my info so that the programmer's jobs may be a little easier.

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHZ
12 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 7 home premium
AMD Radeon HD 6800 graphics card

all drivers updated, windows up to date, virus scanned (Avast)

Bug reports to come,
Lawrence

chief2007
07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Stability is correct, I have had 2.0 crash several times, but I like the features it has so far.

lawrence
07-03-2013, 04:10 PM
First bug- (an arachnid actually)

When opening up an MPC (in this case, from an external drive) both when using the "open with preview" (4/4 even after restart) and 1/4 times when using the "open" tab in 2.001, the MPC opened up without any wood grain, and the wood grain was not available to be used from the tab pull down. When leaving the project up, 2-3 minutes later I got a system crash in one case. This happens with many different MPCs including those created with 2.001

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bug1_zps98e9046b.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/bug1_zps98e9046b.jpg.html)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bug3_zpsa0edcddc.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/bug3_zpsa0edcddc.jpg.html)

lawrence
07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Opening bug- has happened half a dozen times or so- upon opening 2.001 I get a lock up/crash and the following error
"SQL error, column path is not unique Unable to fetch results"

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bug2_zpse5d01ed2.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/bug2_zpse5d01ed2.jpg.html)

DickB
07-09-2013, 09:24 AM
I've got a couple problems with a project that uses the Arial Black font version 5.06: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=2002. I believe the font came with my Windows 7. First off, the file type is .ttf, but designer 2.0 says it is not installed on my computer. Second, since I used this font on a clock with 12 numerals, I get 12 warnings to which I have to respond individually 12 times about the same font when I open the project. Maybe not a bug, but a nuisance. Third, when I try to edit the text to change the font, Designer crashes. To demo the crash, I am attaching a subset of the project, not the whole project.

liquidguitars
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
DickB, the file opened but like you said when I clicked on it Designer closed...

gapdev
07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
The mpc opens and is editable on a Mac (OS X 10.8.4). It even recognizes the Arial Black that is installed.

Kenny

SteveEJ
07-09-2013, 03:31 PM
If there is only a 1 and 2 on the board it opens OK with my Mac (10.8.4) as well with correct font.

I will check it on Windows 7 Ultimate in a minute.

Added:

Designer 2.001 in Win7 Ultimate shows Font not installed error and does NOT show Arial Black in the font list.

Designer 1.85 on the SAME Win 7 Ultimate shows the file not loadable because it was from a newer version but it DOES SHOW Arial Black font installed.

DickB, what version was this saved in? I can install 1.87 if it was saved in that for testing.

DickB
07-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes, 1.87.

farmer
07-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I am having the same problem with the Cooper Black font, DS 2.01 does not see it, but 1.187 does. Any figured out why it does not see some fonts? I can not see any difference in the other font properties.

mikemi
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
DickB, the file opened but like you said when I clicked on it Designer closed...

It does the same thing on my computer.
Mike

SteveNelson46
07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I am having the same problem with the Cooper Black font, DS 2.01 does not see it, but 1.187 does. Any figured out why it does not see some fonts? I can not see any difference in the other font properties.

I am having the same problem too.

lynnfrwd
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Are they TrueType fonts?

farmer
07-10-2013, 06:02 AM
So your are saying Connie the 2.01 will only see true type font, not like 1.187 that will see any type?

SteveEJ
07-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Turn OFF the computer/ipad/iphone, etc Connie! You ARE ON VACATION!! Shut that portion of your brain down. Have Fun! Seriously, you need a rest from this for a few days..

DickB
07-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Are they TrueType fonts?Yes, the one I am using (I provided the link to Microsoft's font) is .ttf.

carrothers
07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Another bug with 2.0 is the board settings have to match the actual exactly...mine was inputted as 28.875 and it measured 28.871 and kept telling me to load a new board. I took that mpc card out (that was upgraded to 2.0) and put the mpc file on another card with 1..187 and it worked just fine. I did get a warning earlier that told me that the artwork that I was loading could not be scaled which happens a lot and I just say "enter" and go on with the carve.

hess
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
any one know what would cause 2.0 to lock up on opening running win 7 on intel

hess
07-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Opening bug- has happened half a dozen times or so- upon opening 2.001 I get a lock up/crash and the following error
"SQL error, column path is not unique Unable to fetch results"

Hey bro did you ever fine out what was causing the lock up? mine opens then locks cant close it without restart of the pc

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bug2_zpse5d01ed2.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/bug2_zpse5d01ed2.jpg.html)
Hey bro did you ever fine out what was causing the lock up? mine opens then locks cant close it without restart of the pc

mtylerfl
07-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Another bug with 2.0 is the board settings have to match the actual exactly...mine was inputted as 28.875 and it measured 28.871 and kept telling me to load a new board. I took that mpc card out (that was upgraded to 2.0) and put the mpc file on another card with 1..187 and it worked just fine. I did get a warning earlier that told me that the artwork that I was loading could not be scaled which happens a lot and I just say "enter" and go on with the carve.

That is not a bug. By the way, when you get the message "artwork could not be scaled" this indicates you have some centerline elements on the board layout...again, not a bug...centerline cannot be scaled. But, remember, you never want to allow scaling anyway.

Please read the following Tips & Tricks and you can say "goodbye" to scaling problems forever...

