PDA

View Full Version : By-passing switch on cover?

KeystoneChuck
06-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Before anyone flips out, the warranty has been up on my machine for quite so time; not hard to reach 30 days/10 hours of carving and I'm well over the time line if I purchased the extended warranty package. I got the same type of warranty on a used Pinto I bought;) . That being said I do short carver (1-1/2 hrs) if I were like some people on here with killer carve times I would definatly consider the extended warranty deals. I wanted to know if someone has by-passed the little swich (Part #171 Controler Cut Off Switch) on the top side of plastic cover. I know the cover is probably some sort of bullet proof acrylic to stop flying bits/debris:eek: or to stop someone who rides the short bus from putting their hand in their. But I was going to hook up my dust collector and really thought the idea of cutting the cover was going to bugger it up. And when I say by-pass I mean taking the switch out of the cover/hinge place and having the switch outside and making a manual switch activator/deactivator. No thoughts of unplugging or cutting wires. I then can leave the cover up during carves and quick disconnect the 4" hose during down time and flip the cover back down. Someone said that you can purchase a new cover if you didn't like the idea of having a cut cover but I see no replacement part number for it. Any thoughts? I'm open to ideas for getting a 4" hose to my "Fletcher Dust Collector Hood" and keeping the machine looking like it was meant to be there.

aokweld101
06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
my suggestion is to leave it alone the censors are not only for safety but it's for the machine's well being also, they have dust collectors that You don't have to mangle the top cover for the 4" hose I have the erwin dust collector and it's an easy fix I really like it and recommend it to anybody.

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Not going to flip out... but your thinking is flawed... The Cover Switch is a Safety Device. You are aware that IF at some time in the future if the C1 Capacitor snaps off on the X Termination Board that the Cut Motor CAN come on by itself.....

There are 2 cover switches... Left talks to the computer the right is wired on the return path of the cut motor. IF you bypass the right switch the cut motor could come on as you are changing a bit.

When I read about your accident joining the 8 or 9 digit club, I will remember to not get excited or flip out. We are all adults here and responsible for our actions.

Many use a dust collector and still use the safety switches.

The Broken C1 happened to 3 of my 4 machines. As Clint would say.... "Do you feel Lucky?"

AL

KeystoneChuck
06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I will admit it looks better, but I am still cutting the door down. What if I mess up the cut and/or the door cracks or chips during the cutting process. I know go slow take it easy but Newtons Law loves my shop. And when I don't see new doors avaliable I am reluctent to go at it. Thanks for the info, I will consider that unit if I go back to the drawing boards.

Geomoo1
06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I will admit it looks better, but I am still cutting the door down. What if I mess up the cut and/or the door cracks or chips during the cutting process. I know go slow take it easy but Newtons Law loves my shop. And when I don't see new doors avaliable I am reluctent to go at it. Thanks for the info, I will consider that unit if I go back to the drawing boards.
Here is the "new doors"... CLICK HERE (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=19810&cat=390&page=1)

KeystoneChuck
06-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Thank You. Do you know what them mean by "Out Of Stock 3-12-13"? Is that they became out of stock on that date or where they supposed to get a shippment on 3-12-13. I will keep checking back, thanks again.

fwharris
06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Thank You. Do you know what them mean by "Out Of Stock 3-12-13"? Is that they became out of stock on that date or where they supposed to get a shippment on 3-12-13. I will keep checking back, thanks again.

That is the out of stock date....

The clear cover cuts very easily with a dremel type cut off wheel...

brdad
06-21-2013, 01:12 PM
If you were to put a manual switch on it, you should use a double pole switch so you disconnect both the circuits the cover switches control. Or better yet, with a DPDT center off switch, you could switch between forced on, forced off, or cover switch modes.

mcQ
06-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't recommend bypassing the cover switches as they are a safety to prevent the cut motor from starting while changing bits and also stop the machine when the cover is raised. The cut for the Erwin Products Dust Devil is a simple straight line
and I have found that using a Dremal or RotoZip with a 1/8" Guide Point bit with a straight edge clamped to the cover works well. For best results use a hardwood guide such as maple or oak so the guide on the bit don't dig in and just go easy. You may have a small amount of melted plastic but it will come off easy with a file and clean up with some fine sandpaper and it will look like it was made that way. Also, stay with the small 1/8" cutter larger router bits such as a 1/4" 2 flute bit may break the cover.
Please see the installation instructions for my Dust Devil at the bottom of this web page:
http://erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

If you need further assitance please feel free to call: 417-449-7760

Erwin

mcQ
06-21-2013, 03:13 PM
I just looked and CarveWright shows the complete head cover assembly availible for $39.64 which at worst case may cost more than just the cover but don't show as back ordered.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16212&cat=382&page=1

Erwin

http://erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

switcher67
06-21-2013, 04:07 PM
The safety switch is there for a reason. If the machine get too hot you can flip the cover, cool down the machine and continue where you left off. The other is for replacing the bits. My cut on the cover was not pretty but almost straight. Following the instructions for installing the dust devil and you can't go wrong. It works great. I went to Lowes and got a plastic strip that goes around the panels in a shower stall, cut to length and it fits perfect. Covers my not so pretty cut.:p