PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Noise and scortch marks when cutting

nickels76
06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I've had a new problem arise with my carvewright system.

When I cut I now hear a vibration/grinding noise and after a few cuts on the board I will get scortch marks from the bit.

I have done a cut motor test and it makes the same sound without the bit, I have re-lubricated the flexshaft with the graphite mix from carvewright and even replaced the flexishaft when that didn't work. I have tried running the cut motor test without the flexshaft installed in the truck and I didn't notice the grinding vibration noise. Could there be something loose with the rock chuck? It seemed pretty sturdy when I examined it without any unwanted movement in any direction when I gently pressed on it.

I've included a pic of the scorch marks. 63170

bergerud
06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
It sounds like the flex may be slipping in the top of the spindle, Take off the top hat and examine both the flex end and the square hole.

liquidguitars
06-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Could be the z motor attachment " 2 small screws " that hold the motor to the gear box is slipping this will make a grinding sound.

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2013, 11:17 AM
That little tin corrugated damper did not fall out of the bottom of the Truck? Officially known as a Tolerance Ring.

IF you remove the Top Hat, the thing that the Flex plugs into, is there oil sitting on top of the bearing? IF Yes, that can be a problem as it gets down inside the top bearing. Wipe clean.

As posted above, be sure you have not stripped out the square hole that the core sticks in.

Feel for any loose Roller Rail Bearings in the Y or Z.

AL