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

lynnfrwd
07-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Drill hole is also unscalable.

carrothers
07-12-2013, 08:22 PM
That is not a bug. By the way, when you get the message "artwork could not be scaled" this indicates you have some centerline elements on the board layout...again, not a bug...centerline cannot be scaled. But, remember, you never want to allow scaling anyway.

Please read the following Tips & Tricks and you can say "goodbye" to scaling problems forever...

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

Michael...forget the scaling ...the real issue is the board settings. I found that in uploading to a 2.0 card and inserting that card into my machine I got the message that it had measured it just slightly different (less and a couple hundrenths of an inch) and kept prompting me to put in another board. I couldn't get pass that prompt on the machine so I came back to the computer and uploaded the same mpc file onto another 1.187 card and it loaded just fine and carved just fine. The only difference was the first error was on the 2.0 card. A bug is a bug...no other name I can call it.

I emailed LRC last night with another continuing problem with downloading patterns or upgrades. I constantly have issues that even the Level 1 techs can resolve...there has to be a better way to buy on line without having the hassles of their server not being able to read the 16 digit codes that they send out. The last time I had to turn off my firewall in order for the server to communicate...in spite of the fact that I told McAfee to allow .gui or whatever they go by to come in....frustrating when you're working late at night and the LRC office is closed. More frustrating is they didn't call back to fix the problem today.

mtylerfl
07-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Drill hole is also unscalable.

Forgot about the drill holes not being able to scale. Say - have you gone fishing yet?

Carrothers...Scaling is so easily avoided, it's funny. Just cut your board a tad bigger than your layout (perhaps about 1/8" is all). Any minor measurement discrepencies won't matter and you can proceed with your project, no problem. As long as your board is slightly oversize, you will have the option "Keep Original Size" (option 1). If your board is measured even the slightest bit smaller than the layout, you will NOT have the choice of keeping the original size - that's where folks goof up. Had a call just yesterday from a new CW owner in New York..."My carvings are coming out smaller than they should. Why?" I wish I had a nickel for every call I've had on this topic. That's why I wrote the article - to cut down on my tech calls. Didn't work as well as I hoped.
:p

brdad
07-13-2013, 12:28 AM
It is easily avoided, but how easy would it be to have an option to never allow scaling to begin with? We all use these machines differently, but there is probably 1% of users that even have a need for a scaling function. An option to not allow scaling (and maybe even have that the default setting!) would cure those problems. Users might occasionally have to load a new board, but at least they're not wasting a board carving something to scale.

For such extensive software the user options are still minimal. You'd think after all this time we could set scaling options as well as the default bits for cutouts, centerline and drilled holes, as well as default texture and other menu settings.

As far as bugs, I am still having 2.01 demo problems with the select tool as I did in 1.187. If I open a new project, click on the pattern list, select a pattern and place it on the board, and then click on the rotate tool, I get the rotate tool, but instead of the rotate tool showing as down, the select tool shows as down. From that point, there is no way to select the select tool without clicking another tool first (including the rotate tool).

carrothers
07-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Forgot about the drill holes not being able to scale. Say - have you gone fishing yet?

Carrothers...Scaling is so easily avoided, it's funny. Just cut your board a tad bigger than your layout (perhaps about 1/8" is all). Any minor measurement discrepencies won't matter and you can proceed with your project, no problem. As long as your board is slightly oversize, you will have the option "Keep Original Size" (option 1). If your board is measured even the slightest bit smaller than the layout, you will NOT have the choice of keeping the original size - that's where folks goof up. Had a call just yesterday from a new CW owner in New York..."My carvings are coming out smaller than they should. Why?" I wish I had a nickel for every call I've had on this topic. That's why I wrote the article - to cut down on my tech calls. Didn't work as well as I hoped.
:p

I printed this off and have pasted it next to my computer so I will be sure to remember it. I always cut my boards 7 inches longer than the layout and when it asks if I want to stay under the rollers I always say no...another technique you taught us. Thanks as always.

mtylerfl
07-13-2013, 09:01 AM
It is easily avoided, but how easy would it be to have an option to never allow scaling to begin with? We all use these machines differently, but there is probably 1% of users that even have a need for a scaling function. An option to not allow scaling (and maybe even have that the default setting!) would cure those problems. Users might occasionally have to load a new board, but at least they're not wasting a board carving something to scale.

Well, that might be a possible "wishlist" item but might cause more problems than it would solve. The scaling warning alerts the user that there is a discrepency between the size of the material and the project being run. In that context, the warning can be very valuable. The user just needs to realize what particular scaling messages mean and what to do about them (the scaling article referenced above explains all this).

I endeavor to work within the parameters of a given software program as it is currently equipped. If additional options/features are provided later, I'll shift gears and make use of those. I don't spend a particularly great amount of time "wishing" (although I do compile wishlists to share with various software companies maybe once or twice a year for ideas in future upgrade developments)...rather I spend the bulk of my time "working" with what I have.

DickB
07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Designer is crashing when I try to extract a pattern. This is a customer project that I don't want to post, but I would email it if need be.

brdad
07-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Well, that might be a possible "wishlist" item but might cause more problems than it would solve. The scaling warning alerts the user that there is a discrepency between the size of the material and the project being run. In that context, the warning can be very valuable. The user just needs to realize what particular scaling messages mean and what to do about them (the scaling article referenced above explains all this).

