PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Damper Replacement

tierman
06-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Yesterday I was about to change bits and noticed a lot of side to side movement in my chuck and thought the bearing had gone bad. Talked to Al (Digitalwoodshop) and he suggested that I look for the "corrugated spacer" laying somewhere in the bottom of my machine. He was spot on,(thanks Al) found it laying on the bottom on the keyboard side. Now my question, how do I get the dang thing back in??? I can get it started over the bearing but not all of the way in. Can I tap it up in there with a hammer or do I have to take the spindle apart? All of the posts that I have found have said push it back in and dimple around it or locktite but "I gotta get ur in first". Any suggestions are much appreciated.

henry1
06-15-2013, 07:20 AM
You have to take out to do a good job ,,go here to make a puller
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18052-Spindle-Puller/page3&highlight=puller+truck
tiermam to bad your far away I would do it for you

bergerud
06-15-2013, 09:01 AM
I think Henry is right. You have to take the spindle out. The suggestion by LHR has always been to replace the truck (or send it in to be repaired). This is what I would do:

Remove the flex, take off the top hat, and remove the clip. Before having to make the puller, you could try and tap out the spindle shaft. The important thing to realize is that the bottom bearing stays on the spindle. Arrange some wooden blocks under the z truck which will not interfere with the bottom bearing as it comes out. Now tap gently on the top of the spindle to push it out of the top bearing. Use a hardwood dowel or brass punch. Be careful not to damage the thin edge of the clip slot. How hard to try this is up to you. It can be punched out. Some are easier than others. The biggest risk is damaging the top bearing. The bearing, is, however, a standard bearing which is easily replaced. If you feel that it cannot be safely punched out, you can make the puller described.

Let us know when you get the spindle out.

bergerud
06-15-2013, 09:24 AM
As an aside, these rings are called tolerance rings. They have many beneficial features. They do, however, under heavy vibration conditions, tend to "walk out". (ie. unbalanced QC or CT). LHR or anyone buying tolerance rings might be interested in these which have tabs to prevent the "walk out".

http://www.bearings.saint-gobain.com/rencol-hvt-rings.aspx

tierman
06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Henry1 & Bergerud - Thanks for your input and I'll give it a try. All I can do is mess up the bearings which I thought were shot to begin with. Rog

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Good Luck !!!!

Keep us posted.

AL

tierman
06-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Gotta say a big THANKS to Digitalwoodshop, henri1 and bergerud for the help the last two days! We are back and runnin. I did drive the spindle out and cleaned everything up. The top bearing was filthy, most likely from over lubing the flex shaft. It took a little more persuasion then I was planning to get the spindle shaft out but put it back together and runs like new now. I did use some blue Locktite on the tolerance ring (hopefully stays in). I have to add this, this machine can be a real pain in the neck but it is also the easiest complicated machine to work on. With all the help and knowledge on this forum I would not trade it for any other cnc out there. Again, guys a big thank you.

bergerud
06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Good to hear you got it fixed.

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Good JOB !!!!

AL