PDA

View Full Version : Trying to join segments, interesting quirk in Designer

Jeff_Birt
02-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I was trying to create some very simple puzzel pieces to test cutting interlocked pieces. The idea was to create a vertical and horizontal segments with tabs having 1/8" radius bends and then top copy/translate then to the mating areas of four pieces arranged in a rectangle. The strange thing is when you try to attach two line segment with a set of arcs in them the arcs go crazy on one of them. I have tried constraints/no constraints and it does the same thing.

I just wonderd if anyone else had seen this.

BobHill
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Jeff,

That's strange, but then I've seen some mighty strange things in this vector software (meaning I'm still not used to the way it does things sometimes). How did you originally make the arcs on each side (right and bottom that is)? I'd say that by joining the bottom to the other three, somehow it's going back to the method you used to create them in the first place. Why I don't know. What happens if you start with one side and then go to each side in turn using the Line connection tool and when you come to where you wish the arc, make it, then continue to next side until you have your loop?

Bob

Jeff_Birt
02-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Bob,

It works if you connect line segments to one of the segments with the set of arcs, or if you draw it as you reccomend. I was trying to make it easy to duplicate the joing surfaces so that mating pices could be made easily.

I'll keep trying diffrent methods and see what happens.

Thanks,

BobHill
02-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Usually I've found that when you have an open non constraint where all other nodes are constrained, you get some real different line changes upon occasion. Why a constrained angle can suddenly go off at some weird angle when you apply another end segment (not all the time, of course and usually after a rather long string), I don't know, but usually I can fix it by going back to be sure ALL lines and nodes are constrained. It does occur when two sections are joined in those cases too. I guess I'm too spoiled with the way it's done in CorelDraw and Xara (and Illustrator), where what you create stays that way until YOU change it.

Bob