Disabling scaling need not remove the warning, If the board is too small, you'd have to reload a new board or adjust and reload the project to fit. If the board was too big, you'd be asked to choose where to place it on the board as you do now. Simple enough.

Much of the work I do involves improvising or working with the tools provided to me. That doesn't mean I don't do everything I can to improve the situation. When it comes to Designer there are no alternatives, we cannot adjust the code or write macros, our only alternative is to voice some ideas and hope it gets added at some point.

Anyway, back to the original topic...

I am getting the same crashes as DickB while trying to extract patterns. It appears the patterns are saved, however. The projects causing problems may be ones I don't have the fonts installed for?

Another strange behavior I found while playing around with extract patterns. I loaded a file with no text on it, just patterns - I extracted the patterns (and Designer did not crash on this file). When I click on the pattern list button, I get an error that a font used in the project is not on the computer. I think I am getting this error because I extracted patterns from a file for which I did not have the fonts, because I deleted the saved patterns and tried it again and did not get the error message.

While not a bug but rather a inconvenience, when you load a file that includes a font you don't have, there is an error message for each text box that has that font. It seems once you get the message once for a given font, the others should be suppressed. Annoying on a project with 30 or so separate text boxes, and if I click "ok" too fast it often crashes. I don't recall if this happened in 1.187 or if it's new to 2.01. EDIT: It appears this was an issue in 1.187 as well.

DickB
07-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I was having Designer 2 crashes this morning and decided to download it again from here http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=24439&cat=252&page=1. When I try to install it, I get this error:

Also for QtCore4.dll and QtGui4.dll if I click "Ignore".

fwharris
07-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I was having Designer 2 crashes this morning and decided to download it again from here http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=24439&cat=252&page=1. When I try to install it, I get this error:

Also for QtCore4.dll and QtGui4.dll if I click "Ignore".

I had the same or similar errors on an install and reported this to Joe. He had me do a re install..

lawrence
07-13-2013, 02:21 PM
+1 on install errors- I got them on one computer and someone I help out is having trouble too. The computer I'm able to get to work is win 7, both my other computer and my buddy's are native xp computers with upgrades to win 7 (not sure if that makes a difference)

I just told him that hopefully it'll get fixed soon... either that or I misunderstood the "refined installer" concept.

One quick question though- if you have it automatically look for updates, will it ask before it actually goes through with the update?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/1a_zps70c02408.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/1a_zps70c02408.jpg.html)

Lawrence

fwharris
07-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Lawrence,

Good question, No answer though..

On my install error I did do a program removal before the re install and it re installed with out the errors..

skeeterman
07-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Thought i would give this new designer a try but i think ii will stick with 1.184, deal with this crap maybe next year, i am not sure i even want to go to 1.187.
steve

TerryT
07-13-2013, 05:11 PM
1.187 is buggy also. I went back to 186.

DickB
07-13-2013, 05:23 PM
I had the same or similar errors on an install and reported this to Joe. He had me do a re install..
I tried several times with the same result - isn't that the definition of insanity?;)

fwharris
07-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I tried several times with the same result - isn't that the definition of insanity?;)

Persistence!! :D

henry1
07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
1.187 is buggy also. I went back to 186.
Your saying it good to stay at 1.86 //I am at 1.87 ,,,what if some project are made with 1.87 , you would not be able to open them in 1.86 right// 1.87 for me so far so good// what error are you finding in 1.87 // I know some project I do have problem ,,would you be able to point out errors for me thx

TerryT
07-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Your saying it good to stay at 1.86 //I am at 1.87 ,,,what if some project are made with 1.87 , you would not be able to open them in 1.86 right// 1.87 for me so far so good// what error are you finding in 1.87 // I know some project I do have problem ,,would you be able to point out errors for me thx

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23385-1-187-displaying-differently&p=205272#post205272

lawrence
07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
that stinks... I hope you didn't buy the keyhole software or need to do any cutouts (they are really jerky on 1.186)

I'm still wrapping my head around this whole thing... when 3.0 comes out, will 2.0 be a free download or are folks like Terry stuck using software with bugs unless they pay to get rid of them?

Lawrence

henry1
07-14-2013, 09:42 AM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23385-1-187-displaying-differently&p=205272#post205272
Wow I see what you mean ,,now my question is what going to happen now ,and what is Lawrence is saying , I was going to buy the 2.0 now its very iffy going to wait a year now

DickB
07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I too saw the difference using some patterns with 1.187, but I don't know that I'd call it a bug. In looking at my pattern closely, Michael T pointed out that there were some irregularities around the edges (look closely at the right side, green edge) that caused an undesired effect in 1.187 that did not appear with 1.186:

I cleaned up the pattern by rounding the edges in the Pattern Editor, and the undesired effects went away:

BTW, Designer 2 showed the same undesired effect with my old, irregular pattern, so this 1.187 "bug" is not "fixed" in Designer 2. Designer 2 is behaving like 1.187. In my case at least the fix was to clean up my pattern.

lawrence
07-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I too saw the difference using some patterns with 1.187, but I don't know that I'd call it a bug. In looking at my pattern closely, Michael T pointed out that there were some irregularities around the edges (look closely at the right side, green edge) that caused an undesired effect in 1.187 that did not appear with 1.186:

I cleaned up the pattern by rounding the edges in the Pattern Editor, and the undesired effects went away:

BTW, Designer 2 showed the same undesired effect with my old, irregular pattern, so this 1.187 "bug" is not "fixed" in Designer 2. Designer 2 is behaving like 1.187. In my case at least the fix was to clean up my pattern.

what if folks don't have the pattern editor?- now they have what were previously good patterns that are now not working correctly in the "patched" version of designer - I have hopes this will be patched in the 2.xx versions... but this doesn't help those that have only the base software.

