PDA

View Full Version : Things I like about Designer 2.0

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2013, 09:13 AM
This thread is to discuss the Positive Side of Designer 2.0 and Features and Capabilities we see useful.

I grew tired of the:

"I'm holding my breath and stomping my feet until LHR gives us 2.0 FREE"

"I am not going to recommend the machine to anyone until LHR gives us 2.0 FREE"

What I am looking for NOW it the POSITIVE Side of Designer 2.0 and it's CAPABILITIES. That's what the machine is all about... Carving. You won't have to wade through all the "Pouting" to get to the good stuff.

NO Whining about the price, save it for the other thread.

AL

easybuilt
06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
I agree with you Al, thanks. I got 2.0 at the conference and still playing with it but a cool thing is you can your patterns in a widow without opening the file.

fwharris
06-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Al,

I second Tom's comment on the preview window.

I have only played with it a small amount but so far the new text tools for applying text to any line shape/form, control over spacing and height are great additions.

bergerud
06-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I do not have 2.0 so I cannot praise it yet. But, one thing I do like is the "old version becomes the default when the new version comes out". I think (hope) this means that people who cannot afford to pay for the newest releases will not be totally out of the loop. They will just be lagged behind a year or so. I think it is important for the helping, sharing, and pattern selling community that users are, on the most part, operating with the same software. (Sorry Al if this is not what you had in mind for this thread but, it is positive!)

RMarkey
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
This is what we're trying desperately to avoid:

<http://www.dilbert.com/2013-06-13/>

lynnfrwd
06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
This is what we're trying desperately to avoid:

<http://www.dilbert.com/2013-06-13/>

Are you saying that we are trying to keep Designer software on a platform that won't get left in the dirt (unusable) because Windows & Microsoft changed something?

liquidguitars
06-21-2013, 12:40 PM
No I think he saying its good to be current with all systems and not guild the Lilly.

Old Salt
06-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I,m happy it not more some software cost 10 times this amount.
Things Change - just think we have had this software for many years with just a few updates (free)
Glad to see the price down for the old guys like me.

James RS
06-23-2013, 06:33 AM
I like this, what other features have been added. Oh please do tell

I agree with you Al, thanks. I got 2.0 at the conference and still playing with it but a cool thing is you can your patterns in a widow without opening the file.

chief2007
06-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Liking what I am seeing with 2.0. Looking forward to reading the promotion to see what other features it has.

mtylerfl
06-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I couldn't resist showing a screenshot of the new LITHOPHANE View in the Designer 2 Upgrade! Been having fun playing with it just now. It is so nice to be able to see a preview of how the litho will come out BEFORE carving it! The preview also updates when you change your Bit Optimization settings! So cool!

bergerud
06-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I see those extra buttons. You really do like to tease! That feature does look cool. I wonder how WYSIWYG it is. It will be interesting to see a carve to compare.

henry1
06-29-2013, 11:46 AM
I see those extra buttons. You really do like to tease! That feature does look cool. I wonder how WYSIWYG it is. It will be interesting to see a carve to compare.
Have to agree with bergarud

mtylerfl
06-29-2013, 12:04 PM
I made a couple extreme close-up screen captures of the Litho View so you can see how Bit Optimization is updated in the preview. Sorry - the eye looks slightly creepy that close up! The photo is my son Benjamin. (Don't tell him I'm posting this stuff.)
;)

fwharris
06-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Michael,

Cools stuff! Can't wait for the updated version to come out...

lawrence
07-09-2013, 02:03 AM
There are several things about the new software that I find very nice

The edit envelope tool is EXTREMELY powerful, quick, and I can only imagine that we've only scratched the surface as to what is going to be possible with it. (round jig, tapering parts, etc)
The text tools are still lagging on my computer (this could very well be my computer), but the new format allows for a much higher degree of control - cool effects are very simple to accomplish and many dingbat effects that were previously only available on either circles or by manually placing individual letters, are now relatively easy to put into place (I'm still learning spacing etc)

I don't have to agree with everything about this software or how it is being released to see that It is obvious that the designers and others at LHR put a lot of work into it.

(as my wife put it to me tonight... "remember what you always tell me when I am upset about something, put yourself in their shoes") I understand that LHR must be proud of this software as it took a ton of work. They do have reason to be proud of it as the main features of this upgrade are deceptively strong and allow for additional ease of creativity when programming.

I'm sure I will be finding many uses for several of the new features enabled by this software,

Lawrence

ps- additional feather control is very nice too

DickB
07-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Centerline text depth of cut has been increased a bit over .1", making it possible to use bigger letters with a clean v cut.

Underdog
07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Well that's definitely a plus. That was one of my main disappointments with the centerline feature to begin with. Now if they'd just increase that to total control over the depth... I did notice that the 90° v-bit that sells in the set had what looked like a 3/4" diameter. That would surely allow for at least a 3/8" deep cut with the full 3/4" diameter engaged.

DickB
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Darned close. Mouse pointer read .359".

gregsolano
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Tried the demo, just not enough there to justify the price to me. Only problem is that if 3.0 is good enough to buy its going to cost me even more! Since this thread is about things I like about designer 2.0,........ I like that I don't have to buy it to keep using my Carvewright.

lynnfrwd
08-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I was so excited about being able to rotate the board 90 degrees to see your project in portrait without getting a crick in my neck.

Now, I'm even more excited that the next release will have the ability to turn the back side of your board 180 degrees, so you can go from front to rear 180 and make sure your two-sided card is lined up properly.

Just remember to roll it over in the machine, not flipping end to end.

fwharris
08-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I was so excited about being able to rotate the board 90 degrees to see your project in portrait without getting a crick in my neck.

Now, I'm even more excited that the next release will have the ability to turn the back side of your board 180 degrees, so you can go from front to rear 180 and make sure your two-sided card is lined up properly.

Just remember to roll it over in the machine, not flipping end to end.

What is the timing of the next release???

lynnfrwd
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Not sure....soon.

TerryT
08-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Has the issue that has been mentioned in 187 been addressed in 2.?? And in 187 for that matter?

rcdages
08-02-2013, 02:50 PM
It just keeps getting better all the time with designer.

All at LHR/CW are doing wonderful things.

I love designer...............

lynnfrwd
08-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Has the issue that has been mentioned in 187 been addressed in 2.?? And in 187 for that matter?

I know it has been / is being address. That is all.

carrothers
08-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I can't seem to find any toggle for rotating the board 90 degrees....I'm sure it's right in front of me...help? I like the ability to put the letters onto a curve...now if I can just figure out how to put the letters inside a waving banner....when I drew a banner using the connected lines the only way I could add the letters was on top of the banner not inside the banner. And the banner wouldn't carve unless I chose a carve out region and I finally found a work around by adding a "pattern" to the bottom of the carve out and putting a .001 depth on it. I know it's the operator and not the software...

bergerud
08-02-2013, 11:09 PM
The board rotate is in the view menu and also there as a pull down beside the F (front) button. Click the small down arrow.

Post an mpc of what you are trying to do.