PDA

View Full Version : Split collet with solid carbide bits

KeystoneChuck
06-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Has anyone run a split collet with solid carbide cutting bits? I run them all the time with my CNC at work with no problems (I cut alum. with a 1/8" bit secured with a 1/4" split collet) except I have control of the cutting head rpm and the axis movement speed. Reading the manual it says not to use the split collet with the solid carbides. My only guess would be the speeds. Just thought I'd ask before I went and tried. I have about 200 (1/4" shank) bits at my disposal and it seems a sin to waste the option.

bergerud
06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
People have and say it works alright. I would only be worried in the full depth cutting operation when the bit does that resonating shrill. That is when a carbide bit could walk out of the collet. Other thoughts would be to rough up the carbide shank with a diamond file or use Loctite between the bit and collet. You might also like to make sure the chuck dog does not tighten over a split in the collet.

KeystoneChuck
06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
My buddy suggest the same thing with the Loctit. Didn't think about the chuck dog, I will take note. I will post my outcome when I get a chance to run apiece with a collet. Never thought of roughing up the shank. Thanks for the tips.

RogerB
06-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Keystone I have been using a collet from day one with my CW.I have only had the bit slip once.User error.

KeystoneChuck
06-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for info RogerB. What brand of collet are you using. We got some junk ones in the other week and know not to use them. They were oversized and couldn't hold any of our bits (not a Carve Wright machine).

lawrence
06-23-2013, 09:12 PM
I love my rock chuck split collet-- never had a slip, YMMV

Just FYI, the official word from LHR is to not use slip collets with the solid carbide (cut and carving) bits- I still use them but wanted to make sure you knew. It is nice to know all the information out there and then make your own decision.

Lawrence

KeystoneChuck
06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi Lawrence,
Yes; I said that in my first post about LHR saying not to do in the manual. I'm the type of guy that likes to cut the tags off of the mattress as soon as I get home...lol...Is "rock chuck" a brand? I am running the CarveTight spindel on a Version C machine. I see LHR sells a split collet also. Is that the one you use?
Thanks,
Chuck

lawrence
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
sorry, I missed that :)

The Rock Chuck was an aftermarket chuck that was invented/sold (still is) by a machinist and member here on the forum named Ron Justice. It was basically the predecessor to the Carvetight (the carvetight also simplified with a 1-piece spindle design)

I use a rock chuck with one of Ron's split collets - he sells other sizes here which work great with other sized bits
http://www.cw-parts.com/page2.html

I don't have a carvetight so I can't attest as to whether Ron's collets will work in it or not... hopefully someone else will chime in

Lawrence

henry1
06-24-2013, 01:35 AM
sorry, I missed that :)

The Rock Chuck was an aftermarket chuck that was invented/sold (still is) by a machinist and member here on the forum named Ron Justice. It was basically the predecessor to the Carvetight (the carvetight also simplified with a 1-piece spindle design)

I use a rock chuck with one of Ron's split collets - he sells other sizes here which work great with other sized bits
http://www.cw-parts.com/page2.html

I don't have a carvetight so I can't attest as to whether Ron's collets will work in it or not... hopefully someone else will chime in

Lawrence
Yes roch chuck works in the CT I use them all the time and work great

KeystoneChuck
06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know if CW-Parts.com is still in business? I have been trying to reach Ron to purchase the rock chuck assemble but I get no response sending to his e-mail. I was going to call him but there is no phone number on his website. I have also tried to contact him through PM on this forum. I just wanted to know if I should persue trying to reach him, or if someone knows that he is not doing this anymore.

dbfletcher
06-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know if CW-Parts.com is still in business? I have been trying to reach Ron to purchase the rock chuck assemble but I get no response sending to his e-mail. I was going to call him but there is no phone number on his website. I have also tried to contact him through PM on this forum. I just wanted to know if I should persue trying to reach him, or if someone knows that he is not doing this anymore.

He is a one man show so it is possible he might be on vacation. I ordered from him a few months ago. I would imagine he is still in business. I'd just continue to try.