Is there a place people can go to download old versions of the designer software?

Lawrence

DickB
07-14-2013, 12:55 PM
what if folks don't have the pattern editor
I suppose they would use whatever software they used to create the pattern in the first place.

now they have what were previously good patterns that are now not working correctly
In my case, the old pattern was not doing what I wanted, but I don't know that I would say Designer is not working correctly. I intended the edge of my pattern to blend in smoothly with the surface of the project board. So I suppose the edge should have been a uniform height, say .001". But it wasn't. Some pixels were .001, some .002, some .005. 1.186 blended these smoothly, 1.187 and Designer 2 not so. Maybe the earlier versions were technically not working correctly - and hiding my error - and the later versions are now working correctly. Frankly, I don't know what behavior exactly changed, but I hesitate to call it "incorrect" or a "bug" without knowing more. In my case I sorta see what is happening and was able to fix my pattern.

Is there a place people can go to download old versions of the designer software?
My hard drive? ;) I generally keep older versions. But otherwise I don't know of a place.

liquidguitars
07-14-2013, 01:08 PM
that there were some irregularities around the edges

In 3D this is a selection cut, normally the 3D mesh would be sliced for a clean bottom.

two things are going on here the need to make a clean raster cut and keep the desired depth .082" and the ability to filter the mesh after the fact.

In 2.0 I am seeing major improvements in pierced cuts depths.

liquidguitars
07-14-2013, 01:50 PM
This is from the same raster object using "Puff" I used the PE filter "Round edge" and "Raise/Lower filter" then out to Lightwave to view the mesh.

From my carving test the piercing is much better in 2.0 with 90% cleaner cut out!!!! so something is improving.

round edge vrs Raise or lower filter.

liquidguitars
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Booleans cut:

liquidguitars
07-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Its a good idea to inspect the bottom as you can tweak it normally to remove some of the voids and possibly improve outline path quality.

In this image I have my stock object, rounded, and raise/lower I am using the 1/4 ball pattern bit. In this case the Rounded filter worked the best...

When I lowered/raised the object bottom " far right image" in PE I left it a little jaggy to show in its worst case scenario. The Raised/lower filter works well but not in this particular location so some experimenting is necessary to fine the best spots.

lawrence
07-14-2013, 09:55 PM
great inputs, thanks Dick/LG. Hope this helps you Terry.

Lawrence

DickB
07-15-2013, 10:54 AM
<deleted>Fresh batch of beta testers for you? :D

liquidguitars
07-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Fresh batch of beta testers for you?

Don't blame the testers I never had any issue with any install from LHR. I think the guys with XP need to consider that its not the OS they think it is...

DickB
07-15-2013, 11:51 AM
I was suggesting that, if several of us users have "screwed up computers", we might make good beta testers.

I am running Windows 7 and I can't install Designer 2 without getting the errors that I described. I have a problem that needs to be addressed.

liquidguitars
07-15-2013, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE]I was suggesting that, if several of us users have "screwed up computers", we might make good beta testers.

I am running Windows 7 and I can't install Designer 2 without getting the errors that I described. I have a problem that needs to be addressed. [/QUOTE

I see... strange you could have a virus try booting in safe mode and run your V checker.

lawrence
07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
My new laptop (quad core I7, 8GB DDR3, Win8, Lenovo Y500) comes in today and I am looking forward to putting designer 2.001 onto a clean computer (after I update drivers etc) to put it through its paces. I'm sure that some of the issues I have been running into are due to operator computer issues; this is the bane of many programmers and I sympathize. It will be useful for my own enlightenment to be able to seperate the issues that I am having between actual software "glitches" or "shortfalls" and those due to my own computer issues.

I have also been looking around to make sure that the computers that I've seen having issues meet the minimum requirements but am having trouble finding the "minimum required specs" sheet for 2.xx- is it different than those of 1.xx and in either case can we get pointed to the minimum specs so that we can ensure the issues aren't from our computers not meeting specs? I'm sure I'm just overlooking it somewhere but can't seem to find it.

V/r
Lawrence

RMarkey
07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Windows xp or higher, 1 gb ram, open gl 2.1 for litho preview.

Avoid built-in utilities that come with certain manufacturers' computers, or with certain internet providers. That xfinity app kills us every time... and no-one here has it to test.

eelamb
07-15-2013, 02:18 PM
For those asking for older versions, they are available on carvewright.com
Each version starts as "designer" followed by "_1_version number" (remove quotes), and ends with ".exe". designer 1.186 is designer_1_186.exe.
With this type in this address http://www.carvewright.com/assets/downloads/ Now add the name of the version you wish to download on the end. Thus designer 1.186 is http://www.carvewright.com/assets/downloads/designer_1_186.exe
Hope this helps others.

SteveEJ
07-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Windows xp or higher, 1 gb ram, open gl 2.1 for litho preview.

Avoid built-in utilities that come with certain manufacturers' computers, or with certain internet providers. That xfinity app kills us every time... and no-one here has it to test.

