PDA

View Full Version : round tree slabs

alias
06-13-2013, 05:52 PM
is it possible to use a round piece of tree slab and get the carvewright to carve it. does it require a jig and if it does anyone have a designed jig for this

DickB
06-13-2013, 06:18 PM
It's possible, limited of course to about 14" wide. You would need a jig. I haven't done it, but use jigs or sleds all the time. Look for the Tips and Tricks on sleds at carvewright.com.

Digitalwoodshop
06-13-2013, 08:37 PM
For one, you will need to be sure that the sled has side rails and the slab does not protrude above the rails or a JAM and Broken X Gear will result... A method of mounting the slab is with Hot Melt Glue and wood wedges... Limiting the screws...

Second... Over on Wood Web you will find info on properly drying slab wood. You are likely going to get a crack in the slab that will look like a slice of pie missing as it drys. They make some stuff you can soak the wood in that helps replace the water with a chemical that reduces the cracking....

A CUT in the slab can at least give the crack a manageable place.... As in your design.... Managing where it fits in the overall design..

Good Luck,

AL

tierman
06-14-2013, 05:29 AM
Alias, Absolutely!!!!I prefer doing slabs and yes they need to be done with a sled. They can be a pain in the rear to get the machine to recognize but masking tape helps a lot. Please feel free to contact me and I will pass on any info I can to help you. Check out www.pcmcustomwoodworks.com (http://www.pcmcustomwoodworks.com)

CarverJerry
06-14-2013, 11:26 AM
I've made a few from slabs, I also searched for different ways to treat the wood and used the 50-50 water and dishsoap to soak the wood in for a week then let it dry out before I carved it. Also used clear poly on the bark to help hold it in place. I used a sled using hot glue to hold it in place. So far (three years) it hasn't cracked yet.