PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path Trouble?

Rob Mulgrew
06-21-2013, 07:05 PM
630746307563076 Does anyone know what would cause the machine to cut so rough. Out of at least 50 but probably closer to 100 times doing cutouts this never happened. They always cutout smooth until now. The machine would move real slow and then start flying. The motor would sound normal and then it would start running at a much higher RPM. When it was cutting you can watch the truck moving in short jerky sections, not a continuous smooth cut like normal. The wood is pine and it was set to cut .25 each pass. Thanks

lynnfrwd
06-21-2013, 07:16 PM
What spindle do u have? QC or Carvetight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bergerud
06-21-2013, 08:05 PM
There was a software problem just fixed in 1.187 which caused cuts like that. If you do not have 1.187, that could be your problem.

Rob Mulgrew
06-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I have the Carvetight. I have right around 170hrs on the machine.
What spindle do u have? QC or Carvetight?

Rob Mulgrew
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
I do have the 1.187. I just upgraded it when the new keyhole function came out.
There was a software problem just fixed in 1.187 which caused cuts like that. If you do not have 1.187, that could be your problem.

Rob Mulgrew
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Could it be a problem with the mpc? I am trying to cut out this shield shape to mount some antlers to. 63079

fwharris
06-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I do not see any issues with the mpc.

Does the Z/Y truck move smoothly with the power off? Have you cleaned the Y rails recently?

Rob Mulgrew
06-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes it does move smoothly and I just recently took off all the covers and blew everything out, wiped it down and put some 3 in 1 oil on the rails. Tomorrow I am going to try a completely different cutout and see if it does the same thing. Thanks
I do not see any issues with the mpc.

Does the Z/Y truck move smoothly with the power off? Have you cleaned the Y rails recently?

bergerud
06-21-2013, 09:38 PM
If the machine was jerking and it is not software (I assume you tried a format on the card), you have to suspect problems with the x or y drive. If the machine was purposely hesitating, I would suspect an x tracking problem. Brass roller issues or stiff roller system. Rolled under belt?

liquidguitars
06-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I hate to say this but yes I think its a software issue... From my tests i am getting this jerky issue when assigning a 1/16" carving bit or the 1/8" cut bit to a offset path just running 0.10" deep. incidently if one selects the 1/16" cut bit it will move smooth.

fwharris
06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Yes it does move smoothly and I just recently took off all the covers and blew everything out, wiped it down and put some 3 in 1 oil on the rails. Tomorrow I am going to try a completely different cutout and see if it does the same thing. Thanks

During our machine maintenance session at the conference Chris Rawls stated that they do not lube the rails especially with any oil as it is just an attractant for dust to build up. If lubed they recommend a dry lube.

I am going with some of Dan's thoughts also. Could be an x drive issue maybe or even the head pressure to high.

liquidguitars
06-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Regarding oil: i use 3n1 on the glides after every raster carve, i found that it a good way to clean and for me it stops the z /y stalls. also i use a little steel wool to get the gunk off.

Rob Mulgrew
06-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I only use the 3 in 1 oil because that's what it used in the maintenance videos on the CW website and that's where I have been learning to take care of my machine. I am going to try to run a different project tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully its not a mechanical problem but a problem with the particular mpc. I should mention, I did enlarge this mpc slightly and even though it does not show up in designer, could the pixels be messed up now, causing the jagged edge? Thanks for all the input.
During our machine maintenance session at the conference Chris Rawls stated that they do not lube the rails especially with any oil as it is just an attractant for dust to build up. If lubed they recommend a dry lube.

I am going with some of Dan's thoughts also. Could be an x drive issue maybe or even the head pressure to high.

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2013, 10:43 PM
You could draw a big circle and assign a 1/8 inch cutting bit to it with a .1 depth and let it cut. Any slop in a loose bearing would show up... But it could snap the long bit too....

AL

liquidguitars
06-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Before you tear down your Cw ,Here is a good video of the jerky path issue I made a few days ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8A1-sHrlpM

Geomoo1
06-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the video. LOVE the song...

johnsonswamp
06-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Before you tear down your Cw ,Here is a good video of the jerky path issue I made a few days ago.