Is that the Comcast Xfinity system? That's all I could find on a search. Want to make sure I avoid it!

lawrence
07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
<deleted>

(here is what many folks expect as far as customer service when they are having trouble loading new software on their computers....
I at least hope for responses more like this than the above)

"We here at LHR understand that there have been unforeseen and unexpected stability issues regarding the new 2.xx release.
Our software engineers are working hard to troubleshoot the issues related to the vast complications and variations in our customers'
machines and hope to have a patch out as soon as possible. In the meantime, reports of errors can be reported to XXXX@XXXX.
We know that this is frustrating for those of you excited to try out this newest version of our revolutionary designer software and
appreciate your patience and understanding."

...it's pretty standard letter, and when given sincerely goes a long way toward placating angry customers who feel like they
have just paid $200 for a piece of software that is unstable or (in some cases) unusable on their computers.

We know y'all are tired and appreciate that y'all have put a lot of work into this software. There are some amazingly powerful
tools added and I will be happy to see your work pay dividends both intellectually and fiscally for LHR and its employees. This
can't happen if there is a real (or perceived) chasm between you and your customers.

V/r
Lawrence

switcher67
07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I have been on computers for over 30 years. I run 2.0 on windows 7 32 and 64 bit. No problem with older version. 2.0 crashes and yes it is pretty upsetting to pay $200.00 for a software that could have been implemented for half the price in the older version.

lynnfrwd
07-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Lawrence
That response was not from Customer Service, Sales or Marketing. It was from a frustrated software engineer trying to figure out what circumstances are creating crashes, which ones are due to old or underpowered computers, security systems and firewalls, bad ptns or mpc's that are cratering during the initial database builds, WMI issues or bad installs.

It would help to know what operating system and when the issue or crash occurs. Is it on registration, when it very first starts, a few seconds or minutes, on upload attempt, loading file, or using adv features?

They are working diligently to identify and resolve issues. If we have gotten abrupt in our responses, we apologize. We could all do with a little more patience, understanding and gentler tones.

CW-HAL9000
07-16-2013, 12:24 AM
When everyone is this frustrated the higher up's at LHR should take notice. Started out with unhappy customers now its internal as well. I have not bought it yet and I am unhappy. Glad I waited.

CW-HAL9000
07-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Don't blame the testers I never had any issue with any install from LHR. I think the guys with XP need to consider that its not the OS they think it is...

I wonder if there is a mix of financial abilities in the beta testors. In other words are all the beta testors as successful as Michael Tyler and liquid guitars? Who probably have the latest greatest computers and the know how to keep them that way? How many beta testors who are more the norm with a 5 year old gateway and just enough computer knowledge to get there CW to carve with occasional help from this forum. Like metallus said most who need help don't know what OS they have. Some of those should be beta testors. They are the true customer base.

lynnfrwd
07-16-2013, 12:44 AM
All he said was he has tried every OS and can't figure out what is different and why he can't repeat the issues.

lawrence
07-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Lawrence
That response was not from Customer Service, Sales or Marketing. It was from a frustrated software engineer trying to figure out what circumstances are creating crashes, which ones are due to old or underpowered computers, security systems and firewalls, bad ptns or mpc's that are cratering during the initial database builds, WMI issues or bad installs.

It would help to know what operating system and when the issue or crash occurs. Is it on registration, when it very first starts, a few seconds or minutes, on upload attempt, loading file, or using adv features?

They are working diligently to identify and resolve issues. If we have gotten abrupt in our responses, we apologize. We could all do with a little more patience, understanding and gentler tones.

Connie, I very much sympathize that you and the other folks are working hard to improve the software's situation. I also appreciate that you and the others can sympathize with some of us expressing our disappointment in the product we've paid for though I'm also disappointed in LHR's reactions to our questions and concerns about what our money is purchasing.

I still do not understand all the medium-term consequences of purchasing or not purchasing this software are and this is troubling to me...

We once again do sympathize with the stresses that you all are under to provide this product to us. Though this sympathy means that I will continue to try to be patient, understanding and will will remain tactful, I also do have expectations as a consumer that I do not feel were met by LHR when the product was put on the market. Thankfully, this forum is an expedient (and relatively private) route to express these disappointments in a constructive way.

To bring this back on topic, could LHR provide a template to report bugs/glitches? This may help us to all bring this software up to an acceptable level with regard to crashing/glitching. Tonight I have been updating/backing up my new computer and will (hopefully) be documenting my experiences with 2.xx on this brand new machine. I'm willing (though not thrilled) to load 2.xx as one of the first new programs on a fresh machine and compare it with my other machine if that will help troubleshoot to help the engineers find solutions to ensure that the 2.xx software functions stably in various real-world environments.

I know I ask tough questions- but just as I am willing to point out flaws, I am also willing to both propose and help implement solutions. (though certainly am less happy to do so when I am paying for the product...)

Those of us that are unsatisfied are going to be a pain in LHR's backsides no matter what happens, but if we work together we can at least be useful pains in your backsides...

V/r
Lawrence

lynnfrwd
07-16-2013, 07:46 AM
First of all, it is no NEWS FLASH, Lawrence that you are unhappy or dissatisfied. I think you have stated that once, maybe twice, on this forum.

What I would prefer to see you post on this thread is actual bugs, since it is a forum thread for Bug Reporting - Designer 2.001. I stated what information is needed:

Bugs are weeded out and posted in an actual reporting system by beta testers.

DickB
07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
I got a private message to uninstall Designer 2.001, then check that the Designer2 folder had been deleted (it had), then reinstall. The reinstall worked. I had tried this before unsuccessfully, but didn't check to see if the Designer2 folder had been deleted. I don't know why it did not work for me earlier, but did this time.

I don't have an old computer. I have a 6 month old computer with an Intel core i5-3450 CPU at 3.10 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ graphics card (Ok, that's a little old), 64 bit Windows 7, and an SSD and a hard drive.

Jeff_Birt
07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I wonder if there is a mix of financial abilities in the beta testors. In other words are all the beta testors as successful as Michael Tyler and liquid guitars? Who probably have the latest greatest computers and the know how to keep them that way? How many beta testors who are more the norm with a 5 year old gateway and just enough computer knowledge to get there CW to carve with occasional help from this forum. Like metallus said most who need help don't know what OS they have. Some of those should be beta testors. They are the true customer base.

It has nothing to do with the age or cost of the PC. I almost never have a newer PC, when I do buy a new one it is not the latest and greatest one. I'm a value shopper, I try to get the most for my money.

I work with folks on a daily bases with a variety of CNC related software. In the past five years I have come across a handful of cases where a new piece of software simply would not install or run properly because the OS was so messed up. This can come from viruses, malware, or users accidently deleting/replacing the wrong files. These have been from 7-8 year old PCs to new ones. In these cases the only real solution is to reinstall the OS and start from scratch.

I recently had an issue getting a piece of software to install from DVD. It would just hang up about 3/4 of the way through. Since it was distributed as an ISO I was able to mount the ISO as a virtual drive and it installed fine. Something with my DVD drive was going wonky. Situations like that are impossible for a software developer to anticipate, sometimes they can work around it if they get enough reports of the problem to understand what is happening.

Since this is a bug reporting thread please reserve it for such. The software guys are working really hard to take care of the bugs that have so far been reported.

brdad
07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I won't call it a bug, but a "button that does nothing" - I'm referring to the texture button that does nothing when pressed. Can't it be made to either cycle through the textures or if that can't be done at least activate the drop-down menu?

The Front and Rear buttons also would be nice if the currently selected button is "down", so you can verify what side of the board you are working with.

lynnfrwd
07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
I won't call it a bug, but a "button that does nothing" - I'm referring to the texture button that does nothing when pressed. Can't it be made to either cycle through the textures or if that can't be done at least activate the drop-down menu?

The Front and Rear buttons also would be nice if the currently selected button is "down", so you can verify what side of the board you are working with.

These should be in the Designer Wishlist thread.

fwharris
07-16-2013, 10:57 PM

At first I thought you were talking about the texture feature used in carve regions but I think you are talking about the board texture for having either wood grain, litho or none for viewing the board. If so you can edit your tool bar icons so you have the texture drop down button. See picture..

You can also do the same for the board rotation buttons.

brdad
07-17-2013, 06:19 AM
These should be in the Designer Wishlist thread.

I thought of this and briefly searched, but wrongfully searched for "feature request" confusing it with another forum I frequent. I wonder if it's time to start a new wishlist thread anyway now that we have a new version of Designer? It's also hard to tell is our requests are even heard and would be a neat to have a list pinned somewhere along the lines of "on the list", "under consideration", and "not currently practical or possible". Using the thumbs up feature there might be some indication of desire for a feature.

At first I thought you were talking about the texture feature used in carve regions but I think you are talking about the board texture for having either wood grain, litho or none for viewing the board. If so you can edit your tool bar icons so you have the texture drop down button. See picture..

You can also do the same for the board rotation buttons.

Correct, Those are the buttons I was talking about, I do have them on my toolbar, but their behavior is not similar to the other buttons. Try clicking the board texture button - it goes down, but does nothing (you need to click on the arrow next to it for anything to work).

fwharris
07-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Correct, Those are the buttons I was talking about, I do have them on my toolbar, but their behavior is not similar to the other buttons. Try clicking the board texture button - it goes down, but does nothing (you need to click on the arrow next to it for anything to work).

I think I am hearing what your saying but the way I am seeing the selection tool is that it shows you what the "current" selection is and if you want to change to a different view you need to select the drop down arrow to select and change to the view of your choice. It is the same for say the "rectangle/square" tool, if the rectangle tool is the one highlighted that will be the one used when you click on it. To change to the square tool you need to use the drop down arrow to change to the square.

lynnfrwd
07-17-2013, 11:55 AM

With the curser anywhere over the board, it says in bottom left corner whether you are front face or rear face.

WoodenWizard
07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Crashes even if I just open it and let it sit a few minutes. Tried importing an STL and all I get is the program disappearing. So far I have not been able to have it run more than a few minutes at most..

So I cut and pasted this from another of my posts. I could not use the new designer for more than a few minutes and was getting very depressed about it. I then read in a post that I can't locate, that it might be caused by the amount of projects and patterns I have on my computer (not just the favorites) The person posted they moved them to a external drive and disconnected drive. They also stated that the alternative was to keep starting Designer until it found all the files.

Well I got bored and kept restarting designer and low and behold my crashing eventualy stopped. I can even use the STL importer. It was a pain but I am much happier now.