At 45 sec in you can see the bit scorching the wood, be careful I almost burnt my shop down from that, was caused by build up on the bit or just outright dull bit. Fresh wood seems to speed up the build up from my experience.

I had this problem with the old QC, was worn out and flopping and the jerking I assume was from the bit binding up as it tried to beat out a path. Could worn out spindle bearings do the same thing?

Rob Mulgrew
06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Yea, that is it. Being everything is tight, there is no play and moves smoothly with the power off I am assuming its a software problem and not mechanical. I have done a lot of cutouts on this bit but it still is low hours and all of my projects have been in pine, so the bit should not be too dull.

TerryT
06-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Pine can be a bit pitchy and foul the bit sometimes causing burning. If you do a lot of pine you should probably clean your bit often.

Rob Mulgrew
06-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I seen it recommended on the forum before before so I have been cleaning my bits with carb cleaner and a wire brush. You think that is the best way to clean the bits?
Pine can be a bit pitchy and foul the bit sometimes causing burning. If you do a lot of pine you should probably clean your bit often.

lynnfrwd
06-22-2013, 10:42 AM
If instead of a cut path, you add a large feathering and look at it in the software, is the feathering jagged? Could be the bottom of the pattern is jagged and needs to be smoothed or bottom layers removed to give flat bottom.

Rob Mulgrew
06-22-2013, 12:04 PM
I keep getting an error when trying to open that mpc. It says there are duplicate vertices?
Something you can try if it helps, I set it up using the 3/16 cut bit.

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Yes the trim tool added a extra vert... Try this one:
It says there are duplicate vertices?

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 12:32 PM
cleaning my bits with carb cleaner and a wire brush. You think that is the best way to clean the bits? Carb cleaner works really well for me 2...

bergerud
06-22-2013, 01:07 PM
If instead of a cut path, you add a large feathering and look at it in the software, is the feathering jagged? Could be the bottom of the pattern is jagged and needs to be smoothed or bottom layers removed to give flat bottom.

Connie is right. The original pattern outline is quite jagged. Zoom in and you will see that what you see is what you got.

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 01:17 PM
I agree is very jagged but he also states that the path speeds up and slows down like in my video.
The machine would move real slow and then start flying. Speaking of the video my path is very smooth and seem normal as long as I don't select the 1/16 carving bit or the 1/8" bit in tests only the 1/16 end mill operates smooth.

bergerud
06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I think the path might speed up and slow down because it had to zig-zag. Learned a new one here. It was the mpc.

I must agree with LG, the machine should not jerk on a smooth vector path. That is buggy behavior.

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
It's seems hard to isolate.

lynnfrwd
06-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Just cutting out a drawing tool shape should answer that question.

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
drawing tool shape The error seem s to be when using the outline tool or a offset. Assign a few bits to a offset path including a 1/4 ball-nose. If the path is smooth using one bit but not in the other you got something.

bergerud
06-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Maybe it depends on what the offset or outline was made from. A jagged bitmap pattern or a pattern with a vector boundary.

I think the lesson here is to look closely at bitmap outlines and offsets if you plan to cut out or assign a bit to these paths.

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 02:40 PM
only issue with that is the path in the video worked 100% last year...

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 02:43 PM
oh and the path in the video works if i set it up in Designer as the 1/16 endmill/cut bit.

liquidguitars
06-22-2013, 02:49 PM
it depends on what the offset or outline was made from. A jagged bitmap pattern or a pattern with a vector boundary.

yes this make two types of outlines paths Vector seems ok.

Rob Mulgrew
06-22-2013, 09:30 PM
631096310863107 Tried a couple more cutouts. The shield shape is a completely different mpc that I made with Gimp. While it came out much better than the last, the machine still cut in jerky motions. You can watch the sandpaper belts move real slow and then jump about an inch instantly. I tried a shelf bracket also and that came out good and cut normal. Could it be a problem with that particular shape?

chief2007
06-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Sounds like time for a good internal cleaning - Clean the Y and Z rails and pull the side cover and clean and lube the X gears.