Dave

lynnfrwd
07-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I am currently trying to write a Troubleshooting Designer Crashes Guide:

See this information:

Designer opens, but is sluggish or crashes shortly after opening:

Description: This issue occurs after Designer has appeared to open successfully. When you first install Designer 2.0, it will create thumbnails of patterns & projects, so that you can preview them before opening. This works in the background, but can slow down your software until it is complete. Depending upon how many ptn & mpc files you have will determine how long this will take. If Designer comes across a ptn or mpc that it cannot generate a thumbnail for, it may crash. The next time you go back into Designer, it will skip that file. Should it encounter another file, it may crash again. Designer will only try to generate thumbnails for files in the CarveWright folders, in the folder that is your default when hitting Open Project & in any other folder that you attempt to open using Designer 2. You may want to let this process run, while doing something else, checking frequently and then restarting Designer, if it has crashed.

Affected versions: Designer Version 2.00X

Fix: Designer is not broken. Once thumbnails are generated, it will only do this if you add new files or visit a new folder. If you have a ton of ptn & mpc files, you can put them in another folder, on a thumb drive or removable drive to stop the thumbnails from being generated.

SteveEJ
07-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Ok, I have had the exact problem on 2.0 (in demo mode) as described above.

I am very concerned that a system that crashes, as admitted in the description, is said to be 'Not Broken' as stated in the fix.

I have written MANY programs for myself in the past and one of the first portions of the program is error detection and what to do about it. Crashing the program or just quitting without explanation was never an option. The program, if it detects a condition like reading a file that is not in the proper format, should be programmed to simply skip that thumb generation and go on to the next one in the list. If just quitting or crashing is the norm then I am amazed.

I await fixes before investment. Sorry.

lynnfrwd
07-17-2013, 01:53 PM

I am very concerned that a system that crashes, as admitted in the description, is said to be 'Not Broken' as stated in the fix.

I have written MANY programs for myself in the past and one of the first portions of the program is error detection and what to do about it. Crashing the program or just quitting without explanation was never an option. The program, if it detects a condition like reading a file that is not in the proper format, should be programmed to simply skip that thumb generation and go on to the next one in the list. If just quitting or crashing is the norm then I am amazed.

That may be taken care of in the future, however, if you've already gone through the generation of thumbnails using the demo mode, then you wouldn't have to do it, again, after you purchase and register.

SteveEJ
07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
For information/debugging purposes:

On the Mac version the system does not crash or require re-running. It skips bad files and says preview not available. It re-curses thru the file directories correctly and seems to be building the thumbs normally. If they are using common code and building on Windows using a database library then the problem might be with the library itself or not looking at the error code the library returns. I'm sure your programmers already know that.

DickB
07-17-2013, 02:45 PM

I'm with Steve on this one. I also speak from the experience of my entire career in the firmware business.

I'm getting lots of crashes and few thumbnails generated. I have lots of folders and sub folders to keep my projects organized. It seems each time I access a folder to work on a project I get a crash. Open again, crash again. Just did it 6 times in a row on the same folder with only 12 projects in it. It's finally not crashing now when I select that folder, but two of the projects have no preview. (What caused the other 4 crashes?) Hard to do work this way. I guess the work-around is that I will have to transfer projects one at a time to a "working" folder, then move them back so I can keep my files organized. Unhandy.

BTW, what's wrong with the files for which a thumbnail can't be generated?

ladjr
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I have a problem which I don't see here. Every time I load Designer 2 it requires me to give a serial number. How ever if I don't it still proceeds and works fine.

mca
07-17-2013, 03:20 PM
In our internal testing, a project that won't generate a preview won't open in Designer either; It was either saved in a corrupted state due to a bug in the the wild at the time it was created, or otherwise become corrupted somehow (virus, drive failure, etc).

SteveEJ
07-17-2013, 03:38 PM
In your internal testing did Designer just quit or crash with a message when it tried to read these bad files? How robust is your error trapping in this regard? There are a lot of crashes on different OS's and configurations in the field.

edit: changed 'generate' to 'read'

lynnfrwd
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I have a problem which I don't see here. Every time I load Designer 2 it requires me to give a serial number. How ever if I don't it still proceeds and works fine.

Leo: I sent you the license file.

For others experiencing this:

Getting caught in “registration loop” that takes you back to page for your username & password or registration of activation code doesn't seem to take:

Description: This issue can occur for either registering Designer 2.0 or licensing any advanced features through 2.0 and usually happens when customers have lots of licenses.

Affected versions: Designer 2.0 & 2.001

Fix: This issue is resolved in update version 2.002 (soon to be released)

Temporary Workaround: The registration usually goes through, but is not evident in your software. Leave Designer 2.0 open, but minimized. Log onto your Customer Account (http://register.carvewright.com/) and check to see if it is license there. If it is, click the Download License File at the bottom of the page. Double click on the file.

If not, license it using the Activate Software/Pattern/Library/Project Serial Here link, click on ADD LICENSE for computer you want to add it to, click box for that item, then add password and apply changes.

brdad
07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Is there any danger of the preview file getting too big and causing Designer issues like the pattern file? My preview file is close to 1.5 GB and most of the files previewed have been relocated to other folders, so I am guessing the preview data is mostly dead data? I'm not showing any issues yet, and I know I can delete it, but my days for testing 2.01 are numbered anyway.

Maybe the preview files should have been folder-specific like the thumbs files in Windows...

RMarkey
07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, if your file system doesn't support huge files, you may run into a problem (ntfs, which is usually the default on vista,7,and 8 .

SteveEJ
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the insight. I must say that after the 'huge' favorite files, etc. in previous versions I was hoping that a different method would be used that was not file system dependent. Also, several of us have a VERY large number of MPC's, MPW's and patterns. Having a corrupt Favorites file is not a good thing. Perhaps you could list all of the critical files that would cause a loss of our files, etc so we can develop a script or program that would back these up on a schedule for safety.

DickB
07-17-2013, 05:11 PM
In our internal testing, a project that won't generate a preview won't open in Designer either; It was either saved in a corrupted state due to a bug in the the wild at the time it was created, or otherwise become corrupted somehow (virus, drive failure, etc).
Interesting. I get no preview, but the file opens in Designer 2 just fine. I can send you the file if you want to look at it - PM me an email address.

lynnfrwd
07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I had one open after it told me fonts were not on my computer.

brdad
07-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Here is a bug I just ran into but have not figure out how it happened or how to re-create it. I made a carve region and on the way moving my mouse to adjust the depth, I clicked or dragged something I should not have and now the carve region shows as going through the entire board, but when you go to edit the depth it is grayed out. I can re-size the region with no trouble, and I can make new carve regions. I can copy and paste the carve region and it has the same issue. Posted an mpc in case anyone wants to see if it happens on a different machine.

dbfletcher
07-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I see pierced is check.. im guessing you want to uncheck that

brdad
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I see pierced is check.. im guessing you want to uncheck that

Well duh, thanks for that.
Something I knew existed but never use. I didn't even realize it was there.

lynnfrwd
07-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Joe always uses pierced instead of cut path.

DickB
07-25-2013, 09:13 AM
I am using Ragg Mopp font from dafont.com at the request of a customer. The text is rotated 90 degrees on the board (as is my whole project). Notice how the center of the "n" is being carved - apparently it is being treated as a closed path.

On a hunch, I elongated the text, and it "carved" correctly. (I cannot use the text that way; just an experiment.) On another hunch, I rotated the unstretched text back, and the defect went away. In fact, all three other rotations were fine.

Designer 1 does not exhibit this behaviour.

A workaround for my project will be to rotate everything 180 degrees.

RMarkey
07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
what settings did you use for the font (point size, etc)

DickB
07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Here's a portion of the project.

henry1
07-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Here's a portion of the project.
Can't open it haven't got the 2.0 software yet maybe later on

SteveEJ
07-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Dick,

It did the same with Lucida Grand on the Mac version. Strange but it did it on only one of the three words. If I knew how to take a screen shot of a mac I would and upload it. Lucida Grand was built in and Designer2 used it as a best guess substitute.

Steve

SteveNelson46
07-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Unless I'm doing something wrong, I think I found another bug in Designer 2.001. I created a carve region with text (Times New Roman font) then used the "Edit envelope" tool on the text. Changed the bottom line to an arc and selected "OK". Then I Puffed the text to "bubble" with a depth of .125". The designer changed the size of the original text and won't allow me to resize. See example.

bergerud
07-25-2013, 01:16 PM
This bug was reported by idlink01 and I think it has been fixed in 2.002

SteveNelson46
07-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Oops! I guess I should have read the previous posts a little better.

SteveNelson46
07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
This bug was reported by idlink01 and I think it has been fixed in 2.002

bergerud,

I can't find the user name idlink01.

bergerud
07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Neither can I! Very strange, I made a record of his name when I explored and sent in the bug. I will look for the post.

TerryT
07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Is this the post you're looking for?

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23407-Designer-2-0&p=206918#post206918

bergerud
07-25-2013, 02:26 PM
That is it. Buried in the longest thread of all time! It was jdlink01

SteveEJ
07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Is 2.002 released yet?

lawrence
07-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Is 2.002 released yet?

per this thread, not yet but soon
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23699-Does-anyone-use-quot-cut-board-to-length-quot-prompt

Well, in 2.002 firmware, the rollers prompt has been moved into user settings. 2.002 should be released within a week.

I'd guess I should probably hold off another few days to make the review videos- I want to be sure to give it a fair shake before I post about it. (plus I am having too much fun learning my new equipment to actually use it... new computer, new audio technica mike, and new camera (Panasonic GH3... which is turning out some STUNNING video) )

There really are some powerful new tools on this new software and I hope that the patch fixes the bugs (and perhaps helps the new features feel a little more "complete" as some of them have some pretty glaring shortfalls that make them feel "undone") At any rate, steps forward are appreciated.

Lawrence

DickB
08-05-2013, 07:31 AM
I downloaded the mpc from this thread: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23783-Air-Carving-Bit-not-touching-board-in-some-passes&p=209488#post209488

Here is what it looks like in Designer 1:

Here's what it looks like in Designer 2:

What gives?

bergerud
08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
That seems very strange. Even stranger, is if you apply merge subtractive to the first or last line of text. It should not make a difference but it does.

bergerud
08-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Check it out now in 2.002.

fwharris
08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Check it out now in 2.002.

Worked for me. You?

bergerud
08-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Yes, that was why I said to try it! I think Dick just got that one under the wire.

farmer
08-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Designer 2.02 is doing odd things with the center line text when I look at it, it look like it is in outline mode not centerline and it also make the text that I have on a ark look like an oval. I attached two pic. one that I did in 1.87 and then how it look in 2.02.